Best XC trails?

Megahead

Likes Bikes
I rode Ourimbah today (only the 2nd time I've ridden there after being based in Melbourne for the last 10 years) and had a blast! That place rocks. Would have to be the best trail that I've ridden. Got me thinking though - what's the best XC trail in Oz? If there's something better than Ourimbah out there I want to put away some time to ride it!

Would be interested in others opinions.........

Win

Likes Dirt
I have ridden Ourimbah, Newcastle aswell, very good tracks
If you are up in SEQ check out;
Parklands
Nerang
If you are still in Vic;
Forrest,
Wombat
Castlemaine
Bendigo

fergo

Likes Dirt
Dry Diggings trail from Hepburn Springs to Vaughan Springs. Great single track and not affected by the weather.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
All in NSW

Awaba.

The variety of environments (ecosystems may be better terminology) that the trail passes through ... the high level of construction with close attention to sustainability, the level of funding the club has been able to obtain to build infrastructure (eg bridges), the awesome terrain, the sheer potential for the place for even more awesome stuff ... and best of all the FLOW of the place ... sooo much fun I wish I could corner better ... big up to the hunter club and all the builders.

Rimbah and Appin are up there ...

Menai is good if you have a guide or know the place ... I've been shown a pretty awesome big ring mashing tech fest of a loop which I highly recommend ... if I could ever find it on my own (Ben ... draw me a map Dood !!!)

I'm yet to try Glenrock ... but thats next on my to do list ... sometime soon

*edit ... I forgot Pine Creek ... again with a guide ... but frigg'n fun I was totally shattered but Cows with Guns has to be up there for most fun Sniggle with awaba ... with some track work it would be awesome (note: I'm sure there has been some fairy action since I was there).

Last edited:

akashra

Eats Squid
My vote goes to the trails at Bright. There's something to be said of the experience of riding over bedrock pebbles.

darrenjm1

Likes Bikes
Best trails in australia would have to be the trail network around adelaide. I live and ride in sydney and have riden ourimba many times but nothing comes close to the trails around adelaide. You kinda need a local to show you around though. Canberra is also good

Lorday

Eats Squid
Sparrow hill and Wisemans Ferry for me please.
My local trail network is coming along nicely but its no place for a SS.

spudatm

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In Order

Bermagui
Maullbrooks
Mt Stromlo
Sparrow Hill
Awaba
Kirwark
Telegraph Point
Lisdale State Forrest
Pine Creek
Appin
Ourimbah

I have a feeling Mt Annan will make this list once opened

Lorday your local trails coming along well do share ill do you a swap

tim_d

Likes Dirt
In Order

Bermagui
Maullbrooks
Mt Stromlo
Sparrow Hill
Awaba
Kirwark
Telegraph Point
Lisdale State Forrest
Pine Creek
Appin
Ourimbah

I have a feeling Mt Annan will make this list once opened

Lorday your local trails coming along well do share ill do you a swap
Bermagui is first? Wow. They only have the one 6.5km loop at the moment, but more are meant to be going in. I live 30kms away from Bermi :p

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
Are we talking XC race type circuits of just general XC type trails?

If it's general riding throw Mt York into the mix

mella060

Likes Dirt
Although i have never ridden at these places, alot of people tend to say that...

Melrose / SA
Forrest / VIC

offer some of the best XC trails in Australia.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Woodend - great bush single track, good variety.
You Yangs - some evil descents and climbs, mtb specific single track
Forrest - the most beautiful place to ride

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You Yangs...

Just so many tracks, all with completely different characters and difficulties all mixed into the one area... and you get the feeling that every single meter of the place was thought out rather than just being an accident... hence no boring bits.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you are ever in North Queensland, bring your bike!!

Townsville has some awesome trails. Rocky and technical.
Cairns is different, but just as good. Rainforest type trails.

I recently rode Ourimbah while south for Dirtworks, and it is certainly an awesome trail.