Best All Conditions Downhill Tires

fleshbone

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Alot of opinions.Majority of seem to run a combination of minion front and rear or minions with high roller front or rear,mix and match,see what suits you.There those dudes out there that obviously run other kinds of rubber,Kends are suprisingly decent tires it's just from what people have experienced with why they get a bad rep.You then have some what exotic tires like the michilen which are expensive but wicked ass rubber to use,especially on the front.Don't forget those wacky tires like big bettys and what ever else is on the market.

As i said though,majority of run diffrent combinations of minion,front and rear with maybe a bit of high roller thrown in for good measure.

Me personally,i'm running 3c 2.7 front and 3c 2.5 minion rear.They have always done me well and i'll continue to use them. They're cheap,yes they're heavy but meh,so long as i'm stuck to the ground when i want to be,thats what counts.

As for my ht i like to mix it up some,i run a michilen 20a(i think,like one or two stickies less then the best) and a holy roller rear.But thats my ht for ht business(no-longer hardcore ht seing as i got me a dh bike now).

MattyBoi

Banned
i would have to say that the highrollers are the best DH tyre out there. also, a tyre no one has mentioned, the Syncros Big Hucking Tyre (BHT) they are sooooo beautiful to ride, allways grip around even the tightest of corners.

My Two Cents

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry, dumb question...There are 2 types of Minions are there? 3C is obviously the better (and more expensive) Minion. is it worth the extra $?

DeeMax

Likes Dirt
I ran Minion 3C's before switching to Michelin DH tyres, I must say, they're pretty closely matched! I love my Michelin's though, great tyres.

Sorry, dumb question...There are 2 types of Minions are there? 3C is obviously the better (and more expensive) Minion. is it worth the extra $?
i think they are as ive herd that they last about 3 times longer therefore equal the same cost over time and they definately feel like a better tire as the rubber varies throughout the tyre, i i noticed a difference going from slow rezy to 3c.

cheers

bangers88

Squid
Does Michelin's worth the money???
You can get like a pair of highholler for the price I think?!
Yeah Michelin's are about $100 per tyre, but they last for a long time i have had my 2.8 michelins on the front for ages and still have half the tread left.
GREAT TYRE

lanky kona rider

Likes Bikes
Tyres

bah, ur all wrong. Every hardcore hardtailer knows a maxxis Larson on the front and a maxxis hookworm on the back is where its at. :p
yes, i actually run those tyres on downhill tracks. only because im to povo to afford 4 sets of tyres though.

good times are bound to be had with tyres like these :D

willipa

Likes Dirt
bah, ur all wrong. Every hardcore hardtailer knows a maxxis Larson on the front and a maxxis hookworm on the back is where its at. :p
yes, i actually run those tyres on downhill tracks. only because im to povo to afford 4 sets of tyres though.

good times are bound to be had with tyres like these :D
well, i'm about to go downhilling and swapping my hookworm for a minion dhf, that is as i have had enough spinning around in the mud at my dirt jumps, let alone a downhill track :)

Hardtail89

Likes Bikes
Best all conditions DH tyre is High Roller 2.5 Front and rear!! But in the mud any dry tyre is going to slip and slide. I would get mud tyres for mud terrain which you'll only use once a year really, and high rollers for the dry. I usially use 2 ply on my stp but on the maxxis website the weight of the 3C is the same as the 2 ply. Has anyone done this switch??