better bike

sut

Squid
Which do you think is better a Ironhorse sgs team, or a Rocky Mountain rm7, both have pretty big front sus but different rear set ups

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A little birdy told me thats the sgs rides extremely well, however im not sure about the rocky mountain.

S.

ex offender
Rocky Mountain = blown shocks. Having a 4:1 ratio on a big-hit bike is terrible.... not to mention the intelligence of their swingarm and linkage.

sut

Squid
yeah I like the ironhorse they are advertising the team for $3299 but i might go for the pro, $2100 and put the rest towards a car it has the same rear sus but boxers up the front still seems like a good bike though

S.

ex offender
Where exactly is this advertisement? Ya sure it's not in American currency, cos that sounds pretty cheap...

sut

Squid
yeah it is in an American ad, but it still only works out to be around $3500 for the pro, which isn't bad, 5th element rear, boxers front and XT/LX gear

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Iron horse by a mile. As socket said, the RM rear suspension design is basicly up tha shit. The leverage ratio is too high and the loading on the pivots is enormous.

Ryan

Radministrator
Check out www.ironhorsebikes.com Mason, Iron Horse have employed Dave Weagle, the engineer behind Evil/E.13 (which any good canadian should know about) to design the suspension on the higher end bikes this year and by all accounts they ride like a dream. The bikes are, according to some message boards, getting pretty hard to pick up in the U.S. now, suggesting that the first production run for the year is almost sold out over there which should be some indication of how popular / good the bikes are.
Word also has it that Rocky Mountain are planning to phase out the RM series some time in the next 12 months, for the reasons stated above and because the swingarms break, a lot. Wade Simmons and the rest of the RM freeriders are apparantley going to have a lot of input into its' replacement, so the new bike should be something pretty special.
For now I say go with the Iron Horse, they're bikes are an awesome deal for the price and they're not messing around with their push to be a serious DH bike manufacturer.

fastrider gus

super huck
my mate has an '02 RM7 Fr and it rules.. the rear suspension feels wicked! the ironhorse is good too.. but its just another fsr linkage.. the rm does have a problem with the linkage knocking but if keep them nice and tight there is no problem.. think of how many riders use the RM's.. they are strong as sh!t and you will impress anyone at the races.
but the ironhorse is still sweet..

Ty

Eats Squid
i've heard all the "pro free riders" go through swingarms and bushings on those things like they are going out of fashion (which they are) the think of the swingarm like a long lever then look how narrow the pivot is compared to other simple swing arm bikes like the 222 or even a cannondale gemini, it's just too lard a load over such a small area, then the whole massive shock ratio, sloppy linkages problems.
i'd say don't think of the SGS serise as another FSR, think of it like a cheaper M1.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey sut, you haven't even made you decision yet(assuming you are gonna buy one of these bikes) and RockyMountain is already making your spare swingarm....... :wink:

stinkybastard

Likes Bikes
Cyclological on the Gold coast has a 2002 sgs team ( i think ) on sale at the momment. Word from them was Iron horse had decided not to import much of their high end mtb stuff to australia. Might be because thay are selling lots in the US, or they may be they are being short sighted in what they could sell in the oz market. Supergo has great prices on Iron horse bikes but the shipping cost is around $500 US for a DH bike.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
i dunno much about bikes but i reckon tha ironhorse looks maD!! the colors are cool - and that price seems reasonably cheap

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
ironhorse stomps all over the rocky, 10x better bike! Don't take my word for it try and take both for a test ride, make up your own mind!

Tom

Likes Bikes
The whole backend of the bike looks pretty small for a Downhiller. The rear dropout looks like it would snap off the seatstay. The spec looks really good, but the frame looks like it was put together from all the leftover bits at the end of the week :?

S.

ex offender
Tom said:
The whole backend of the bike looks pretty small for a Downhiller. The rear dropout looks like it would snap off the seatstay. The spec looks really good, but the frame looks like it was put together from all the leftover bits at the end of the week :?
Of which bike?

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Socket said:
Tom said:
Of which bike?
[hint]the RM doesn't have a seatstays[/hint]

Not too sure what he's on about though, looks solid enough to me, maybe he was looking at the 02 models that are still shown on the IH site. :?