Bib short recommendation

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

Im starting to get over using normal knicks, and could use a spare pair anyway, so i figured now would be the time to move up to a full bib short.

Seems to be loads of brands around the place, and a lot of price difference. I know you generally get what you pay for and im more than happy to spend a bit more coin for a 8 or 10 panel pair that are really comfortable and last for a while.

Also I've seen some brands having summer and winter versions? I'm assuming the winter is a thicker material or something like that? Anyway I'm mainly after brand recommendations on what people like or don't like. So far I've been looking at Cannondale ones like these http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C0034 as well as other misc european more roadie looking brands - http://www.competitivecyclist.com/m...dana-silverline-bib-shorts-1900_483_TRUE.html

Lastly I've noticed sizing can be a bit fun with these. Mainly because waist and height are a factor, and pretty much no sizing of any brands fits what I'd call ideal for me 34 waist, 190cm :( Most 34-35 waist are 180cmish, dont know how they fit would be.

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
Sugoi Knicks.

Ive been using them for many years, they are reasonably priced, fantastic chamois, very breathable, great with water, dry quickly and fit my 199cm frame, size 32 waist!

Expect to pay about $160 for the Sugoi Evolution.

I run the next model up currently, the RS Bib, which is more of the same, but better again! Easily the best I have used in the past few years.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I asked almost exactly the same question last year.

http://www.farkin.net/forums/showthread.php?t=115122

I'm now a complete convert to bib knicks. I love 'em! Don't know what it is about them, but I just find them a whole lot more comfortable.

Only 1 pair has made it to the collection thus far (NZo Deanos), they are that good that I pretty much just save them for race day now, and the bigger rides. I'll be buying a couple more pairs shortly methinks.

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies guys. I think I remember that old thread but couldn't seem to find it.

Have got some NZO gear before and its been good, didn't realise they made bibs. And hadn't heard of Sugoi - will definitely check it out.

Thanks guys.

leftieant

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The NZo bibs are great, they're designed to be road knicks but I have had no issues on the MTB. The only gripe is that there are a couple of reflective decals on them (small) that started to peel. I just peeled them off.

bazza

look at me
Giordana....

great quality and good value for money...knicks or bib n brace...both are great...
2nd that, I use both the Silverline and Tenax carbon (same chamios much flasher material) knicks. however I do see an issue with the height. I am around 175cm and wear a medium (32inch waist), so I would say that a large for someone your height should be fine. The Silverline bib should be around $120-$150 and the Tenax carbon around $200-250. I use both the old style of Silverline and the newer and if you can get your hands on the newer style its much nicer, better leg gripper and a backpocket as well. The quality on the Giordana's rules and the price is pretty bloody good!

edit: the Tenax is called the Laser on that website.

Last edited:

tu plang

knob
I have some reasonably expensive $250+ Descente (aero-x i think) and Pearl Izumi bibs and while both are good in their own right, i prefer the the Descentes, definitely the comfiest i've worn.

Spending up on a good pair is definitely worth it, for half the money you definitely get half the performance in my experience. Fit is also important, go for the tighter of the two in terms of waist and leg fit, loose knicks will be uncomfortable regardless of how good they are. You dont want the legs sliding up or the chamois moving around however it likes, the idea is that its a single layer all stuck in place (thats why bibs are so much more comfortable, keeps the backside in position a lot better.) I don't think height is toooo much of a concern, they are reasonably flexible in that regard - focus on the arse end fit.

akashra

Eats Squid
I'm very happy with the *newest* generation Ventou bib knicks, I'm not happy with the 2XU Elite knicks at all, don't like the cut and shape of the chamois (it's too short (or wide, pick one) at the front. The older Ventou chamois are okay, but not great, and they don't last a terrible amount of time (my sponsor ones I got in November are starting to wear pretty thin).

If the Cannibal bib knicks are anything like the '07 regular ones then I can imagine I'd be pretty happy with them, but since getting used to wearing bibs wearing anything that's not a bib feels like wearing a nappy.

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
I use these cheaper Cannondale bib knicks

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C6082

mainly because, well they fit well, are comfortable and the thought of paying > $80 for knicks causes wallet paralysis :)

I prefer the back style of thos Cannondale, rather then the type where the straps fall off my shoulders. See the other referenced thread on Bib Knicks for more info

I have two pair.