Best XC lights going around at the right price

softek

Likes Dirt
Guys, looking for my 2nd set of lights and just wondering whats the best going around for a similar price to my 1st yet(AYUPS $300)

akashra

Eats Squid
Because the $220 has the sticker on it that says "if this power supply has a fault and causes your house to burn down it won't void your insurance claim", and the $77 one doesn't.

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Both powers supplies more than likely come from the same shitty factory. So just do as I do and charge in the garage. Would never recommend anyone charge them unattended in their house. Note, I purchased mine locally for $125, before the current reseller locked out the other resellers and doubled the price. Torpedo 7 has had them on sales $100 at times.

At $220 for the Nitelites (Magicshine), I would say the buy the Ay Ups at $253. Far more reliable. http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/64/

diskoe75

Likes Bikes
Both powers supplies more than likely come from the same shitty factory. So just do as I do and charge in the garage. Would never recommend anyone charge them unattended in their house. Note, I purchased mine locally for $125, before the current reseller locked out the other resellers and doubled the price. Torpedo 7 has had them on sales $100 at times.

At $220 for the Nitelites (Magicshine), I would say the buy the Ay Ups at $253. Far more reliable. http://www.ayup-lights.com/products/64/
I have to agree with you here. At only $33 in price difference you would be mad not to get the Ay Ups! At least you are gettin a proven, top quality light here. Not bagging the nitelights as i own some myself.......but since the price has sky-rocketed............they are no longer such good value in comparison.

KWICKS

Likes Dirt
A pair of them from DX is under $200 landed (including power adapter you will need to charge them - or you could just bend the pins...). Get one extension cord (for helmet) and the helmet mount and its ~$220. More than enough light for XC. Just used my pair in the 10 hour at Awaba and had them on for nearly 4 hours without issue. Ample brightness.

But -

One mate has fried one battery by over charging it and another had one fully charged stop after an hour, but this one is >12 months old.

It appears the lights are great, the battery pack is where they saved the $$$. Ask if your local hobby shop has a better alternative if yours packs it in.

rearviewmirror

Likes Dirt
Because the $220 has the sticker on it that says "if this power supply has a fault and causes your house to burn down it won't void your insurance claim", and the $77 one doesn't.

^ is that post for real?

I bought my first magic shine, I have to say for the dosh it's a nice light. I've raced at You Yangs with it at night, no worries at all. The battery is just a standard Lithium Ion battery, if you're skilled with a soldering iron you could even make your own packs. I don't think the MagicShine is cheap, it costs what a light should cost, it's that the others are way overpriced. An LED emitter is retail $3, a driver board is $5-6, 4x Lithium cells cost about $10-12. Add the aluminum housing, lens, and cabling and you're up to $20-30 in materials. How some companies charger $300+ for their lights is just ridiculous.

pi11wizard

Likes Dirt
^ is that post for real?

The battery is just a standard Lithium Ion battery, if you're skilled with a soldering iron you could even make your own packs.
If you aren't handy with a soldering iron (and lithium batteries tend to go kaboom if you get it wrong) then you could just buy a battery holder and some individual cells from DX and make your own packs. DX sell 18650 chargers as-well so it is a low cost way to get additional runtime.

Personally, I threw away the charger that came with the original DX magic shines and have a smart balance charger instead

Last edited:

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
would you say the output is better then AYUPS?
Maybe not quite as bright, but just as functional due to different beam width and possibly better reflector etc. I have ridden with a few guys that have Ay Ups and they hold their own. Ay Ups have a lower profile on the helmet.

Lots of MagicShine (NiteLights) lights starting to appear.

Anyone got the "Gloworm Lites"?

quiggs

Likes Dirt
Bang for Bucks

Have recently upgraded from Ay ups to HID Tech Quad's, speak to Daniel and get yourself a set of these babies, they are fricken amazing

Quiggs

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
I was in a similar situation a few months ago and looked at NiteLights, Deal Extreme etc. I already had a single set of Ay Ups and wanted a helmet light to supplement them.

Reading the forums, the battery issue made me too nervous and in the end felt I wanted something more reliable.

What did I get? Yes, another set of Ay Ups! But perhaps the important thing to remember when upgrading from an existing set is that you don't need to buy another full set as you've already got most of the bits you need including the charger. For just over $200 I got a set of lights and a 6 hour battery.