Best Hip Hop Album Ever.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches

"To the extreme I rock the mic like a vandal, light up the stage I'll wax a chump like a candle!"

word to your mother...

:cool:

personally a fair proportion of my late teens were spent caning Cypress Hill's 'Black Sunday' Ice-T's 'Original Gangster' and Public Enemy's 'it takes a nation of millions...' but then it's not really my main cup of tea so I can't really comment...

red_d0g

Likes Dirt
muph & plutonic - and then tomorrow came, silence the sirens, hunger pains :)

horrorshow is different to any other hiphop i have heard not the greatest but certainly good!

mystro - diggi down unda; what a great album hes from the UK

dj bonez - roll call is pretty good too!

i love aussie hiphop so much more than any other, but ice cube etc are great to listen to sometimes

oh and does anyone have last.fm?

Last edited:

EzyLee

Likes Dirt
I have these two mixtapes by DJ Konflikt that pretty much feature the best of Mos Def and another one for Common. They are getting heavy rotation on my ipod at the moment.

Dilated Peoples - 20/20 Vision also does it for me and so does Heiroglyphics - Third Eye Vision.

As far as Aussie Hip Hop goes... Pegz - Axis, Muph + Plutonic - Hunger Pains are my pic of the bunch.

merlz

Likes Bikes
I love a lot of older hip hop artists, but 3 all time favourite albums would be:

Gang Starr - Full Clip: A Decade of Gang Starr
Souls of Mischief - 93 'til Infinity
KRS ONE - KRS ONE

Bit like trying to pick the best rock album.

Anyway, here's a few must have hip-hop albums.

PE- Fear of a Black Planet

Dangerdoom- Mouse and the Mask (You're a fool if you don't own this album)
Def vs Doom w DJ Phonetic- Mix Bag
Roots Manuva- Awfully Deep/Alternately Deep & Run Come Save Me
Cypress Hil- Black SUnday
Deltron- 3030
Busta Ryhmes- The Coming
A Tribe Called Quest- Beats, Rymes and Life
De La Soul- 3 Feet High and Rising

Wu Tang Clan- Wu Tang Forever
Ol' Dirty Bastard- Return to the 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version, and Nigga Please

Jay Z- The Blueprint (god I wanted to hate the guy, but fuck its a top album. Also dig the by-line to this album release. An album that was tightly kept under wraps throughout production, then announced a week prior to release, Sept. 11th 2001. Long story short, album released, planes crash, WTC collapses, America left reeling, only 16 000 albums sold in first 4 days of release, 3 days out from chart debut and The Blueprint was shaping up as hip-hop's biggest commercial flop, in last 72hrs it sells in excess of 430 000 copies to debut not only at number 1, but also as hip-hop's highest selling debut album.)
Bliss n Eso- Flying Colours
Urthboy- Distant Sense of Random Menace

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Yup, Fear of a Black Planet was by far and unfortunatly P.E.s best album. Coldlampin cerial.
Defjam Classics(I think volume two)was cool.

spewyogrady

Likes Dirt
25 yrs later

Various - Enjoy!
Label: New York Connexion
Catalog#: NYL 500
Format: 2 x Vinyl, 12"

Released: 1983
Genre: Hip Hop
Style:
Notes: Compiled by Bobby Robinson of Enjoy Records and Disc O'Dell of Y Records. Both records play at 45rpm.

Cover Illustration: Emma Harrison
Inside Photo: Wayne Sorce
Design: Martin Lambert

Distributed by IDS

Rating: 4.7/5 (7 votes) Rate It
Submitted by: cowcud
10 for sale in the Discogs Marketplace

Tracklisting:
A1 Fearless Four, The Rockin' It
A2 Funky 4 + 1 Rappin' And Rockin' The House
B1 Grandmaster Flash & The Furious Five Super Rappin' No.2
B2 Higher Ground (2) Shake 'Em Up
C1 Treacherous Three The Body Rock
C2 Spoonie Gee Love Rap
D1 Masterdon Committee, The Gonna Get You Hot
D2 Midnight Blue Enjoy With Me

Write a Review

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
+1 ... De La Soul > 3 feet High and Rising
Jungle Brothers > Done by the Forces of Nature

*edit
Onyx > Back da F#%k Up ... angry music with beat

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Really hasn't hip-hop been a big dissapointment... in the 80s and 90s it had progressed from Grandmaster Flash to stuff like PE and then it just sucked.

After that it became repetitive with no new innovation and lots of stupid acting tough crap. It just became boring and hasn't progressed anywhere near fast enough to be valid. Its like phsychadelic pop, or surf music.. really terrific stuff just a stagnant form of artistic expression repeating the same cliches over and over.

The only advances have been away from the genre with things like Squarepusher, DJ Shadow, and Richard E James.... and that stuff relates more to the dub tradition in many ways than hip-hop.

I am probably wrong, but I would like to be shown some progession and validity. It really is a shame it just sort of pimped itself out to mediocrity no matter how much it puffs up its feathers.

I vote "Fear of Black Planet" as a peak... maybe Paul's Boutique.

frosteee01

Likes Bikes
cant beleive im on page 4 of this thread and someone has not mentioned the albumn

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON by NWA...

greatist hip hop albumn of all time...........

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Best rap song ever:

Jedi Mind Tricks: Uncommon Valor (A Vietnam Story)

Best albums:

Immortal Technique: Revolutionary Vol. 1
Jedi Mind Tricks: The Psycho-Social, Chemical, Biological & Electro-Magnetic Manipulation of Human Consciousness
Wu-Tang Clan: Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)
Aesop Rock: Labor Days
NWA: Straight Outta Compton
Brother Ali: Shadows on the Sun
Madvillian: Madvilliany

gravelclimber

Likes Dirt
Really hasn't hip-hop been a big dissapointment... in the 80s and 90s it had progressed from Grandmaster Flash to stuff like PE and then it just sucked.

After that it became repetitive with no new innovation and lots of stupid acting tough crap. It just became boring and hasn't progressed anywhere near fast enough to be valid. Its like phsychadelic pop, or surf music.. really terrific stuff just a stagnant form of artistic expression repeating the same cliches over and over.

The only advances have been away from the genre with things like Squarepusher, DJ Shadow, and Richard E James.... and that stuff relates more to the dub tradition in many ways than hip-hop.

I am probably wrong, but I would like to be shown some progession and validity. It really is a shame it just sort of pimped itself out to mediocrity no matter how much it puffs up its feathers.

I vote "Fear of Black Planet" as a peak... maybe Paul's Boutique.
Here's some progression:

CGR

Likes Dirt
too many to choose just one...

Jurassic 5 - Power in numbers, Quality control
Gang Starr - Moment of truth
Wu-tang Clan - Enter the Wu-tang (36 chambers) <---most people here seem to agree on this
Nas - Illmatic
Zion I - Mind over matter
Hilltop Hoods - Left foot, right foot, The Calling

Unfortunatly this is mostly american stuff, will check out some of the English/Aussie names in this thread.

Jay Z- The Blueprint (god I wanted to hate the guy, but fuck its a top album. Also dig the by-line to this album release. An album that was tightly kept under wraps throughout production, then announced a week prior to release, Sept. 11th 2001. Long story short, album released, planes crash, WTC collapses, America left reeling, only 16 000 albums sold in first 4 days of release, 3 days out from chart debut and The Blueprint was shaping up as hip-hop's biggest commercial flop, in last 72hrs it sells in excess of 430 000 copies to debut not only at number 1, but also as hip-hop's highest selling debut album.)
Haven't had a really good listen to it, but i wasn't all that impressed, Reasonable Doubt was, and is, a milllllllion times better. Can't say i like Jay-Z much, if at all, but that album is the exception that proves the rule...