Best option to stop glasses fogging up

redbruce

Eats Squid
catcrap....

google it :very_drunk:
Seems to work quite well on googles, I use it through winter on my motorbike helmet visor (note it takes several applications to build up a film that reliably works).

Doesnt seem to work well on glasses for some reason.

ozimad

Likes Dirt
Yup, same here.

Slightly off topic here, but when I went snowboarding at Mt Buller with a friend I brought with me a new pair of snow goggles. I pretty much kept them on the whole entire day, whilst my friend was constantly complaining about fogging in his goggles, taking it on and off to spit in it every now and then on the mountain. I didn't have ANY fogging WHATSOEVER until I found and removed a easily unnoticeable very thin plastic layer covering the lenses on the inside... After that, I regretted having thrown that little plastic layer thing away. The rest of the time spent on the mountain became frustrating as I was doing on and off thing with the goggles just like my mate. GRRRRRRR

I think it's a great idea to prevent fogging up on the goggles with the thin plastic layer! Highly unlikely, but I will see if I can ask to get one of those sneaky little plastic layers from one of TBSM's Oakley goggles if I ever pay another visit. :)
Hmmm.. I wonder if clear contact will do the trick.. Worth a try

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
I will call that "very thin plastic layer", a clear plastic film instead... Either way, once I get off my ass and have the time to do so I will give it a try! Get a rough outline of the shape, then cut away... Once I have the end result, I will upload a piccy for all to see!

I really think goggle manufacturers should consider this as something permanent for their goggles as this would help a shit-tonne.

redbruce

Eats Squid
wonder if the rainx anti fog would work... or ruin stuff?
From experience I can definitely say RainX doesnt work for fogging.

It also leaves a residue that means that once you have used it you either have to keep reapplying it or remove the residue completely.

XYGTHO

Likes Dirt
I just bought some sunnies from torpedo7 for about $30 which have two small oval holes to the side of each lens and the nose piece sits them out a touch work great so far, my old Bolle ones fogged up all the time.

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From experience I can definitely say RainX doesnt work for fogging.

It also leaves a residue that means that once you have used it you either have to keep reapplying it or remove the residue completely.
yeah but the rainx anit fog stuff? I use rainx windscreen stuff on my car, but never used the anti fog... but nit sure if you can use it on non glass

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ah well there goes that idea... i also see they say liek the regualr rainx, can't be used on plastic, so I guess sunnies are out...

I will call that "very thin plastic layer", a clear plastic film instead... Either way, once I get off my ass and have the time to do so I will give it a try! Get a rough outline of the shape, then cut away... Once I have the end result, I will upload a piccy for all to see!

I really think goggle manufacturers should consider this as something permanent for their goggles as this would help a shit-tonne.
You'll find that any snow-goggle worth a pinch of nanny-goat sh1t will have double (even up to triple lenses) to act as a thermal barrier. Keep them on and they will stay fog-free. Put them on your head and they will instantly fog up.

These goggles also have a chemical sponge on the inside lens to mop up any moisture.

Doesn't really help the OP, but there it is (unless you can find double-layer sunnies somewhere)

downhillar

Likes Dirt
I was googling this topic a couple of days ago trying to work out how to stop motocross goggles from fogging (even though they have all the fancy vents etc).

There were mixed opinions on CatCrap - some said it worked amazingly, others said it didn't work at all, it's so hard to tell if the people who said it doesn't work just didn't apply it correctly etc. so I'm still not sure about that.

The 2nd most popular solution was lemon pledge. I can't remember how they were applying it, I think they were wiping it on the lens, letting it dry and then polishing it back off. Anyway people were saying that worked really well, try googling it and see what you find.

If you find something that actually works please let us know!!

redbruce

Eats Squid
I was googling this topic a couple of days ago trying to work out how to stop motocross goggles from fogging (even though they have all the fancy vents etc).

There were mixed opinions on CatCrap - some said it worked amazingly, others said it didn't work at all, it's so hard to tell if the people who said it doesn't work just didn't apply it correctly etc. so I'm still not sure about that.

The 2nd most popular solution was lemon pledge. I can't remember how they were applying it, I think they were wiping it on the lens, letting it dry and then polishing it back off. Anyway people were saying that worked really well, try googling it and see what you find.

If you find something that actually works please let us know!!
Catcrap works reasonably well on googles (although not to my sons satisfaction when he was racing BMX and DH) and helmet visors. You seem to need at least a small airflow over the treated surface so once you stop fogging will occur but to a lesser degree than untreated.

It also requires multiple applications to build up sufficient film depth to work. Unlike double walled lenses on ski googles it does'nt work by insulating the inner surface to prevent condensation. It (like RainX) works by altering the surface tension so small drops cant form readily. Large drops can form but run off the surface.

I use to use catcrap through winter on my motorcycle helmet visor but found just leaving the visor cracked open a touch worked even better. It doesnt seem to work on spectacles at all really.

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pleas tell me your are not going to put clear contact on your $300 pair of riding glasses. You nice vented lenses with will look great with air bubbles on them, as well as ruining the optical quality.

Goggles are a completely different thing, they are designed to completely enclose around your eyes, hence why you need to use something to stop them from fogging. Have you even tried using the bigger nose piece and adjusting them slightly off your face when you are going slow or stopped? Air now gets through - problem solved.

Please try this before putting contact or any other stupid gooey things on your nice glasses.