Best ways to wash your bike

crooker

Likes Dirt
Hey peoples, so you finished up for the day, your bike is skipping gears, your crank area is plastered in mud and it weighs a ton! Any body use a gerni and just blast the mud away? Grab a sponge and a bucket of hot water and wash it all away?............ Or just leave it lol.

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Grab the high pressure, spray it and let it drip dry. Anyone who says it fucks bearings doesnt know what they are talking about, Ive been doing this for my last 3 bikes and never had a bearing die because of it.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I used to use option C (just leave it) but now I give it a spray down with the garden hose, give it a wipe down and then clean the chain, forks etc. Seems to run much better now funnily enough.

tegski

Likes Dirt
Knock off dirt with garden hose on jet spray setting.
CT-18 truck wash wipe over. Wait 10-20 mins and then wipe/rinse off. Dirt falls off.
Wipe dry with chamois and inspect for latest damage.
Let dry.
Lube chain etc ready for next ride.
(Oh - then explain why I don't spent that much time with the children to my wife…)
Bike is very shiny...:rolleyes:

RICOCHET

Likes Dirt
If you do it right gerni won't damage bearings anyway. The best way is to get some sort of soft detergent soak it then gerni over the main parts but don't gerni over bearings/hubs/BB/Headset. Just go lower pressure and scrub the muck away. I use muc off and my bike comes up like new. I towel dry so it doesn't leave water marks :D .

For drivetrain a 1.99 can of degreaser and an old wash brush with a LIGHT hose do a the trick followed by a chain bath (I got a park tools one) with more degreaser then dry and relube. Keeps my bike running like new.

T-Rex

Template denier
I don't use a pressure washer any more, as you can only wash 2/3s of the bike with it. If you point it at any bearings, is forces water and dirt into them, and shortens their life considerably.

I use CT18 (Truck wash, buy it from Repco) in a Hills pump up 1 litre pressure sprayer, diluted 10:1. If the bike is not too muddy, just spray it on, leave it for 2 minutes, massage it a bit with either a paint brush or a dish washing brush, then rinse with a normal garden hose on low pressure. Not much effort, and we do this after every outing for the race bikes. If a bikes is kept clean, it's easier to clean, if you get my meaning.

If it's really muddy, rinse the big bits of mud off first with a garden hose on low pressure, helped by the dish washing brush, then follow the procedure in the paragraph above. After a really muddy race, we strip the bike completly, pull all the bearings out, hose them out with WD40 and regrease them. Leaving a bike sit after riding it in really wet muddy conditions is bad news for bearings.

Spotty

Likes Dirt
I also let my bike drip dry, due to the my colour you can see where cloth hs been

When im finished washing my bike, i like to hit all the bolt heads, stem, headset, brake mounts etc with the compressor, just to stop surface rust happening. :)

neil thompson

Likes Dirt
I use Muck Off
Hose your bike to get mud off spray the muck off on let sit a bit, spray a bit put more on greasy spot may be use a brush in bad place then wash off easy.
Brings the tyres up like new.
If you give it a wash every few rides take about 5mins and hardly any scrubbing.
Wipe it down with a rag to get water marks of.
Cheers Neil

Last edited:

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so many comments need to be made

1. why doesnt rotorburn have a like button

2. wouldnt want to drop it

3. clearly hasnt done squats or else he'd know to keep his back straight

4. I wonder what that does to the bearings, seals etc

5. thats an odd way to catch a fish

6. I wonder if corral will start growing on it

Richo 18

Likes Bikes and Dirt
so many comments need to be made

1. why doesnt rotorburn have a like button

2. wouldnt want to drop it

3. clearly hasnt done squats or else he'd know to keep his back straight

4. I wonder what that does to the bearings, seals etc

5. thats an odd way to catch a fish

6. I wonder if corral will start growing on it
A like button is needed for this post.

Sutek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wash your bike depending how much you love it.

Why you would need high pressure in the first place is beyond me. Probably been left too long covered in shit.
Warm water, ar wash, thick gentle sponge and hose off the rest.

BUT - Most importantly - dry and LUBE all moving parts.

Don't be a fool and think that so-called sealed bearings don't require cleaning etc.

We spend a fortune on these machines so treat them better than your partner.:p

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't be a fool and think that so-called sealed bearings don't require cleaning etc.
Maybe so but replacing bearings once a year costs $30 for a whole frame if you know where to buy from. Id much rather just do that then pull apart and grease bearings every so often.

You dont NEED high pressure, i use it because i then dont need to use a $20 a bottle commercial cleaner as well. All these people saying muc off and scrubbing and sponges and such. I can come home from a ride get the high pressure out give it a blast for 2 minutes and walk away with a bike that looks brand new. None of my bikes have ever been worse for wear because of using high pressure. Ive got other things id rather spend my time on then going over my bike with a toothbrush for 30 minutes to remove all muck.

..edit...You dont NEED high pressure, i use it because i then dont need to use a $20 a bottle commercial cleaner as well. ...edit...... Ive got other things id rather spend my time on then going over my bike with a toothbrush for 30 minutes to remove all muck.
Sounds sensible to me. Good for the wife, the kids and the environment.:)

RICOCHET

Likes Dirt
Maybe so but replacing bearings once a year costs $30 for a whole frame if you know where to buy from. Id much rather just do that then pull apart and grease bearings every so often.

You dont NEED high pressure, i use it because i then dont need to use a $20 a bottle commercial cleaner as well. All these people saying muc off and scrubbing and sponges and such. I can come home from a ride get the high pressure out give it a blast for 2 minutes and walk away with a bike that looks brand new. None of my bikes have ever been worse for wear because of using high pressure. Ive got other things id rather spend my time on then going over my bike with a toothbrush for 30 minutes to remove all muck.
Slow down your going to give yourself skin failure.

Some people like to spend a little more time and care on there bikes than you do. So chill, they guy just asked for advice.

My post ride routine consists of 5min wash 2 min dry 2 min degrease and lube. 9min out of my day to keep my bike in excellent working order. I spent a shit load on it so I take the extra care to keep it clean and running well, but thats just me.

dain2772

Likes Bikes and Dirt
rinse, spray on citrus degreaser (diluted approx 1:10 with water), left 5 minutes, spray off. rag and more citrus stuff for any fiddly bits.

engine degreaser if the cassette and chain are very bad, then citrus, then rinse fully clean and lube. always lube, people!!

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
CT 18 all the way, even works if you let it all dry out and cake up then applyi t 3-4 days later. cheap as hell too from super cheap auto.

and ulnlike mucc off it wontr damage the paint work if you forget about it.

mittagongmtb

Likes Dirt
CT 18 all the way, even works if you let it all dry out and cake up then applyi t 3-4 days later. cheap as hell too from super cheap auto.

and ulnlike mucc off it wontr damage the paint work if you forget about it.
mmm.. yes we have used CT18 as per others recommendations from this forum but there are some who reckon it fades paint and i remain a bit concerned as to what happens if it gets into bearings. Seems to me that water (and what goes with it) eventually ends up in a lot of mtb bearings (pedal, BB, hub, headset etc).

drivebytrucker

Likes Dirt
mmm.. yes we have used CT18 as per others recommendations from this forum but there are some who reckon it fades paint and i remain a bit concerned as to what happens if it gets into bearings. Seems to me that water (and what goes with it) eventually ends up in a lot of mtb bearings (pedal, BB, hub, headset etc).
i have been using ct18 for years and never had my paint fade on my bikes or my trucks. you are right about the bearings, but then again, if you think your gonna get through a few years on one bike without replacing bearings and bb's etc then your a bit nieve (not you personally mate that wasnt a dig) shit needs replacing every now and then but i can say i have had no adverse effects from ct18 as opposed to using "bike specific" cleaners.