Best all rounder front tyre

freeriding

Likes Dirt
Hallo!

I have tested many tires and i am a fan of all rounders, the 'install and forget' type!

and when i say all rounder, i mean every situation except for deep mud.

My style is hard mtb riding, enduro and very light dh. (26 wheels)

My best front tire (the last 5 years) that i have experienced is hans dampf (trail star). i have it for about a year, and really is a jack of all trades.
Only disadvantage is that it has a mid to high rolling resistance, especially noticeable in climbs.

Do you have any suggestions on a similar tyre but with less rolling resistance?

My thought is to try the trail king (rubber queen) 2.4 apex
+protection. The black chili compound is awesome, have read that they grip and roll amazingly well. They are 200g heavier, but you also get almost a 27.5 result hehehe.

What do you think?

Hans dampf or trail king? (or something else?)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I didn't mind the Hans as an all round tyre, But I think I preferred the HR2, much more positive in the corners and the rolling resistance was a little better.

Currently using Magic Mary, awesome tyre, worth the extra rolling resistance.

stirk

Burner
what do people think/rate the Ignitor as a front tyre?

Hans gets my vote... wont change to anything else!
I've been using an Ignitor on the front for a year and it's been great. It's particularly good in loose rubble and deep sand with it's sharp corners really cuts in with good grip and control.

Not sure why you are asking the question if you won't change to anything else but Hans, unless of course the Ignitor is lighter!!

ChopSticks

Banned
I've been using an Ignitor on the front for a year and it's been great. It's particularly good in loose rubble and deep sand with it's sharp corners really cuts in with good grip and control.

Not sure why you are asking the question if you won't change to anything else but Hans, unless of course the Ignitor is lighter!!

well I was running an Ignitor on my first MTB 3 years~ ago... when I didn't have the skills/knowledge I do now.... it simply felt 'good'
I'm now riding harder, with a bike that fits me and is dialled... hence I really dont know how the ignitor rates.

stirk

Burner
well I was running an Ignitor on my first MTB 3 years~ ago... when I didn't have the skills/knowledge I do now.... it simply felt 'good'
I'm now riding harder, with a bike that fits me and is dialled... hence I really dont know how the ignitor rates.
I bought my first MTB a year ago and the OEM tyres were crap and better suited to the road. I swapped out the OEM rubbish for an Ignitor front and Ikon rear and love the combo. As always, low pressure for your weight makes the differences between great tyre and crap tyre. Ignitor does 'feel' good on the front.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
if i would think to go for high roller ii and dhf (have ridden them both), then i would choose the magic mary...better grip and same rolling resistance compared to maxxis.

i want lower rolling resistance than hans dampf. Is anyone that has tested both the trail king and hans dampf?

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
Interesting thread. Been running Hans for a year or so and love it on the front. Have ordered a HR2 though so keen to see how it compares.

Liberty555

Likes Bikes
I've tried lots...

For a set and forget setup, I reckon the LUST version of the Maxxis Ardent up front and a LUST Crossmark rear. Works on everything, tough as nails, pumps up full UST and seals easily.

Rolls well, quiet, lasts and lasts.

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
I'm a Schwalbe guy, so I'm gonna say Magic Mary or Hans Dampf.

Hans if you want faster rolling but less leant over corner stability on loose over hard, or loose in general.

Mary if you favour grip over rolling.

freeriding

Likes Dirt
for those that are suggesting the minion or hr2, come on guys...have you ever ridden hans dampf? those 2 maxxis tyres have much more rolling resistance... if going that way, then it'd be easily a magic mary!!! much better than any maxxis tyre.

trail king here i come, thank you!

Last edited:

paulb

Likes Dirt
My 2.4 rubber queens aren't protections (though they are black chili) but I wouldn't choose them if I thought an HD trailstar too slow. They're fast compared to something like a minion, massively faster compared to super tacky but Trailstar's not bad either

My experience is the Conti grips better but the Hans Dampf is faster. A 2.2 might be faster but the HD would probably grip better

wavike

Likes Dirt
I'm running XR2 rear and XR3 front after manny years on Maxxis and specialized 26 tires. No reason for me to look elsewhere for trail riding atm. I'd try the XR4 if going to an AM bike.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I quite like the Michelin stuff, currently enjoying Race'R on the Anthem. Cheap, haven't managed to break them (Racing Ralphs seem to last 5 minutes before the sidewall go all wobbly...).

I wish they still made the Conti Explorer in a folding though... That was an awesome tyre. Or maybe I'm just old and nostalgic!

freeriding

Likes Dirt
20km of trail king 2.4 bliss todays. mixed conditions from loamy to dry, hardpack to loose.

trail kings grip confidently in just about everything.

rolling resistance, despite their 150g to hans dampf, is lower, they roll well even in tarmac.

i'll ride them more but i think they are here to stay!!!

i guess it's pretty obvious why continental keeps them in their exact form since 2007 (?)

:Banane33: