Beechworth/ Yack

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Heading to Beechworth this weekend with the bike.

First time riding in the area so any suggestions/ trail conditions/ local knowledge would be great. Yes, I've already read up on the relevant websites & checked out trail maps.

I'm also wondering if we should make time to head over to Yackandandah for a spin while we're so close. Family holiday, so time as always is limited, but there is some talk of the girls going for an explore over there, so might make sense.

sedifus

Likes Dirt
I was up on Australia day weekend early this year. I thought Yackandandah was great. Hand cut, well maintained, xc trails. A lot easier to link together a ride also compared to Beechworth as they have 3 clear longer loops, compared to the tight criss-cross of Beechworth. That said I've only been to Beechworth once outside of a race and, while I definitely enjoyed it, found it start-stop.

kbekus

Likes Dirt
heh, I really enjoyed the blue loop at Beechworth. It *is* fairly tight and technical in places but has some short sections of flow too. It's definitely a tech XC course.

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
There’s plenty of riding to keep you entertained in Beechworth. It's a regular haunt for us and we were there for several days two weeks ago.

The MTB park is rocky with trail design that takes advantage of much of the natural features and good fun. The best line is often right over the top of stuff. The layout is a bit of a spider web of trails which is an emerging problem with bike parks around the world but no biggie.

Yack trails are the opposite with more open flowing singletrack that has a sense of journey and arguably created like that in protest of spider web trail design. You do however need time at Yack to experience those trails.

Flame trees, just 5km ride out of Beechworth along the rail trail is good fun too. Worth the effort to ride out there and do a couple of loops. It’s directional and again takes in natural features available. It’s a smart bit of trail that rewards short climbs with flow that invites the rider to the get up off the saddle.

Beechworth brewery is a good stop after a ride for a pint of Saison and the family will enjoy the food there as well. If you ride a “desirable” bike you’ll probably make friends with some of the local riders. The town is switched on with great support for the MTB riding community. If you’re camping as Lake Sambell you’ll see plenty of riders going by. Take lights if you want to join in on the night riding fun.

Take bikes for the family. Plenty around for the kids to pedal.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys.

Yep, camping at Lake Semball. Might hook up with some like minded souls around the park. Sounds like I should make the effort to get to Yack.

Roll on sneaky 4 day weekend

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
If it suits your schedule there is a Sunday ride at Yack that leaves at 8 am from the corner w the Park end of main shopping street opposite the school.ie Wellsford and High st .
2 groups slower and faster.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If it suits your schedule there is a Sunday ride at Yack that leaves at 8 am from the corner w the Park end of main shopping street opposite the school.ie Wellsford and High st .
2 groups slower and faster.
Great, thanks mate.

How long roughly?