Best Deal You Ever Got Online.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I got a brand new 2011 Trek Remedy 7 for 1800buks last year from my Local. It wasnt even during any end of year sales or anything....

SaabG

Likes Dirt
Stan's flow rims on hope pro 2 hubs delivered at the start of this year or $370 delivered.

The best money I ever spent biking wise was buying my zerode off this forum though. I paid twice as much for it than the ute I use to shuttle it but it is worth every cent and more.

MARKL

Eats Squid
My 'broken' Cube Sting frame for $54 off ebay. $100 for carbon repair and good as new!

My $300 Industry 9 ultralights also deserve an honourable mention.

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
Not sure why you have put "online" in the subject heading. You can get great deals anywhere that are worth raving about. Best deal i got was a slightly used SLR Saddle for $55 delivered, in the RB trading section (181gm, comfy and the perfect colour!).

Is the point of this thread a misguided attempt to show the LBS what stuff costs overseas and the service they can provide? It looks like an ad for CRC.
Oh sorry you've perceived this as "misguided" but I got a dude who has scored a set of wheels, I 9's for $300 , stan flows cheap as. This is good for us MTBers. Competition, driving down prices, local businesses improving their service and benifiting the customer, I read in another thread that prices have dropped 25% in the last couple of years here in Oz. The whole online thing is rather specific because not everyone lives in a major city where a competitive landscape for deals exist. Anyone is welcome to put in Oz websites where they get a good deal no probs. I've had dealings with T.B.S.M for eg. and they're bloody great, you can tell they're all about service and value and their delivery times are very prompt. I'm sure you'd have an online retailer you've used and had a good experience with.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
By misguided what i meant was:

I am not sure what the point is of showing everyone where you get your cheap bits from. It’s like giving a secret away, and once everyone knows the secret, someone will be there trying to exploit it (e.g. LBS all close down, CRC decide to jack up their prices to Australia), or take it away (Mavic realised people were importing the wheels, so they stopped shipping to Aust from CRC).

My online deals don't come from CRC or Wiggle anymore, the high Euro has made the continental websites ridiculously cheap (and they still ship Mavics!). By i am not going to start naming specific websites, because once everybody knows, it will disappear.....

I am very happy to allow people to buy from the LBS so it is there if and when i need it. If they don't know the secret, don't tell them....

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
Bike stores I don't think will ever close down, a lot of people...a lot, will always purchase their stuff from a bike shop, have their repairs done by a bike mechanic, seek advice and hangout at a bike shop. Aparrently the internet takes just 5% off the whole australian retail sector (according to the news). I suppose I'm lucky I can do all my stuff- repairs, intallations, bike builds etc on my own, sometimes need a second pair of hands though, I also keep up to date on most mtb websites/forums to see and hear from other riders what's good, what is over-rated, what's to be avoided. Where I live there's not many options to purchase at a reasonable price. I'm not evil or even anti LBS, I simply prefer, like a few here to buy online in the comfort of home, taking all the time I like to research and buy, I've bought both my Banshees right here in Oz off Darren Bowman from barspin Imports, man he's got a great attitude to cust. service and did a great deal for me on my scythe. No way I'd keep it a secret, but I certainly know what you're saying.....like an L.B.S buying off the net? or ringing a distributor to complain that the price online is too cheap, at least in Oz. we're supposed to be protected from that. If we actually are I don't know.

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Purchased toy for kids for Christmas. 12v plug pack failed after a couple of days, rang supplier who said they had no more stock, refunded money including postage immediately. Rummage through garage for plug pack... Free christmas presents.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Bike stores I don't think will ever close down, a lot of people...a lot, will always purchase their stuff from a bike shop, have their repairs done by a bike mechanic, seek advice and hangout at a bike shop. Aparrently the internet takes just 5% off the whole australian retail sector (according to the news). I suppose I'm lucky I can do all my stuff- repairs, intallations, bike builds etc on my own, sometimes need a second pair of hands though, I also keep up to date on most mtb websites/forums to see and hear from other riders what's good, what is over-rated, what's to be avoided. Where I live there's not many options to purchase at a reasonable price. I'm not evil or even anti LBS, I simply prefer, like a few here to buy online in the comfort of home, taking all the time I like to research and buy, I've bought both my Banshees right here in Oz off Darren Bowman from barspin Imports, man he's got a great attitude to cust. service and did a great deal for me on my scythe. No way I'd keep it a secret, but I certainly know what you're saying.....like an L.B.S buying off the net? or ringing a distributor to complain that the price online is too cheap, at least in Oz. we're supposed to be protected from that. If we actually are I don't know.
Barspin is no longer trading....what are we going to do for bushes etc? I got a set of Darren a few months ago but it was his last set. :( sorry waaaay off topic here

nic1894

Likes Bikes and Dirt
haha you guys miss the point, the land lords don't put the rent down because people start buying of crc, nor is the cost of living going to get less anytime soon. If you think bike shops will continue to open every week for the occasional dollar then you are simply fucked in the head. I have no personal problem with it as i don't require a bike shops anyway, but to everyone who buys online that requires their bike shop to assemble their shit you may have some problems in the future.

beardi

Likes Dirt
haha you guys miss the point, the land lords don't put the rent down because people start buying of crc, nor is the cost of living going to get less anytime soon. If you think bike shops will continue to open every week for the occasional dollar then you are simply fucked in the head. I have no personal problem with it as i don't require a bike shops anyway, but to everyone who buys online that requires their bike shop to assemble their shit you may have some problems in the future.
Do we really think that 100% of people who buy bikes will in the future buy them online? So mum needs a bike for Jonny do you really think she's gonna jump online and get one off CRC? I think it is highly unlikely everyone will be doing this. If there is demand, then a business will pop up to service it. Sure the LBS might not be as widespread as they are now, but to suggest there will be no one around to assemble your shit is quite frankly a ridiculous notion; one that assumes anyone into cycling will have to have bike mechanic-like knowledge. The game is changing not ending, time the fear-mongers got on with it I reckon.

Anyway back on topic.......

So many good deals from LBS and online....which one to chose? Was pretty happy with a brand spanking new Manitou Circus Pro for $240!

Loneryda

Likes Bikes
Actually I recall a discussion with a boss from an old job who believed that one day it will be where you're fully qualified as a bicycle assembler, where you're on contract to service a Sports/department stores bike shop and no-one, because of liability, is allowed to assemble a bike except the qualified assembler. I remember this bloke who we contracted to assemble for us, he worked as a bike mechanic, he "built" about ten bikes in 3 hrs, I went over to inspect them, all the head-sets were loose, the bars, the gears out, brakes rubbing.....and he was a qualified bike mechanic working in another store in town. Telling him ablout actual life'n'death reality either buy customer or customers family, he didn't care...Suprising really that there isn't some sort of control by government regarding this, hell they regulate everything else...industry safety standards, relying on self regulation and reputation can be dangerous IMO with a customers only recourse - civil or criminal liabel.