Best Place to live and Ride in Australia

scbullit

Likes Dirt
I've been to Canberra several times.

I know people who live there and they agree, as a teenager it is dead set the most boring state capital city.

It's almost as bad as Maryborough on a Saturday night...
Boring people = boring times...

rone

Eats Squid
I have to agree with everyone who said Hobart. Was there 3 weeks ago and it was unbelievable. Trails and MTB parks everywhere. Unfortunately I was unable to take a bike down because the Wife said something about taking the kids instead but I will go back, mark my words. Made returning to Hervey Bay a bit...depressing.:(

Mtb1speed

Likes Dirt
^^Its got a bloody good bakery:D (Beachworth that is)

I'd say SE Queensland. Yes I'm biased. It's all about the weather. Oh and we've got Australia's best DH track.
+1 for Canberra. I grew up in tassie and for a teenager it can be a bugger of a place to grow up. Public transport sucks and there is a real lack of oppurtunity for most sports down there. It's great if your an adult and have a car to get around. 90% of public buses in Canberra have bike racks and stromlo, majurra and issacs are easy acCess from bus stops.

Best DH track in aus? Been for a ride at Thredbo of late?

guern

Squid
Glad to see that I've generated a healthy debate! So far it seems Canberra and Tassie are leading the way!

Mr Kurt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There are lots of XC tracks in Hiddenvale, locker valley, Queensland. and just up the road there are Dirt Jumps in grandchester. then in laidley there is a hill called Bigfoot, that has some little downhill tracks, they will need a bit of work but there is potential.

Plus around all three of those towns its really quite

LeeD

Likes Dirt
What clockwork said!
Cairns and surrounds rocks.
More trails than a nation of snails could make.
And main roads shuttles for some.

rone

Eats Squid
We're selling our house in Qld and moving to Hobart as soon as it sells.

I cannot wait.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Newcastle. we got awaba, glenrock barrington, scone, ourimbah just down the road, trails up taree way, beach, good food, great lifestyle, plenty of work, and a 5 minute peak hour each day

ben.h

Squid
Tassie++

For XC and roadies in Hobart, it gets even better...
We have a group that rides at lunchtime everyday from somewhere in the CBD. The ability to ride from the capital and be in the bush on any number of XC trails (and the possibilities are almost endless) or be on any number of great roads on the roadie is unmatched. Mt Wellington hanging over the city really is an asset for DH, XC and roadies alike. I still find it hard to believe that I am so lucky to be able to go bush at lunchtime every single day of the week, on different trails all the time, from the centre of the city!

Our group have so many XC and road circuits in our arsenal that fit into a lunch break at work it is almost too good to be true!

The weather (contrary to popular belief) is pretty temperate all year round and rarely is the weather bad enough to cancel a ride.

Weekends and outside working hours is a whole other world of opportunities (as mentioned by others) with things such as Glenorchy and Clarence MTB parks, endless bush trails, more single trails than you could poke a stick at, fire trails criss crossing the state and awesome ride locations everywhere within 2 hours driving distance (usually a lot less than 2 hours). So many 50 to 100km scenic road ride circuits, the mouth waters!

Events: XC, enduro and multisport events galore! DH and 4X too. If you're into track, road, crit, audax, then there's all that too. Even MTB orienteering if that's your thing.

I love the bush (bushwalking is massive down here)... just getting carried away now, better stop :p

Spend a few weeks riding with some locals and you will not be disappointed :)

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This kind of thread always gets a bit of "mine's better than yours" going, but anyway:

I'm a canberra guy and I dig it, the riding is excellent both on road and off. My 19km commute only has 2km of actual in the traffic with the cars - it's unreal and I can add dirt to the mix easily.

As people have already said Coast is close, Thredbo is close, Sydney is an easy cruise up the Hume. But - housing is pretty pricey, we're now 2nd to Sydney in Median house price and the rental market is super tight, so factor in fairly nasty rent.

Purt - it's not boring, you just need to get to know the place. Canberra has plenty on, it's just not as in your face and obvious as the big smokes. But I'm an old bloke now with kids so part of the appeal is the relative quiet and ease of getting around, so it's cool if you don't get it. If everyone loved the place and rushed here it'd ruin it for me.......

Guern - You said job opps look like Perth, Brissy etc. What's the industry you are in? No point getting stoked on places like Canberra for the riding if your job is say shipbuilding :p

yakuza857

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guern - You said job opps look like Perth, Brissy etc. What's the industry you are in? No point getting stoked on places like Canberra for the riding if your job is say shipbuilding :p
haha funny you should say that, my dads a naval architect:rolleyes:

but serisoly canberra is not boring at all im 16 and theres plenty to do here. its a easy 10min commute to city centre via bush or roads for me. loads of places to ride no more than 30min drive within canberra. only thing not so good about canberra is lack of dirtjumps, but thats gonna change soon :)

Camakazi

Squid
Perth

If its dry conditions your looking for Perth is it, 39 today.With plenty of single track around perth hills to keep you busy,or go on a road trip down south and spoil yourself.
Just ask Sam or Holly:p

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am gonna wave a flag for Newcastle/Central Coast area.

Ourimbah - DH, XC, AM and Pump track.

Awaba MTB Park - DH, XC, AM and Pump track. World Trail designed.

Glenrock - XC, epic XC and DJs. World Trail designed.

THE UNKNOWN RIDER - Rosco will have you eating pie and requiring a lung/leg transplant after one of his epic multi day treks through the Wattagan Nat Park.

Great beaches, laid back people, great bikes shops, killer bike trails and plenty of work.