Beginner: Needing a little bit of help deciding on a bike.

b0gn

Cannon Fodder
Hello everybody. I am new to this website and I'm looking for some advice on a bike to buy. I am currently riding a Giant Boulder 4 with some cheap and old shocks I got from a friend and it is serving me well with riding around locally and the occasional weekend or two of offroad and fire trail riding, and I am looking for something better. I'm used to having the outstretched leg and high seat type of bike, but I have been looking at jump bikes and downhill bikes. Do you guys reckon my bike would be worth upgrading if I want to go into more serious and hardcore offroad stuff, or should I just buy a whole bike off of here? I am looking to spend roughly $500 on either upgrades or a bike and any help would be appreciated.

T-Rex

Template denier
You might want to elaborate on your definition of "serious and hardcore". Do you want to get into riding more challenging single track XC, or are you talking about jumping?

If you are talking about more serious XC, spend your $500 on decent forks for our boulder, plus a better rear derailleur and shifter, and a more narrow saddle, for a better XC experience on that bike.

If you are talking about getting some air, don't upgrade the Boulder, get a second hand jump bike like a STP or similar, and keep your boulder for XC.

$500 will only buy you trouble in a DH bike, you will need a bit more budget for anything worth buying.

T-Rex

Template denier
Those are both OK as jump bikes. The P3 has a bit better spec, and the 20mm axle in the fork would make the front end stiffer and better suited if you wanted to try a bit of DH, but you would need to fit a front brake.