Beginner wanting to improve bike handling skills

Anna85

Likes Bikes
Hi there, I am new to XC trail/ basic DH. I love it, and try to ride every day. (I ride in the Lynton park (SA)... albeit on the same green/blue runs! However, i find myself constantly walking up the same rock ledge's/down drop offs as i am just not confident in my own abilities. Is there anywhere i can go/ some tips in bike handling anyone can give me so i can improve?! Thanks :)

Misplaced

Formerly Unfit
I live near the top of Lynton.

locally theres a small company called 'EscapeGoat' run by Ian and Debra. They hold skills clinics almost every weekend. check 'em out - www.escapegoat.com.au

also, if you just want to ride with others, more detail on the Adelaide riding community here - www.amtbc.com/forum

but some tips? you may know these, but:

1.Look where you want to go. dont look at the corner or the tree on the corner!
2.front/rear braking should be 70/30
3.try not to brake in corners, brake before the corner. you will have more grip and exit speed
4.get your bike set up well
5.when tackling a tough loose uphill climb like some sections of Lynton, try to stay seated or weight rear tohelp the back wheel get traction. Also, your lowest gear isnt always the best for tricky climbs, you need to be able to put the power down but not spin the wheel.

Last edited:

driftking

Wheel size expert
that word confience is huge in riding as everyone knows, it couldbe the differance between a podium and 20th or a brillant section and a crash.
following people on the trails is a great way to learn.
As you are new to riding start off small, sometimes it might seem stupid doing a tiny 1 ft drop but just continue going bigger and bigger until your confident on anything you will find on a trail. start things slow and work your way up to been faster and going bigger.
Watching and asking other riders who are better than you for advice will be a huge help.
As mentioned mastering mountian bike skills is a good book which will cover all the basics/fundamentals of riding that can be applied to all styles of mtb.

Last edited:

NetBiker

Likes Bikes
I recently went through the same thing you did. The best advice I could give is just have a crack at it. You may fall off once or twice but it doesnt actually hurt and you would be suprised what your natural ability is. Another thing is commitment, like most things if you half go in your more likely to hurt yourself or fall then if you just dedicate but the key to being commited is all physcological I guess.

Anna85

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys!!!
just a question though... Misplaced you said:

As i'm finding i'm using my rear brake too much which is resulting me in sliding all around the place... so should i be predominantly on my front brake? ...even on downhill sections.

(you also might know the section im getting stuck on ... on Tunnel X-Over it dips down slightly over the tunnel and then a slight rock face upwards... any clues on that?!)

hazza6542

Eats Squid
With braking, I always use my front brake over my back, no matter what kind of trail section I've just entered. Weight placement is also very important in this, where your body is in relation to your bike. If you've just gone into a downhill section and you're braking, push your weight rearwards and you'll be able to pull the front brake that little bit harder, while also preventing yourself from tipping over the bars.

Locking up your back brake is just a matter of learning how hard you can pull on the brakes at certain speeds and on what surface, like pulling harder on road surface than loose gravel, rocks etc.

With jumps and drops and other things like that, start small. Don't rush into huge jumps and just expect it to come to you. Find drops that are maybe only a foot tall to start off with, somewhere like a park, where you won't go tumbling onto rocks and roots or other things like that. Just practise getting your bike to stay flat as the wheels go off of the edge. I used to practise off gutters, only tiny ledges, but just try to pull up and lean back just enough as the wheel goes off the edge that both wheels hit the ground simultaneously.

But still, as it's already been said, confidence is key, and following someone is helpful. I did this the other day riding into a double I'd only ever done once before that didn't exactly end smoothly. Following someone else into the jump/drop/rockgarden/whatever, tells you how fast you need to be going, how to position yourself and everything you need to know before you try it yourself. Once you've done them yourself, you won't be able to get enough of them and you'll be wondering what was so hard.

Hope that helped a bit, happy riding :)

driftking

Wheel size expert
Thanks guys!!!
just a question though... Misplaced you said:

As i'm finding i'm using my rear brake too much which is resulting me in sliding all around the place... so should i be predominantly on my front brake? ...even on downhill sections.

(you also might know the section im getting stuck on ... on Tunnel X-Over it dips down slightly over the tunnel and then a slight rock face upwards... any clues on that?!)
when riding DH as in a proper DH trail your rear brake is primarly used for control, that is helping putting the bike ina new position or skiding to get some more angle on a corner etc.Your front brake is predominatly used to slow you down. off course it will feel a little odd using front brakes only at first but once you learn how to brake effectively with the front it will be well worth it. I am still very rear biased and need to use my front brake more. I believe it has to do with momentem of riding and using the front brake stops it at the front where the momentum is been forced and has no where to go,this slows you up faster and helps place your weight over the front, were using the rear is like pulling a car up from behind, the momentem is still running and been transfered into the front of the bike.....I think.
someone correct me if im wrong :)

Last edited:

Geek

Squid
There is a shit load of info here:

http://www.imbikemag.com/technique.php?page=5&ipp=7#content

which helped me out.

"Mastering mountain bike skills" by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack is another good resource. You can get it fairly cheap on some online bookshops ($25) or if you're good at finding stuff on the net you can find it for free :)
+3 internets for Burkie.:cool:

The articles in IMBikeMag are awesome. I made a couple of small changes to my setup and technique on the weekend based on articles in the first 2 editions and they paid off in spades.

Found an ebook copy of Mountain bike skills while I ate brekky today. Happy to share the link, but not sure of the protocol here. PM me?

T-Rex

Template denier
Plenty of good advice in this thread, I'll add a couple of items.

If it's a bit of a trek to get out to your local tracks every day, you can develop your skills riding nearer to home, and you don't need much in the way of terrain features. A simple gutter can be used to ride up and down, practicing getting your timing right to lift your front wheel up, pedal kicks going down, bunny hops, getting confident hitting the gutter at an acute angle, ete etc. So just try and ride your bike as much as possible, even if it's somewhere local and not at the trails.

On the subject of braking, when approaching a corner, get your braking done early before the corner when you still have the bike pointed straight, and be completely off the brakes as you enter the corner. This technique achieves several things:

• you can brake harder and therefore later with the bike upright, especially with the front brake,
  • when you are in the corner the tyres grip a lot better if they only have to cope with cornering forces and not braking forces as well,
  • and you will carry more exit speed out of the corner, thus conserving energy

EDIT: Rereading this thread, I see that Misplaced mentioned the point above, anyway here's a bit more of an explanation of why it's an important technique.

Last edited:

doggus

Squid
When entering corners, you can apply some of the car racing concepts:
-Brake smoothly before entering the corner from the outside 'lane'
-Keep head in direction you want to travel in
-'Drift' using your momentum into the corner and accelerate while exiting the corner to ensure you don't slide excessively and lose speed unnecessarily
-Using your front brake will displace your weight over the handlebars, so keep this is mind when deciding ratio of rear/front braking

S.Rademaker

Likes Bikes
The best thing to do is get back to basics and get the base fundamentals solid first before you progress alot of riders these days lack the basic and it helps with advance skills. All the best!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
driftking and doggus both have made a really good point. Suspension manufacturers spend ages working out the mechanics involved in anti-squat, roll and all the other forces that act on the wheels and body of vehicles. The effect of cornering and braking on mass can make or break mountain biking.

Watch the great XC riders - they flow uphill. So do the great DH riders flow downhill. Riding can be counter-intuitive. Sometimes you have to let your body flow down or up the trail on a line that is different to your bike. Think about it like this - going around a sharp corner, your front wheel should be outside the line of your body and going fast through an off-camber corner your rear wheel may be on a different line to your body and the trail. Braking can advantageously move you over the bars into a line different to the bike. Or it could all go bad if your momentum does not flow with the trail.

Momentum (speed) helps you ride over sh**. Going faster in slippy or wet conditions can really help with grip and speed out of corners. Across tech stuff, speed takes away some effort from what comes next and helps prevent deflections from rocks, roots etc.

Listen to the advice listed above it is all really good, but just try to feel the bike on the trail and let it work as much as possible so you can just look along the trail and flow towards your next sighter. Also re-do trails over and over trying different approaches to obstacles until you find your own personal riding style and preferences.

And have fun and give us pics...

Exie

Likes Dirt
Not that I'm a very good rider, but the things that really helped me include:

a) Riding with guys better than me. Learnt heaps. See also comments about learning to judge the right speed and watching their body move in relation to the bike
b) I learnt some handy bits from DVD's like "Fluidride - like a pro", they start with the basics like breaking, cornering etc and get more advanced as you go.

As everyone has said, practice practice practice

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
pretty much all of the above and one other thing, dont be afraid to crash. it is, unfortunately, an integral part of the game, untill you stack it a few times on a particular corner or drop blah blah blah you wont get it right. it doesnt hurt as much as it looks and learning how to crash and fall safely (or as safely as you can) is important, its the difference between finishing the ride with some good pull up a sandbag war wounds or going home in and ambulance.

keep on plugging buddy.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
"Mastering mountain bike skills" by Brian Lopes and Lee McCormack is another good resource. You can get it fairly cheap on some online bookshops ($25) or if you're good at finding stuff on the net you can find it for free :)
$26.66 delivered from www.bookdepository.co.uk. i've used them a lot and always had good service.

lots of good advice thanks guys, i'm following this thread with interest.