better skills. roadie or MTB?

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
u gotta admit, the streamlined time-trials helmets look pretty cool! The US Postal team has cool darkblue giro's

Simo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
u gotta admit, the streamlined time-trials helmets look pretty cool! The US Postal team has cool darkblue giro's

MrPlow

TMBC
Each to their own, I ride both.
Somebody's post got deleted, cause it was nasty so this don't make sense anymore. :?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
fastrider gus said:
roadies=no skill, all fitness..
Wow. Good response. We should send you over for the Tour de France for the downhill segments before all the other countries figure out the secret! You'll win every stage!

fastrider gus

super huck
no im serious!
i dont see why roadies get so much exposure and MTB riders are left in the dark..
road riding isnt impressive. would you rather see a road dude riding beside a car for half an hour or a dude blasting down a technical DH run littered with gap jumps and north shore!!
i have to admit though, it is amazing just how fit those guys are.. but nothing more..

wombat

Lives in a hole
Why do they get more exposure? Well how long as mtb been around for? what 30 years tops? How long as road racing been around for, well this is the 100th year of the tour alone, so you do the math.
I'll agree, road racing isn't as biased towards bike handling as downhill etc. is, but there is a lot more to skills than simply being able to "huck" a 30 foot gap or hit a rock garden flat out.
You're also talking down the fitness of mtbers, check who scored the highest output on the power bike at the AIS....hint: it wasn't a roadie.

While it's not fair that mountainbiking doesnt get the coverage it might deserve, we're not the only ones being hardly done by. One of our customers is a little red-head bloke by the name of Darryl, who happens to be the current karting world champ, and one of the greatest drivers of all time. You ever seen him on TV?

Techno Destructo

Riding In Peace
Ok Gus. Now you're just embarassing yourself.

Trying thinking a bit about this. Road bike racing has been around since since the 1800's. Organised mountain bike racing has been around for less than 30. Heck, mountain bikes were really only discovered by the mass media and public 10-15 years after Gary Fisher and the boys started with their klunkers back in Marin County. It takes time for a sport to get established, and therefore get the prized dollars that are needed from sponsors and the attention of major networks.

Yeah, I'd rather see a MTB race on TV than a road bike race, but such is life. It's slowly changing...

But for the skill comments?!? Gus, I saw the video of that gap you did. It was awesome! You have skill. But you have NO clue about road bike racing. Have you even been on a road bike? I mean a high-performance race one?

Don't make dumb, uninformed comments until you do some research. People will respect you a lot more for it.

MrPlow

TMBC
Try racing road gus, you should at least respect them for what they do :roll:
And have you ever noticed the people with the money follow the more prestigious sports (F1, roading etc) so of course TV will follow them, thats where the money is. Give it time and DH/FR will get more time. DH/FR is also a bit harder to capture, (like rally), so isn't the best spectator sport.

MrPlow

TMBC
Latest Tour De France news. did you see those guys decending!? No Skill, yeh right!

Once guy broke his leg and elbow and wrist when he fell, fark that!!

Rik

logged out
who has the best skills? Track riders! :lol: just to add confusion...

For anyone that wants to be close minded and diss roadies, jump in a bunch sprint, throw in some agro riding (hooks/elbows) and then rethink your opinion.
Look at Cooke and McEwen, how they stayed up even though someone leant/crashed into them in the sprint, that's skill :shock:

for you to say roadies have no skill is like me saying mtb'ers have no fitness. both are idiotic statements.

fastrider gus

super huck
hey guys..
the forum asked who has better skills.. i posted my opinion, dont have a go at me because i said what i thought, and if you are, dont ask the freaking question..
i could say what i REALY thought.. that road riders are a bunch of queers..."oooh!! there's gravel on the track!!! AAAH!!!"
damn pansy's..

S.

ex offender
fastrider gus said:
oooh!! there's gravel on the track!!! AAAH!!!"
damn pansy's..
I bet you'd be complaining if you found a WC DH course with a tarmac section ;)

Ghost

Likes Dirt
lupine128 said:
well, i almost got into a fistfight with this roadie today when i mentioned that although pro roadies probably took the prize for best fitness among bike riders, downhill/4X had the better skills.
what do you think.
That sounds about right, though I have met some Cross Country dudes who are scary fit.

lupine128

Likes Bikes and Dirt
it seems strange how little the two groups mix really.
when i was racing moto's i had a supermono i rode/raced for road, and a YZ i raced MX, and there where a bunch of us who did both.
with MTB's it seems you ride DH or XC, or trials, not all of them, and you either race road OR MTB.
with moto's it's uncommon to find a WR rider who calls a GSX-R owner a faggot, or vice-versa.
considering how small our rider base is maybe we should be trying to get roadies to have a go, and convert them, instead of calling them names.
(and yes i know how weird it is for me to be saying this after starting the whole thing, but that guy really just pissed me off :) )

Rik

logged out
I've had a go at trials, road, mtb, bmx and track riding/racing, so I must be an exception 8) But then again, I'm a bit of a tosser for boasting about that :p
As for the groups not mixing, it's pathetic how some riders have terrible attitudes towards other types of riders. In the end, we're a very small minority group, we really should stick together for the one cause, being elitist wankers never helps.

ronning

Likes Bikes
AT the elite level sure Dh's have more skill but dont write off the roadies.Did you guys see lance Armstrongs off road adventure in Le Tour today...that was skill and if he decided to race cross country Mtb hed smoke everybody.You can also ride downhill faster when your fresh and not fucked from riding kay after kay! Most people think roadies are unco coz of the 50 year olds they nearly clean up on the road everyday but 90% of 50 year olds are also orinary on Mtbs my old man is a prime example!!J bear.