Bent Handlebars

Matt L

Likes Bikes
lol....i bought a new set of kona handlebars off my friend and ive been riding with em on for about 2 weeks now...and it seems like theyre bending lol....when you look at it straight it seems like the right side is about 2 inches lower than the left...and it feels real weird when i ride it lol...ill just use my other set..no biggy...anyone know if theyre supposed to bend that easy?

and1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
My old azonics took a mad hit into the ground at Dargle and managed to bend the right side quite bad. Have they taken any hits?

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
Squidly Didly said:
Not trying to be a smart ass, but how do you know just how 'easy' they've been riden previously... by word?
Matt L said:
i bought a new set of kona handlebars off my friend
he said they were new though?

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
Matt L said:
lol....i bought a new set of Kona handlebars off my friend and ive been riding with em on for about 2 weeks now...and it seems like theyre bending lol....when you look at it straight it seems like the right side is about 2 inches lower than the left...and it feels real weird when i ride it lol...ill just use my other set..no biggy...anyone know if theyre supposed to bend that easy?
aahhhhhh....... I see the problem.

Its in his first sentance, 8th word across starting with "K" for Krap.

Get rid of them before they snap and buy a decent set of handle bars from answer, easton or azonic.

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
get some answer or easton bars. these things stop you from eating your stem. For safety's sake get something decent. And aluminium bars should be replaced after a couple of years of regular use, they fatigue and weaken.

shift

Likes Dirt
eeek!

i cant think of a crash much worse than having your stem smack you in the chest and crack a couple of ribs

G

lol...thats not cool....thought you said you dont think about that stuff??
oh well the bars on my stinky are still tracking ok. meh still...get some new ones.

diddy

Likes Dirt
Yeah, alloy doesnt usually bend, unless kona have short changed you, and labeled steel bars alloy.

Matt L

Likes Bikes
i dont really take drops on my bike anymore since i switched frames to a hardtail.....i dont put much pressure on my handlebars but anyway im thinking about getting some azonics

Tomas

my mum says im cool
I would just like to point out, that taking a hit to your sternum/ribs with the stem can prove fatal. Guy at whistler overshot an 8ft'er, stem to the sternum. Dead.

Not plesent.

Superman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
on one of the drop in episodes mike kinrades bars snap on a dirtjump and his neck and stem collided. he is extremely lucky to only suffer a bruise and sore neck.

floody

Wheel size expert
Malfuctioning Eddie said:
I have seen a few sets of azonics snap
I have seen a few sets of answer and eastons snap

Seriously, everything breaks, but give yourself a sporting chance by buying something from one of those good, reputable brands ^.

Handlebars take a big beating, they break eventually. And they most definitely do bend, its just that normally you don't notice or the impact when they break is enough to both brend and break them. Bent bars are a warning sign to replace them you should be grateful for - lucky to get a warning!
In my experience, Azonic Doublewalls or Pyramids have proven to be pretty good. In fact, as Answer's original alumilites (which had 4mm walls from one end to the other) bit the dust a few years back when they brought in those lightweight protapers, I'd say they are odds on the toughest out there.

projectsplat

The film guy
As strange as this sounds, this is actually a recommendation for a set of Bars. I picked up a set of the FUNN bar and stem combos just a few weeks before this happened. I then managed to lose the bike off a ski lift at mt buller (pauses for the fits of laughter).

The bike fell about 30 odd metres onto the handlebars. Bent the bars, but did not snap. the rest of the bike was fine.

I would prefer a set of bars to bend rather than snap any day, and with the force applied to this particular set of bars, I think that if you were still on the bike when that happened, the bars bending would be the least of your worries. (I think that makes sense)

Simplify - under extreme pressure, bars bending = good, bars snapping = bad.

Cheers

Al

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bendy bars

funn are good quality bars though, that might explain why they didn't snap. also, does'nt snapping and bending depend on the strain (type) of the aluminium used e.g. 6061, 7002 etc