Best dh tyres?

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hay all,

I am looking at getting some new Dh tyres for my bike as they are getting close to the end of their life, I have been told I should get big bettys as there great in the dry. What are peoples thoughts and any advice on other good tyres would be great

Last edited:

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
, try to hang on untill the new michelins are easily available. ifthey are anything like the old michi's from way back(which european reports say they are) then they will beat just about anything available atthe moment. i have the wild gripr 2.4's on for this weekend. they are marketed as afreeride tyre butthe tread pattern looks good for dry and fast rolloing.

tres tres sticky too.

will let you know how they went.

Oh yeah, continental der kaiser kicks ass too.

driftking

Wheel size expert
this has been asked quite a bit so try searching. i guess maxxis minnions are the favorite. I use a michelin on the front and highroller on the back and cant complain.But there're still better set ups.
I guess theres no "best tyre" but best tyres for there condition. the top of the line dry tire will not beat a average mud tire on a muddy track. So choose on the conditions you ride in, which been Aus im going to assume will be dry majority of the time, I'd go with minnions. or as above said wait for the new michelin tires.

Last edited:

nexusfish

El Mariachi
Maxxis fly weight! only 330 grams and totally puncture proof. made from the same tyres the space shuttle uses to drive on the moon

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Maxxis fly weight! only 330 grams and totally puncture proof. made from the same tyres the space shuttle uses to drive on the moon
Hmmm. That made me go 'Whoa'! and then I thought about it.
The moon hasn't rally got much gravity... So you could effectively roll around on some inflated condoms and they'd probably do the trick. It does have me intrigued though... Hmmm...

driftking

Wheel size expert
arnt flyweight tubes, not tyres?
They are a light tube however Id probably go with a maxxis ultra light tube's instead which is .60mm thick (0.15 thicker than flyweight) and will only add 60grams more for the pair.

Last edited:

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmm. That made me go 'Whoa'! and then I thought about it.
The moon hasn't rally got much gravity... So you could effectively roll around on some inflated condoms and they'd probably do the trick. It does have me intrigued though... Hmmm...
HAHAHAHA i dont think i will be putting them on my bike anytime soon

hazza6542

Eats Squid
HAHAHAHA i dont think i will be putting them on my bike anytime soon
I'm keen for some Trojan's as dh tubes.

I'm running Intense tyres at the moment, couldn't tell you which ones cos they were just nice and cheap and I'm feeling more confident than on Minion.

driftking

Wheel size expert
go minions mate, DH front on the front and the rear.
I have read about this before but can you refresh my memory why it is better? there was also something about using a front treaded tyre on the front with the rotation direction on backwards??
I think it all came down to rolling resistance not grip?
sorry for the mini post hijack.

RMS116

Likes Dirt
You will get heaps of people saying minion fronts, which there is nothing wrong with because they are a good alround tyre.

I've currently got kenda nevegals and are still serving me well although they prove to be quite loose and drift a bit on really rock and dry terrain.
Schwalbe muddy marys would be good to look into. They are a bit pricy but thats what I'll be running as soons as I run the nevegals into the ground.

wengji

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah i tend to get loss in the back end a bit on off camber corners, thinking maybe a muddy mary up front and possible big betty on the back, what do you think?

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah Im running a muddy mary (2.35 gooey gluey) compound up front and a Big Betty (tripple compound) up back and pretty damn impressive on the trails I ride mate, which are basically the same as you. lighter than Minions too which is a bonus

jrewing

Eats Squid
Any tyres that are fresh and soft compound will be best. make sure pressures are correct too.
Dont get too caught up on brand though. Fresh edges and soft compound.

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
They roll faster, feel like they grip more, and two for $40.
te intense tyres are Much better tyres for hardpack because the knobs are that bit stiffer, and they grip good in loose stuff because they dig in really well. I feel that on loose over hardpack the minions re the better tyre and skip out less, but over all I really like the intense tyres, especially for the price