Best All Mountain Saddle

Beej1

Some shops offer test saddles. I would make use of these. Once you have found one that you like, you have some options:
  • buy that exact saddle from the shop you tried it from (apparently the 'feel-good' option)
  • buy that exact saddle from CRC/Wiggle/Evans/Jenson/eBay etc for much less (apparently the 'you're going straight to hell' option)
  • find a saddle with the exact same length & width, and which looks roughly the same shape, but heaps better cos 'it has stripes & matching colours to my frame yo', from CRC/Wiggle/Evans/Jenson/eBay etc for much less (this option has worked for me precisely 1 out of 2 times)

wombat

Lives in a hole
Some shops offer test saddles. I would make use of these. Once you have found one that you like, you have some options:
  • buy that exact saddle from the shop you tried it from (apparently the 'feel-good' option)
  • buy that exact saddle from CRC/Wiggle/Evans/Jenson/eBay etc for much less (apparently the 'you're going straight to hell' option)
I have no problem with online shopping, but I have to say that using a service like that from one shop specifically so you can test before you buy somewhere else is a major dick move. I don't think it's really about 'feeling good' as much as it is about not being an arse.

As for saddles, I've seen a lot of love for the Gobi, but I hated mine; it lasted two rides before I pulled it off. Replaced it with a cheapy I had kicking around that was just a better shape for me it seems.

I agree with the guys recommending the Fizik Gobi, I've used them for years and they are very comfy, light and don’t get in the way as they are a good size.

minhbo

Likes Bikes
I owned a gobi, fizik kurve chameleon and a selle Italia slr max flow. I've tried a specialized romin, phenom and toupe.

The gobi and kurve were similar - ok for shorter rides but not so much for rides longer than 3-4 hours. The toupe was slightly better than these two, but still got uncomfortable after 3-4 hours.

The romin, phenom and selle Italia were uncomfortable right off the bat so were obviously not a good fit for me.

If you've tried many of the above and haven't liked them, then try a wtb rocket v. I find it very comfortable compared to the others I've tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

digitalhippie

Likes Dirt
I reckon at the very least get your sit bones measured (free usually) and test out saddles designed to suit that width. At least that way saddle choice isn't a complete lottery.

For me, the Spesh Phenom (143mm width to suit my sit bones) has been incredible.. On my second one in three years. Zero discomfort of any sort, regardless of length of ride. Only negative is that it can be prone to creaking as it wears around the rails.

I really like the shape of the Spesh Henge, but haven't got around to testing one out.

minhbo

Likes Bikes
The sit bone measuring thing didn't work for me. I went into the specialized store and had it done there. Based on the measurement I was recommended the 168 romin and the 155 toupe. They weren't a good fit for me, but after that I kept trying other wide saddles and none of them were comfortable.

The wtb rocket v is very narrow in comparison at only 127 wide, yet it seems to fit me perfectly in spite of my wide fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I love my WTB Rocket V, it's just the right balance between comfort and weight.
I've got a Spec Phenom on my XC bike and although it's nice, if I had the choice again I'd go for the Rocket V and keep the $100 difference in price in my pocket!
The Spec seat testing program is worth it though, nothing like an uncomfortable saddle to ruin a good days ride.

needaride

Likes Dirt
Charge knife / spoon..

Agree with comments about suiting your size/shape though - I bought a WTB Silverado and was keen to get my hands on it.. put it on the bike and sat on it in the garage to my immediate discomfort.. Gotta find what works for you!

Last edited: