Bicep Femoris tendinitis

Boreit

Likes Dirt
have had it for a while, googled it to death & read all the forum posts here there & elsewhere. am keen to hear from those who have had similar issues & made it out the other end... how did you get there & what worked well for you? am doing all the things the physio has told me to do & then some. cheers

Norco Maniac

Is back!
you are talking hamstring issues, yes?

have you done passive stretches, taken magnesium, good oils, and de-acidified your diet?

Boreit

Likes Dirt
you are talking hamstring issues, yes?

have you done passive stretches, taken magnesium, good oils, and de-acidified your diet?
stretches- big yep, mag - yep long time, good oils - yep, de-acid - i try..... actually finding calcium flouride seems to be working a treat..... trying to build on core strength, swimming, dabbled in ultrasound, getting back on the bike slowly..... what are others finding works long term?

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
did you have a rest period. how long? that's off the bike, totally not riding at all...

Norco Maniac

Is back!
stretches- big yep, mag - yep long time, good oils - yep, de-acid - i try..... actually finding calcium flouride seems to be working a treat..... trying to build on core strength, swimming, dabbled in ultrasound, getting back on the bike slowly..... what are others finding works long term?
i teach my clients a range of passive stretches, i find they work a good deal better than the more dynamic ones. tissue salts may be the way forward for you tho..... do you have massage at all? another thing that's helped me when i've had imbalances is kinesiology.

do you also stretch your quads? remember they are the other side of the lever, agonist/antagonist.

Boreit

Likes Dirt
did you have a rest period. how long? that's off the bike, totally not riding at all...
pretty much 6 weeks up to last week... since the worlds, thats how long it took for the head of fibula not to be sore to touch, give it some more time do you think or right to resume controlled riding?

i teach my clients a range of passive stretches, i find they work a good deal better than the more dynamic ones. tissue salts may be the way forward for you tho..... do you have massage at all? another thing that's helped me when i've had imbalances is kinesiology.

do you also stretch your quads? remember they are the other side of the lever, agonist/antagonist.
the stretching has been key passive yes, it may be that there was an underlying imbalance as my quads are very flexible - among other issues i have flat feet & a desk job. massage has helped particularly with the flat feet mobilisation & moving to orthotics.. am getting orthotics for my riding shoes also. this wasnt initially recommended by physio but to me it makes more sense to have them in those shoes also..... maybe a mind thing?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
the stretching has been key passive yes, it may be that there was an underlying imbalance as my quads are very flexible - among other issues i have flat feet & a desk job. massage has helped particularly with the flat feet mobilisation & moving to orthotics.. am getting orthotics for my riding shoes also. this wasnt initially recommended by physio but to me it makes more sense to have them in those shoes also..... maybe a mind thing?
the desk job will contribute to the shortening of the hamstrings, for sure. do you have an ergonomic adjustable desk chair?

ok, do you know a good stretch for the psoas group? they are your internal hip flexors and are the key to good posture. also look at whether your shoulders are straight, held wide, as excessive curve in the upper back can cause hamstring issues.

flat feet are a major issue as they will cause knock-on problems with your knees. i use orthotics myself for the common Morton's Foot syndrome and i find if i also use them in my cleat shoes when racing, my knees track straighter and i get a little more power pedalling.

think of it like having the front end of your car out of alignment, the tyres will scrub...

i'm a remedial therapist myself, with a lot of my work focussing on balancing the body.

Boreit

Likes Dirt
the desk job will contribute to the shortening of the hamstrings, for sure. do you have an ergonomic adjustable desk chair?
yeh i was thinkn of getting one of those big balls to sit on periodically at work, must get around to doing that...

ok, do you know a good stretch for the psoas group? they are your internal hip flexors and are the key to good posture. also look at whether your shoulders are straight, held wide, as excessive curve in the upper back can cause hamstring issues.
have one of those stretch band thingy's that i use for all sorts of stretches incl hip flexor... needless to say i only started doing all these stretches after i incurred the injury :(

am going to check out this kinesiology, there is a lady that practices locally thanks

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Might sound obvious but what about your bike setup? Maybe your position is not ideal for you?

I used to have a range of pains and aches especially when I increased volume and intensity on the bike. The best thing I did was learn about guys like Gray Cook, Mike Boyle, Eric Cressey etc. I use a program by James Wilson http://www.bikejames.com/ specifically his DB combo program. It incorporates the philosophy of the previous mentioned guru's applied to MTB riders.
I also do yoga and pilates which helps alot. Stretching on your own at home is no fun but its an important thing to do along with foam rolling and mobility work!

good luck!

Boreit

Likes Dirt
Might sound obvious but what about your bike setup? Maybe your position is not ideal for you?

good luck!
the bike setup was flawed leading up to the initial injury... we have that sorted now:D
pretty much everything was not how it should of been, had a poor bike setup ( seat too high/ cleat pos too far forward ), biomechanical issues with flat feet/ ham & sciatic nerve tight & was riding HEAPS more than ever before - presto. shit of a way too learn...

that link looks the goods thanks mate

quiggs

Likes Dirt
yeh i was thinkn of getting one of those big balls to sit on periodically at work, must get around to doing that...
Don't get an exercise ball to sit on at work, I treat alot of office professionals with chronic back issues and many come to me and suggest that exact same point. I think I might get a fitball to sit on at work! My response is, most people cannot sit on them with correct posture for 5 minutes and you want to sit on it for 7-8 hrs per day!! and you think you slouch now in from to of the computer a fitball is only going to encourage you to promote crappy posture and lead to further increases in pain.

In relation to your tendinopathy, hamstrings are one of the more complicated muscles to treat for a number of reasons. The major factors being its a multi joint muscle (i.e. crosses 2 joints, hip and knee) secondly it is continually asked to contract and stretch at the same time! this last point being the most fundemental aspect in the development in injury and making it frustrating to rehab from.

Patience is the most important aspect, eliminating deficiencies individually to determine what aspect they are in the development of the injury. Lastly making sure you stick to an agreed tretment plan btw you and treating therapist. Sometimes jumping from one therapist to another will lead to conflicting ideals to treatment and lead you to become confused and bewildered as to which path to take.

quiggs

Boreit

Likes Dirt
Don't get an exercise ball to sit on at work, I treat alot of office professionals with chronic back issues and many come to me and suggest that exact same point. I think I might get a fitball to sit on at work! My response is, most people cannot sit on them with correct posture for 5 minutes and you want to sit on it for 7-8 hrs per day!! and you think you slouch now in from to of the computer a fitball is only going to encourage you to promote crappy posture and lead to further increases in pain.

In relation to your tendinopathy, hamstrings are one of the more complicated muscles to treat for a number of reasons. The major factors being its a multi joint muscle (i.e. crosses 2 joints, hip and knee) secondly it is continually asked to contract and stretch at the same time! this last point being the most fundemental aspect in the development in injury and making it frustrating to rehab from.

Patience is the most important aspect, eliminating deficiencies individually to determine what aspect they are in the development of the injury. Lastly making sure you stick to an agreed tretment plan btw you and treating therapist. Sometimes jumping from one therapist to another will lead to conflicting ideals to treatment and lead you to become confused and bewildered as to which path to take.

quiggs
thanks mate, has anyone out there actually had this type tendonitis? was particularly interested in what others had learnt from their experience with it.....

quiggs

Likes Dirt
No worries, I have had a girlfriend, who we believe Bicep Femoris tendinopathy as an original injury and due to not being diagnosed correctly and continuing to exercise (disclaimer here at the time she was a national champion distance walker). Further developd into a cyst and has since had to give up competitive walking. Leading onto several surgeries to drain and remove the cyst and finally repair the injury. her having to give up athletics was in part to the fact of having irrepearable cartilage damage in both knee and from that horrible sport called race walking.

She is an extreme case though

Craftworks

Craftworks
My last work trip away (one month long) I was desk bound for 80 hours a week, combining that with only packing one pair of casual shoes that fitted me really badly, left me with a similar issue..

I tried resting it for a while, started polities, stretching etc... Nothing changed..
The missing link for me was my pelvis was way out of wack - causing to put even more tension through one of my hamstrings.. This is very common issues with cyclist due to the restricted motion of pedalling.

Until this problem I never experienced any issues from riding a bike. Being forced off the bike I became super interested on how the body interacts with the bike and how cycling related restrictions can be created – and how to fix them..

I approached some of Adelaide’s best physiotherapist to investigate how we could create a new initiative to combine the understanding of the mechanics of bike and body.. About a year ago we started to pilot a physiotherapy assisted bike fit. With the strong positive feedback from all our clients we formed B Fit 2 Ride – www.bfit2ride.com.au Since then we have enabled a huge improvement to all types or riders with all types of conditions..

Hope this insight helps

cwlogo.jpgKG