BELL sweep xc helmets & your thoughts on them

tu plang

knob
And not hope to race with it here. needs to be Aus approved for that. Which the CRC ones arent.
Assuming its a helmet that is also available and approved in Australia you would be very unlucky to get denied entry to a race. It varies to some extent between disciplines but in DH (not sure about XC) im fairly sure the rule was an australian standards approved or equivalent internation standard helmet.

setonz

Likes Dirt
Assuming its a helmet that is also available and approved in Australia you would be very unlucky to get denied entry to a race. It varies to some extent between disciplines but in DH (not sure about XC) im fairly sure the rule was an australian standards approved or equivalent internation standard helmet.
Not sure about DH but at two 6hr races (xc) and one roadie race i competed at , people were being asked to show the inside of their helmet for proof of the sticker.

craign

Likes Dirt
I think MTBA rules are Australian or equivalent and Cycling Australia rules are Australian standard only as are the road rules! No standards sticker and you may as well not be wearing a helmet in the eyes of the law.

toby

Likes Dirt
And not hope to race with it here. needs to be Aus approved for that. Which the CRC ones arent.

meh i just peeled the sticker off my old helmet and stuck it on the one I bought from CR...

Reality is it is approved for use here, it is just not sold by a local retailler. Same helmet.

The money i save on the helmet i spent in my local shop on clothing, servicing and tubes!

tu plang

knob
meh i just peeled the sticker off my old helmet and stuck it on the one I bought from CR...

Reality is it is approved for use here, it is just not sold by a local retailler. Same helmet.

The money i save on the helmet i spent in my local shop on clothing, servicing and tubes!
i'm usually the first person to jump on the support your local shop crusade but i must admit when it comes to helmets everyone wants the best. however its hard to justify shelling out $300 for a disposable item like that, i can't even get most high end helmets cheaper than CRC at wholesale.

setonz

Likes Dirt

Not quite so bro..... both the Giro Atmos and the Bell Sweep had to have thier straps modified or where they meet the helmet changed (i cant quite remember) before they met aus standards. Hence why it took so long before they were available for sale here. no coincidence they both come from the same factory.

Bodin

GMBC
Good, but not brilliant.

I've used Bell helmets for a while now, as I was originally a Giro dude and then they started completely f***ing up their retention systems, so I gave up Giro and went to Bell, as everything they made seemed to fit me perfectly.

I love the new Sweep, but if I have to be completely honest, I have to admit it doesn't fit my head as well as my previous Bell (not sure of model name). It doesn't seem to be as "deep", so it doesn't come far enough down the front or the back of my head - it just feels like it's sitting slightly too high.

It's not severe enough that I don't still have time to appreciate how comfortable and well-ventilated it is, but it's always hard to forgive something expensive that doesn't fit as well as its older, poorer and uglier cousin. (Might explain my taste in women... :rolleyes: ) However, Lord Nikon just bought one after having similar trouble with other helmets his whole life and reckons it fits him like a glove (the helmet, not my woman;) ).

I love Specialized bikes and their gear and when it's my annual "let's buy a new helmet for no good reason" moment, I'll be heading in that direction. In the meantime, though, I'm 90% happy that I'm wearing a really good helmet with the Sweep.

ash_on_mtb

Likes Dirt
I'm a staunch Bell man, as they seem to be the only helmet I've tried that fit the shape of my skull, so I'm sticking to them. I have 2 of the SweepR's as I don't buy into the visor thing, and they are excellent helmets. They are light, the ventilation is so good I can feel the cool air running over my lightly hair'd skull which is awesome in summer and quite cold in winter ( I need some more hair, yeah yeah) and so this isn't completely one sided, I'm not that much of a fan of the brow pad. They end up disintegrating after a lot of sweating, but I've procured a few more from the distributors, so they have stock and they can be purchased.

These are the best helmets I've ever owned, so I'm very happy with them. And having 2 is the biggest cycling luxury, if you can, do it! Putting on a cold wet helmet at 3am during a 24hour is challenge enough!

setonz

Likes Dirt
Karma is a BITCH! after keeping an eye on this thread and replying a couple of times Karma got up and bit me square in the Arse. Got decked at the Sandown crits last night and went for a nice slide/roll on my upper back and helmet.
So now i will need to reiterate my point and will be buying a new Bell Sweep r to replace my one after last nights crash.

Helmet held up very well ...estimate i hit the deck at 45-50 km/h. obviously neck pain today and a fair amount of bark off. But i will live...helmet did its job.

Benji45roadie

Cannon Fodder
just get a Giro atmos . . even thou they are expensive they are still the most comfiest coolest (in both ways) and light helmets around !

peanut

Likes Dirt
Not quite so bro..... both the Giro Atmos and the Bell Sweep had to have thier straps modified or where they meet the helmet changed (i cant quite remember) before they met aus standards. Hence why it took so long before they were available for sale here. no coincidence they both come from the same factory.
sorry to grave dig, but was curious.
Would this now mean an '07' OS purchased helmet is exactly the same as the one in AUS in the above models.
In order to meet Aus standards theoretically the production would have changed to allow for this?, i can't imagine they would make a AUS version and an OS version?.
Considering Aus is probably less than 1% of the market wouldn't they have changed them to make 1 version which meets all standards?

craign

Likes Dirt
A follow up on my Sweep XC:
The pads don't last long at all. I replaced them with a set from an old Giro helmet I had until I cna get new ones. The importers, Pacific Brands, don't seem to care enough to bring spare sets in. So it looks like I'll have to get some from overseas.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I had been running a Giro Xen and a Giro E2 and thought that they were great until I got myself a Specialized Decibel.
I now realise that the 2 Giro helmets do not fit anywhere near as well as the Specialized.
It will be Specialized for me in the future.

bazza

look at me
well i was using a 90 buck met helmet before i finally decided to ditch it and get a new helmet. i went for the giro monza, because the atmos was out of my price range and the bell's did not fit my head. i need a deep helmet for my shape of head and the bells just did not sit on it. i am extremelly happy with the monza but the only qualm i have with it is the pointy section at the front is a bit too bulky for my liking. at least i can pierce the air with it now i guess............ :)

try the helmets on and see which one you prefer the most. they are all each as good as eachother as stated earlier its just the fit that counts really.

STS01

Likes Dirt
I'm on my 2nd MET Veleno (smashed the first one crashing). They're an awesome helmet and currently on sale at BikePro in Melb for less than CRC etc.