Best dh tyres?

I had a decent set up of Kenda sticky on the front and a Gazzolodi on the rear, it worked well in all conditions!!! A bit slick when it was really dry though?!

Tomshak

Likes Dirt
Go minions.
I used to have Kenda Nevegal's and managed to puncture pretty much ever time I rode.
I then got minions, and haven't had a puncture since (almost a year).
There's still plenty of tread, they are grippy and all in all brilliant :D

driftking

Wheel size expert
Go minions.
I used to have Kenda Nevegal's and managed to puncture pretty much ever time I rode.
I then got minions, and haven't had a puncture since (almost a year).
There's still plenty of tread, they are grippy and all in all brilliant :D
I used kenda nevegals for a solid 1 year bit longer, rode them at thredbo and local tracks,never got a flat with them ever. they are not the best tyre in terms of grip and yes their side walls are thin, I think I must have been quite lucky with punctures and tire pressures to come away with no issues using kendas.
I only used them becasue they were stock tyres i wouldnt buy them.

nzblakis

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I run them the other way round big betty on front muddy mary on back or when its wet muddy mary both ends
Yep im doing the same and love it, ive already ordered a new set to do the same thing when mine wear out.
Never have any issues with them.

U.D.O

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I would have put a Big Betty on the rear if I were to run one, as it's a faster rolling tire, then the Muddy Mary on front for grip.
But I just got Muddy Mary's both ends, had them for a few days and first impressions are good.

And also, I heard amongst internet mumble that the 2.35's Muddy Mary's are more like a Maxxis 2.5". But since the 2.35's were out of stock in DH compounds I just got the 2.5", and I can't see what everyone talking about, looks the same to me.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Personally I would have put a Big Betty on the rear if I were to run one, as it's a faster rolling tire, then the Muddy Mary on front for grip.
But I just got Muddy Mary's both ends, had them for a few days and first impressions are good.

And also, I heard amongst internet mumble that the 2.35's Muddy Mary's are more like a Maxxis 2.5". But since the 2.35's were out of stock in DH compounds I just got the 2.5", and I can't see what everyone talking about, looks the same to me.
Yeah def Muddy Mary on the front as its the grippier of the 2. As stated I'm running the gooey glooey compound which is really soft and tacky, and the big betty on the rear is the tripple compound for less rolling resistance and better wear. I can't rave about this combo enough! For a booner like me there were areas on a cerrain local track that if you got your lines a lil wrong you would get a drift on with the minions! I can't get these things to drift yet (that may not be good for some)

And yes the 2.35 Muddy Mary is def bigger than a 2.5 Minion andd High Roller. Its also a lil bigger than the 2.4 Big Betty. No need to go to 2.5 MM. I think the MM 2.35 casing is about 5mm biggger than a 2.5 Minion on the same wheel. Also should be avout 100g lighter

Heaps of info on ridemonkey and mtbr.com

I'm running schwalbe on all my bikes now! Got Nobby Nics on my all mountain bike too. Adrian can get em in for you James

Last edited:

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bit of a thread hijack but it is relevant and might help you.

Currently running Continental Der Kaisers on a tubeless set up (823 rims/downhill bike) and performance wise I couldn't be happier. At the time now where new tyres are just about in order (as I've punctured the sidewalls on 2 Der Kaisers and I'm having to run a very heavy, no brand rear tyre at the moment which is awful). Just considering a few other options before I simply replace the Continentals.

To start off with I don't like Kenda's and I think Minions are one of the most overrated products in mountain biking. I don't mind High Rollers as a rear tyre. So I've pretty much narrowed my choices to either replacing the Der Kaisers or get something from the Schwalbe downhill range.

One tyre that hasn't been mentioned is the Wicked Will. Where does this fit in comparison to the Muddy Mary and Big Betty? Out of the Schwalbe range is the Muddy Mary front/Big Betty rear one of the best combinations for all conditions? Can anyone compare the Schwalbe tyres with the Der Kaisers (which I should mention are about $15-$20 more expensive per tyre)?

My guidelines in order of importance are;
  1. Able to run tubeless (even if it isn't a tubeless specific tyre, just what works best with a tubeless rim and some sealant like what I've been doing previously)
  2. Grip (all conditions but I guess mainly dry)
  3. Weight
  4. Puncture Protection
  5. Rolling Resistance
  6. Durability
  7. Price

Thanks in advance.

Nick53

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Probably should have done a bit of research before posting originally. After doing some here are a few points I have found:

- Like the Continentals, the Schwalbe tyres are very wide for 2.5's (in comparison to Maxxis). A 2.35 Muddy Mary is suppose to be similar to a 2.5 Minion and a 2.5 Muddy Mary similar to a 2.7 Minion.

- Also like the Continentals, you need to run a little less air pressure to get the best results (in comparison to a Minion/High Roller)

- It seems that the weight of the Schwalbe tyres varies a lot between identical tyres (I've read up to 400g on a 2.5 Gooey Gooey Muddy Mary). Seems pretty suspect.
The Big Betty doesn't seem that great. Only thing it has going for it is it is faster rolling and better for hardpack stuff as the knobs are not as tall. Could be alright as a rear. Schwalbe claim it's not a lighter than the Muddy Mary but from what I've read it is.

- Schwalbe's Triple Nano compound seems a bit hit and miss but apparently they have recently released all new compounds (which conveniently are not yet shown on their website).

- The new compounds are called 'Triple Star' (there's 3 of them called Pace, Trail and Vert) are all 'tubeless ready' so they might be worth waiting for. Pace being the hard compound, Vert being the softer and Trail being in the middle but still softer compared to the Triple Nano they have now.

- Schwalbe tyres are known to be better compared to the Continentals when it comes to sidewall punctures.

- Overall grip in dry conditions between the Der Kaiser, Muddy Mary and Minion are said to be similar with the Minion rolling the fastest. With the Der Kaiser and Muddy Mary apparently you can lean your bike over more without loosing traction and they are better in more moist and soggy conditions. They also don't clog up shitloads in mud.

Anyway hope that helps a bit. Actually found a thread comparing the Muddy Mary with the Der Kaiser. Link is here.

At the moment I think I'll try something different just for the sake of it and go a 2.5 Muddy Mary in the VertStar compound on the front with a 2.35 Muddy Mary with the TrailStar compound on the rear. I wonder if they will still have the options of the Freeride or Downhill casings? If anyone can add anything that would be appreciated.

Last edited:

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
i;ll put this up even though this thread appears to have moved from the origional question a bit. As said i ran my new michelin wildgripr's front and rear in the beerburrum 6hr dh on sunday.
i have riden that track on several different sets of tyres inc, minion/ardent combo, minio/highroler combo continental kaiser/rubber queen combo and kaiser kaiser.

for that track which is pedally hard pack that gets loose and dusty(like a lot of aussie tracks) these are by far the best tyres ive had on that track.

the grip was fenominal and the speed was fantastic. having said that they are the 2.4 "free ride" tyre with high side knobs and low center knobs. now i've recovered its time to see how they go on tambo, hopefully they will be as good.

way back when, michelin ruled the roost and it looks like the new tyre range will have them back up there soon, due to good tyres and good prices.

Chuckie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2.35 Muddy Mary is plenty big enough (slightly bigger than a 2.5 Minion), really no need to go 2.5

I have used maxxis minions and they are great to ride on, they are smooth and have a fair bit of traction. Or you could get some Downhill Specific these are maxxis aswell and are a really good tire to get.