Best 9 speed DH shifter/RD combo

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Any thoughts on the simplest and most efficient DH 9 speed shifter/RD combo?
Have bought an old sled that has shagged x5/x7 combo and looking for an upgrade without shredding mega $ considering how easy it destroy?
Cheers.

To be honest, for the bucks, there's some silly cheap money to be spent on X9 short cage stuff out there in 9spd.

The X9 derailleur & shifter match gives rock solid & smooth fast shifting for what they cost. Still reckon they're on par for performance & have a better lever action than XT combos, & I'm a Shimano guy.

Last edited:

will2

Likes Dirt
I would go X0 9sp. SO crisp. But Zee derailer and X0 9sp shifter is also very good, and get the benefit of a clutch. Read the 9sp clutched thread.

Wednesday

Likes Dirt
Thanks all for the input, so many choices. I'll lean towards x9 combo and/or see if I can pick up something thru the for sale forum here.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
For a long time I've run a x0 shifter and a x9 mech. The shifter is super crisp and reliable and in a relatively safe location. The mech is kind of exposed and easily damaged...I've never been rich enough to consider an x0 mech disposable.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
For a long time I've run a x0 shifter and a x9 mech. The shifter is super crisp and reliable and in a relatively safe location. The mech is kind of exposed and easily damaged...I've never been rich enough to consider an x0 mech disposable.
It's because you blow all your cash on canned coffee at $20 a pop and gourmet lunches in strange places....

moorey

call me Mia
Ran x9 and x0 9sp for a while. The value is in the shifter. I couldn't tell between 9/0 derailleurs, but the x0 shifters feel fantastic. X9 is very good though. I'm a shimano fanboi, but their shift feel is only just catching up with the 8000/9000 series. Their mechs have bee light years ahead since shadow came in, though. Stronger, more durable, and tucked out of the way.

udi

swiss cheese
I would go X0 9sp. SO crisp.
This!
There is literally NOTHING better.

I've done a loop around the world with every shifting setup under the sun over the last few years (including the later XTR and XX1) and nothing quite matches the original 9spd XO. This includes the 10spd XO and 11spd XO1, both of which are a step backwards (along with the XX1) in both shift quality and adjustment longevity.

I don't think there's a need for the clutches if you have everything setup correctly (both my DH bike and trailbike are dead silent, never drop chains, and neither have clutches). They interfere with and add stiction to suspension action. I do run full chain guides on both however, if you don't do that then you probably need the clutch - but the stiction addition to suspension action is unavoidable since that's how they work - by adding friction to the extension direction of the cage, which happens (incidentally) under every suspension compression also. If you must do that then pairing the XO 9spd shifter with a Zee and cable mount spacer is the go, as suggested above.

moorey

call me Mia
I don't think there's a need for the clutches if you have everything setup correctly (both my DH bike and trailbike are dead silent, never drop chains, and neither have clutches). They interfere with and add stiction to suspension action. I do run full chain guides on both however, if you don't do that then you probably need the clutch - but the stiction addition to suspension action is unavoidable since that's how they work - by adding friction to the extension direction of the cage, which happens (incidentally) under every suspension compression also.
Also, a pea under 15 mattresses feels aweful, princess :drama:
Ive heard this touted, and I call BS. If done in a blind test, I'll eat a bag of dicks if people can tell when riding. :hand:

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Not sure if it's just me but my Zee mechs seem to gradually bend over time, I have never bent a rear mech but these Zee ones just don't seem to last.

Is there any chance that a smart person could design up new shifting plates for the old X0 shifter so it works with different combos? I ran an 8 speed Attack plate in an X9 shifter and it worked fine so changing shift points shouldn't cause any issues I'd think.

moorey

call me Mia
Just you. I've got zee on 3 bikes. All been on there for years. No issues. Are you running ridiculous tension?

scblack

Leucocholic
Yep, absolutely agreed, I used to have the X0 shifter, X9 mech for years. These days I am running 10spd X0 for both, but if cost is an issue, the X9 mech is great.

The best shifting I ever felt was 9spd X0 shifter and mech. Faultless.

moorey

call me Mia
Glad it's not just me. Very underwhelmed by the feel of 10sp SRAM on the demo bike I loaned, compared to 9sp.
The XO 9sp shifter paired with the zee or xt clutched mech is ALMOST as crisp, albeit slightly heavier due to the clutch.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Glad it's not just me. Very underwhelmed by the feel of 10sp SRAM on the demo bike I loaned, compared to 9sp.
The XO 9sp shifter paired with the zee or xt clutched mech is ALMOST as crisp, albeit slightly heavier due to the clutch.
Yep, 10spd X0 is not a patch on the 9spd X0,X9 shift quality.
I've been on x0-x9 10 speed (entirely brand new drive except front ring) for a few weeks now and have found it pretty sweet. Was on x0-x9 9 speed for millions of years before and can't say I find there to be a crispness difference. But I do find that I'm barrel adjusting the shifter a little more often than the 9 speed days.

udi

swiss cheese
Also, a pea under 15 mattresses feels aweful, princess :drama:
Ive heard this touted, and I call BS. If done in a blind test, I'll eat a bag of dicks if people can tell when riding. :hand:
Haha, I'll spot it for ya easy. I've got a month on you here old man, I win by default!

It's less of an issue on Shimano since you can adjust the clutch for the resistance you need, which is much lower than stock if not used for chain retention. It's quite obvious on SRAM (or Shimano if you leave it at the factory setting), particularly when they wear out a bit. They use a one-way bearing somewhat outside its intended use (as the clutch) so they get stickier over time as the rollers wear into the race. I'm pretty pedantic though.

PS. It's much more obvious if your bike doesn't have a bucket of stiction in the first place - i.e. coil shock.

spoozbucket

Likes Dirt
Just you. I've got zee on 3 bikes. All been on there for years. No issues. Are you running ridiculous tension?
Maybe too much, I just adjusted it so it felt like it did when I got it but I guess that's could be a fair way off. Not sure if a hardtail would be a bit harder on the clutch but if I do a bit of riding it goes for about three months between adjustments.

You can retrofit the clutch/lower cage assembly to some of the Shimano 9Spd mechs, I know Zee to old Saint won't work as the Zee body is wider.