Best place to ride in Canberra area

StInKy LoVeR

Likes Dirt
Hint, once down the bottom of the dh trail, not the sprint to the carpark. turn right and pedal along the fireroad you can park the shuttle car in a little carpark, takes off driving around the complex. Saves a couple mins everytime.

Stromlo is definately good for shuttles.

The only downside is that it takes so freaking long to get to the top as u have to go out the main enterance and then around the facility, then dodge road cyclists on the way up!!

k_d

Likes Dirt
Hint, once down the bottom of the dh trail, not the sprint to the carpark. turn right and pedal along the fireroad you can park the shuttle car in a little carpark, takes off driving around the complex. Saves a couple mins everytime.
Thanks for the hint, I will have to try that next time I am out there.

triples

Likes Dirt
for xc sparrow's hands down, closely followed by majura and then oconnor ridge. mt rogers for a good climb, and hawker pinnacle for a quiet squirt.

ratchit

Squid
WildWassa, love your work, sir. Some of the Stromlo pics look so damned beautiful though they're unrecognisable as Stromlo! How do you make it look so good?

Last edited:

k_d

Likes Dirt
Yep - plus there is rumours of a pump track coming...............
Rumors of heaps of stuff coming, keyword rumors. Fingers crossed it all happens, and I thank the people involved in the process for all their hard work towards this, but personally, Ill believe it when I see it.

Ezreal2001

Likes Bikes
I trust my source, but lets wait and see. It'll be unreal if it happens though.
Would the possiblity of pump track goodness have any thing to do with recent appearance of a whole bunch of dirt mounds on the XC short course between the 4x track and trials area?

the_beast

Likes Dirt
I believe that the dirt on the short course is for some more berms and maybe some jumps not a pump track unfortunately. I have heard that the pump track would either go in the middle of the short course or on the other side of the 4x finish near the new road. But again these are just rumours!

Bucket Master

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
I'd be pretty confident of there being a pump track there in a little while, and i think that I have a pretty good source

WildWassa

Banned
I'd like to tell you where I think are good places to ride but the over officious will tell me that that where I will recommend, is 95% illegal riding.
... but if you don't give a toss, it is just a "twist to the ri-ri-ri-right!" ... from here go under the tunnel east of the AIS training track, then cross onto the dirt.

Warren.

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Wildwassa, did you get any pics of the graffiti in this tunnel? Or is that not the kind of thing you are interested in photographing?

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
Warren, I'm not trying to be a Nazi or be overly officious. I want to see us get more access and I don't want riders to be seen as merely a pain in the arse by the people who have the power to make that decision.

There are the John Hargreaves etc of the world who will clamp down like a ton of bricks on any user group that displease them in the hope of getting voter support. Heck, he's still irate about that damage done in the mid 90's at Majura by a single bike race.

We need to make allies, not enemies if we can and there are many in Parks who come from a conservation/preservation mindset who would like to ban any access whatsoever (and who have the support of the more militant bushwalkers).

Enjoy your riding.