Best shuttle car

bigred86

Likes Bikes
I'm after a replacement vehicle and was just wondering what you guys thought was the best shuttle set up/car?
I'm thinking dc navara but open to ideas.

Best shuttle car?

At the risk of sounding a right dirt-bag, hands down it has to be the quintessential Ford Transit van or equivalent- the ultimate MTBer bongo bus! Perfect for shuttling bikes & crew. Chuck up a side awning & you've got yourself prime race/ride weekend digs; rain, hail or shine. Mega dashboard for all those random tyre levers, patch kits, coffee cups, trail maps, sunnies & ride-glasses, highway footrest etc. Tonnes of room inside for kit storage, bed roll & bikes. A total man-cave on wheels. :tea:

Which might mean buying a Mazda 323 as a 2nd car runaround...

Shredden

Knows his goats
We have had difficulty in the past getting up shuttle roads in both a hiace and in our falcon - narby was uncomfortable and slow, and the very top section of Mt Beauty just too steep/rough. Some of our private trails are even worse. The best shuttle car I have ever been in is a 2010 Land Cruiser 72 with a gripsport rack. Its big, has great off road ability, and the turbo diesel V8 is super powerful.

But seeing as you want to know the "best", for a combination of speed, handling, badass factor, and bike-carrying ability, definitely an F150 Raptor trophy truck :)

robmac-tt250_4hR.jpg

Last edited:

ChopSticks

Banned
if given the choice I'd opt for a van over a ute.
come down to how serious you are about riding.... with the Van you can stack/store bikes very neatly and still have plenty of room for mates.

You can even deck it out with a bed/couch etc for 24hr races...

But the main benefit for me is being able to lock the bikes in the vehicle without worrying them getting stolen during the post ride munchies.

edit:
dual cabs are great for getting more buddies in the car... but it usually means the tray is much shorter, so bikes cant be on both wheels and pointing straight, so def invest in a tailgate mat if shuttles is all you want to do

Last edited:

jacko13

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have an RA LT Rodeo (2003) 3lt Turbo Diesel, manual, dual cab with a dakine pad on the back.
Works awesome, more than enough power (once shuttled a full bike trailer and riders up a long 4wd track no worries) and doesn't use much fuel even when shuttling 4wd tracks/dirt roads (under 10L to the 100k)

They have an isuzu engine in them which are known to be pretty reliable. Not as expensive as hilux's etc, but still an awesome car, and good for everything else too. 5 mates and 5 bikes tends to be a good number to punch out runs all day. Highly reccomend. Vans are good, but no good if its a wet dirt road, or you have to put extra seats in etc.

Optic

Likes Dirt
I have an RA LT Rodeo (2003) 3lt Turbo Diesel, manual, dual cab with a dakine pad on the back.
Works awesome, more than enough power (once shuttled a full bike trailer and riders up a long 4wd track no worries) and doesn't use much fuel even when shuttling 4wd tracks/dirt roads (under 10L to the 100k)

They have an isuzu engine in them which are known to be pretty reliable. Not as expensive as hilux's etc, but still an awesome car, and good for everything else too. 5 mates and 5 bikes tends to be a good number to punch out runs all day. Highly reccomend. Vans are good, but no good if its a wet dirt road, or you have to put extra seats in etc.
+1 for the Isuzu rodeos, if you want to spend a it more get a 2008-2011 Colorado, same engine etc in the diesels. Tough as boots and cheap to maintain compared to hiluxs etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

MARKL

Eats Squid
You know the REAL answer to whats the best shuttle car?

Someone else's car. :first:
Exactly, otherwise my rodeo tray back was good. Vans are great for travelling, not so great for shuttling. Best thing is something with 7+ seats and a trailer. I'm sure some of the guys in our crew only ride for the road trip