Bent cassette

John U

MTB Precision
I’ve bent a cassette in the past. Once I’d worked out what I was looking for it became easy to see. One of the cogs did not have a uniform distance to the cog above it all the way around. This cog was bent. I couldn’t tune the gears properly. Derailer hanger was straight. Once I changed the cassette out it was tuned up quite quickly.

Just wondering if others have had this issue. I think I’ve done it again on the roadie.

John U

MTB Precision
I reckon i must’ve been changing gears while giving it a bit and the chain has skipped across a cog creating a small point of load on one of the cogs. The end result of that is a single bent cog.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
I've recently managed to snap most of the rivets off one of the 10spd XT cogs in the recent past...same as you, until you realise the root cause tuning gears just wasn't making any sense!

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I've managed to fracture three out of the four arms on the largest spider on a XT 10 speed cassette. I put it down to fatigue, I rotate my chains which cuts down on wear on the teeth.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

I wanged one of the teeth on my eagle cassette on the 50t. Was only 30kms old !

I'm not very good at tuning gears or anything mechanical, took a bit of working out why the chain wouldn't stay on the 50t.

Was able to bend the offending tooth back in line, very gently.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
Bent two SRAM 11 speed cassettes and snapped a tooth off the third one I'm on now . Never had this issue on the 8, 9, 10 speed shimano drive trains I've had before.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've recently managed to snap most of the rivets off one of the 10spd XT cogs in the recent past...same as you, until you realise the root cause tuning gears just wasn't making any sense!
Did the same myself. Just before a race too, and I was fortunately able to change it in time.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Bent two SRAM 11 speed cassettes and snapped a tooth off the third one I'm on now . Never had this issue on the 8, 9, 10 speed shimano drive trains I've had before.
That's because the latest generation of mega-range 11- & 12-sp. cassettes are using an aluminium large sprocket, where 10-sp. & below were all steel (except XTR which had titanium for the biggest five, and still does for 2nd-6th after the aluminium one), so less prone to getting bent or broken.

Had an XT cassette through the workshop a few months ago with a tooth broken off at each shift point around the big sprocket, same tooth in every set of shift teeth.

Last edited:

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
That's because the latest generation of mega-range 11- & 12-sp. cassettes are using an aluminium large sprocket, where 10-sp. & below were all steel (except XTR which had titanium for the biggest five, and still does for 2nd-6th after the aluminium one), so less prone to getting bent or broken.
I actually didn't bend or break the 42t...but I have seen it happen. The ones I've done were cogs 2 to 5.

Yep, no eagle for me thanks.

John U

MTB Precision
I replaced the cassette on my 11 speed roadie and everything is shifting as expected now. The bend in the effected cog was quite hard to see but was enough to make the cog below it sound like it was out of tune. It is impossible to tune this issue out with an 11 speed cassette. Only solution in this case was a new cassette.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In like 20 years I'd never done it, but then a bit over a year ago, I was having issues with a cassette, skipping and jumping about. Took an age to sort out then I realised I'd bent a cog, couldn't figure out how. Swapped it for another exact same one...with a few weeks, same issue. More investigating turned out I'd bent the hanger, gave that a tweek (always fun on your $$$$$ Ti frame), put on a new cassette, no issues since (well apart from the new cassette is 12-28)... never bent a hanger before either...