Best Brakes in Humid Conditons.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
do you have centre lock hubs?

avids dont run centre lock rotors, unless youre changing hubs you wont be able to use centre lock rotors.
True.
Whats performance like when you run avid rotors on something like the XT?

Chieftain

Likes Bikes
I think you may be thinking about your brake selection a bit too hard mate. How much is humidity going to affect your brakes really, car brakes are far more complicated and probably more prone to humidity lessening the performance but they dont use different brakes on cars in different countries (i.e. vw golf in england and vw golf here). Also isn't the only way oil can perform worse is if air gets in the line? I can't see humidity causing that, more likely damp pads or even rotor moving slightly? If I was picky enough to let humidity affect my choice I'd lean more towards pad/rotor than oil when making my choice
I think the thread starter has a very valid point when considering which brakes work best in what conditions.

I have Juicy 7s and Codes on different bikes and in high humidity/high temperature days, the Code levers start to jam up and piss oil under the reservoir caps. The Juicys, well, they're not too far off, levers not affected, but they weep out the holes in the cap. As well as being a pain in the arse to keep on remedying it before a ride on such a day, it also drips and leaves ugly patches on frames/forks/parts.

I've used Hayes HFXs and El Caminos before this and never had this problem. While i have no complaints about how they perform, I think the Avids just weren't made for such conditions. I think i've had enough of spending 10 mins before a ride letting out oil and wiping away spilt Dot liquid. Gonna give the new Saints a go as soon as i get me hands on 'em.

Haro Xeon

Likes Bikes
Brake fluid is hydroscopic which means that it absorbs moisture thats in the air. It boils between 200 and 300 degrees C. When it absorbs moisture the boiling point decreases.

Once it boils you have air in the system and a spongy feel at the lever. The reason why you dont notice this in a car is because most drivers use their brakes hard enough for this to happen.

On a mtb you use brakes a lot harder and in humid conditions this happens.

Shimano brakes use oil rather than brake fluid so this doesnt happen, making them more suitable in humid conditions.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Tupper,
I run the xtr metallic pads on 07 xt brakes,160 rotor on the back with 180 on the front,what a difference metallics with 180 rotor's make,the change in performance is stunning,never ever fades,and the control over the modulation is fantastic,they have a great feel once bedded in!

lebronmtb

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think the thread starter has a very valid point when considering which brakes work best in what conditions.

I have Juicy 7s and Codes on different bikes and in high humidity/high temperature days, the Code levers start to jam up and piss oil under the reservoir caps. The Juicys, well, they're not too far off, levers not affected, but they weep out the holes in the cap. As well as being a pain in the arse to keep on remedying it before a ride on such a day, it also drips and leaves ugly patches on frames/forks/parts.

I've used Hayes HFXs and El Caminos before this and never had this problem. While i have no complaints about how they perform, I think the Avids just weren't made for such conditions. I think i've had enough of spending 10 mins before a ride letting out oil and wiping away spilt Dot liquid. Gonna give the new Saints a go as soon as i get me hands on 'em.
Juicy's are notoriuous for leaking fluid, it doesnt matter what conditions your in, I assume codes and all other avid hydros have the same problem.

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tupper,
I run the xtr metallic pads on 07 xt brakes,160 rotor on the back with 180 on the front,what a difference metallics with 180 rotor's make,the change in performance is stunning,never ever fades,and the control over the modulation is fantastic,they have a great feel once bedded in!
Thats what I plan to do, thanks.

You probably run the center lock rotors?
If not, what rotors do you run?

Gripo

Eats Squid
what's up

What exactly is the problem with your brakes that you perceive is due to humid conditions.....

tupper

Likes Bikes and Dirt
What exactly is the problem with your brakes that you perceive is due to humid conditions.....
Read the whole first page..

constant bleeding problems, pads keep touching the rotor, pretty much all signs of a poor quality brake system, however the stopping power is still the same.

maybe the high temperatures of the climate + high humidity content doesn't go well.

xlr8

Squid
humidity wrecks my brake setup

Gentlemen,
I ahve a set of avid codes and juicy 5' on dh bike and jump bike respectively and i reckon i can give you a humidity reading based on the feel of the brakes. Seriously, on a humid day the codes pump up to the point that i need to readjust the pad dial to amke them feel normal again.

A perfect example of the changable feeling given by the humidy is the fact after a drive to the top of a local track (kuranda) the brake lever feel changes noticably with the lever coming closer to the grip, at the bottom of the hill (no fade or heat issues as this occirs whether riding or not) the engagement position of the lever becomes further out fromt he grip.
I have asked the lbs and he says its extremely common up here especially with good old avid.

I dont find i lose any power or anything fromt he humidity it just fucks with the position on the lever stroke that the brakes engage.

this is fine with the adjusters on the codes however the juicy 5's are a different problem all together. I find at times the only way to ride the 5's is if a leak some fluid out.......... not a good thing i know.

Is this avoidable with avids I dont know..

would it stop me from running the codes or 5's....
no it wouldnt.

just my 50 bucks worth

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if you have the patience and the money to buy litres of dot 4 oil, thne you might be able to use them, the weeping has stopped now, but its been sunny for the past 3 weeks.

for me i dont really have a solution, it's either that or fork out something else and end up with a almost perfect set of good brakes.

BM Epic

Eats Squid
Thats what I plan to do, thanks.

You probably run the center lock rotors?
If not, what rotors do you run?
Yep,
I run the centre locks,they are great,i used to have 6 bolt on other wheels,i cant say i miss them!
Good Luck!

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
youll be eating those words as soon as your centrelock hubs stuff up

my sunday came with centrelocks, and they are shit, once the rotors have a warp it wont come out, then when my rear hub shat itself and i didnt want to buy dt swiss or shimano i had to get a new rotor too, now ive jsut ditched the whole set up, wheels and brakes in all, 6 bolt is so much easier and better