Best complete dirt jumpers??

Just looking for some advice on what are the best dirt jumper bikes out there?

Value for money etc

Thanks guys any advice would be great.

if you want good value, look for second hand bikes. its a buyers market so youre bound to find some good deals. check the buysell section, i remember seeing some bargains in there not too long ago.

only issue i see with the polygon is the 20mm rear axle. its unnecessary and it could get a bit tricky when it comes to upgrading your bike. id like to see a long term review of one and see how the frames last and handle too, at that price im a bit skeptical as to the quality of the frame.

Last edited:

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
oh gumtree...
Idiot sellers that don't know what they're trying to sell give Gumtree a bad name.

I saw the new 250 in QV today at lunch.
Looks very good. Nice and shiney!
This guys chain was soo loose. I wanted to say something to him, but I felt the advice would be wasted on him. He didn't look like a serious rider at all (overweight, xc helmet...)

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Love it how every Norco is also a downhill/freeride bike..

If anything you'd be wiser to build one up;
Brand new wheel set will cost $500-$600 online.
Frame will cost $500 or less brand new.
Go second hand forks. You can pick up decent enough ones for under $200.
Cranks can go for under $200.
Chain and sprocket for less than $100 easy!
Headset and bottom bracket for $40.
Pedals can go for like $20.
Bars and stem for less than $100.
Brakes for less than $100.
Tubes and tyres under $100.

You can easily build a really good custom dirt jumper for under $2000. If you buy your forks brand new then not so much..
But the best complete will always be a custom. You can build it to suit your riding! :)

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He'll spend well over $2k building a custom rig.
Most prices for the items on your list are too low, unless you are working on crc pricing.
Ie. Headset and bb, more like $40 each.
Decent pedals, $80+
Tyres and tubes, more like $150.
Bars and stem - $100++ (Most short length stems are well over $50, if not $100 or more.)
New frame off the shelf, more like $600+

So sure, you can make a custom for under $2k... that still needs upgrades.

Last edited:

RainbowofDETH

Likes Dirt
Why would you actually buy bike parts from anywhere but CRC... or for that matter online. So much cheaper and you get more money. Fuck the 'supporting your LBS' crap. Do they support me when I have to do extra hours at work just to buy stuff from them?! But anyway, rant over..

It's easy to build a custom dj'er for under $2000. Mine is pretty much proof of that.
I just roughly added up the expenses of everything and it's about $1800 for mine. :p

Most prices for the items on your list are too low, unless you are working on crc pricing.
Decent pedals, $80+
Bars and stem - $100++ (Most short length stems are well over $50, if not $100 or more.)

but do you really need them?

you need to know where to spend money and where you can go a bit cheaper. stems, front hubs, seats, posts etc you can cheap out on, even tyres and grips and brakes, if you even need them at all.

also speccing bmx style components is usually cheaper. 22.2mm stems, bmx hubs, bmx cranks, are usually cheaper than mtb equivalents, for the same quality. theres a much bigger market fox bmx than for dj/street hardtails so the parts are more common, and the prices are lower. tyres and tubes? try $100 instead of 150. maxxis dth and standard run of the mill tubes. pedals? $50 and get some odyssey trailmixes, or even spend half that for a fly ruben graphite, which is a fibreglass blend pedal, hich is extremely strong for a composite material and i bent the axle on mine before the pins even wore out, 18 months after i bought them for $20. this is all at rrp by the way, so you can go down to your local shop and order this stuff at the same price, if its a bmx shop they should have some trialmixes or rubens in stock, very popular pedals.

you can get brand new Pride Street frames, in either bmx or mtb spacing, for about $300 posted direct from the manufacturer, and they are post weld heat treated 4130 with multiple butted tubes. they do cheap bars too, and if you are manly enough to run a rigid, they make a fork, as well as sprockets, pedals, etc. if you arent going to support local businesses, at least support people who care about dj and street and arent just in it to make some money. NS also make good parts like the district/proof bars and their rims are pretty good too.

going back to the local shop thing, before i worked in a shop i got 90% of my bmx stuff through one shop. i got to see the parts close up before i bought them, got answers about compatibility straight away, and once you factor in shipping, it was cheaper to just buy it from the shop. and i walk out with the part in my hands so i could go ride that afternoon. not too long ago i saw someone bought a frame online, and half the frame wasnt even welded. as in there was nothing holding the tubes together on the drive side of the frame. in that situation you have to spend $100+ sending it back to the dealer (which in most cases, is non refundable. postage to the UK is almost as much as i paid for my frame alone), screwing around with emails and warranties etc. at a local shop, thats taken care of for you. usually even before we sell you the frame, part etc.

Last edited:

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
going back to the local shop thing, before i worked in a shop i got 90% of my bmx stuff through one shop. i got to see the parts close up before i bought them, got answers about compatibility straight away, and once you factor in shipping, it was cheaper to just buy it from the shop. and i walk out with the part in my hands so i could go ride that afternoon. not too long ago i saw someone bought a frame online, and half the frame wasnt even welded. as in there was nothing holding the tubes together on the drive side of the frame. in that situation you have to spend $100+ sending it back to the dealer (which in most cases, is non refundable. postage to the UK is almost as much as i paid for my frame alone), screwing around with emails and warranties etc. at a local shop, thats taken care of for you. usually even before we sell you the frame, part etc.
Fucking lol. Please link anything to do with that up. I think this has gone abit off topic btw guys. All well and good spending 2000buks on a DJ bike, but really that sort of DJ bike doesn't fall into the value for money area. Value for money in my eyes is spending the least amount and get the best possible gear. Obviously their is a fine line between shit value for money and boutique value for money. Building a custom 2000buk DJ falls into the later. I think the Polygon is just right. Decent fork, wheels and frame. Which gives you a good platform the start on. Really that bike is excellent value. Compare it too Trailsguy's blatant sales pitch. You have to spend 1300buks to get similar spec to the Polygon. You can pick up an NS majesty online for 300buks. If you bought the polygon for parts and an NS frame on line you would still be better of than buying the complete NS. Then you could sell the polygon frame and maybe break even.

My 2 cents.

just because you asked for it, Hell on Wheels instagram feed, customer walked in with this frame he bought online:

a24ba2c69d5e11e29ad022000a1f9a79_7.jpg

personally i would rather buy an NS complete than a polygon, the geometry is neutral in terms of street or dirt geo, and it comes with salt parts which are pretty good value for money. but the polygons have nice parts, so you could really just buy the polygon, sell the frame, which doesnt really look to be that great, and put the polygon parts on a second hand majesty frame and have a kick ass build for like $1100-1300. you might need a new back wheel, but i just picked up a rear pro 2 hub for $50 second hand, get a budget rim, some spokes, put the spokes in the right holes, take it to your shop for a true, and you just got yourself a pretty dialled bike for under 1500

Last edited:

bmx

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Decent pedals, $80+

That didn't cost me $2000. All brand new.

they refused to say (and rightly so, as i think it would be). it is not uncommon for weld to be missing on hand made frames, the welder probably forgot to flip the jig when welding the tubes, and it somehow made it through QC, and to a customer.

Brodie_78Kt

Likes Dirt
20mm rear axle and tapered steerer makes most of the polygon parts non transferable to any other mainstream frames.

Polygon is also a cheap brand and basic spec of the bike is pretty poor. I wouldnt trust the frame for a second, esspecially when buying over the Net with no warranty.

Buy the NS cant go wrong, I honestly think the price is good value so i have no idea what you are on about, plus rhythm imports are easy to deal with.