Bidon or Backpack?

Which one?

• Total voters

LordNikon

Uber Geek
So which way to go?

Hydration is one of those things you can't avoid while riding and the fitter I seem to get the more I seem sweat, which means I gotta drink even more. :shock:

Personally I like having plenty of luggage space to carry things while out riding the trails. But I did the recent 8 hour endurance race with bottles and a seat bag and really enjoyed the lack of sweaty back.

What do you guys think?

LTR

Annoys the hell out of Grip!
neither.... isnt there another option??

anyway... who needs water?? :p

wombat

Lives in a hole
Wow, now that we've had our quota of stupidity...

I used to be a bottle man but I finally made the switch to a pack the other week; a MULE (on the advice of this board) and I'm never going back. The most I've carried in it is 2.5L plus tools and tubes and with it nicely tied down I don't even notice it. Water storage is HEAPS better than bottles, and it's great to be able to carry the camera/tools/spares without a seatpack making my bike any more rattly that it already is.

Probably the best thing I've invested in in a while; I whole heartedly say pack.

Rik

logged out
Ummm... bidon in a backpack :lol:
My bladder died, my frame doesn't have room for a full size bottle, so 2 + 2 = 3 :oops:

CHEWY

Eats Squid
Rik said:
Ummm... bidon in a backpack :lol:
hahahaha... thats actually what I do! My frame doesnt have bidon cage bolt holes and I dont own a camelback so I have to make do.
I am buying a hydration pack soon tho, actually, a small backpack with a bladder in it...

Velophile

Likes Dirt
I went to a hydropack when I got my first FS bike, no room for bidon cage/s. Prior to that I'd always used bottles. Now I won't ride without it. I even used it touring & on my road bike. I still use a bidon for energy drinks as I don't put anything other than water in the bladder. The bladder gets enough pond scum in it with only water.

If l am going out for a couple of hours l take a drink bottle and chuck a muesli bar or two in my jersey pocket. But if l'm going out for for anymore than three hours then it's the backpack. At least that way you can carry a camera, extra parts and tools, food and heaps more H2o.

SPyX

Likes Dirt
I wouldn't vote either side, but if I could afford something other than I got - just a south face backpack (small), then I would buy something better..

But I cope with a backpack - sure I get a sweaty back, but thats going to happen whatever you have!

I wanted a camelback, but for me, it is too much, so I'm gunna buy a bladder and shove it in my backpack, so it'll serve as a CB.

A backpack is useful when you need to put something in it, like some part thats come off or, maybe a drink or food or something as a one-off whilst riding..

So I guess backpack gets the vote for me, but depends what you do!

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
i have a mule and i love it.. although i still have a bideon on my frame for sport drinks...

ellemenophee

Likes Bikes
I also have a old Mule camelback.
It is the best way to ride. It is hell crusty from sweat.
Although i have heard some people clean them with dried packets of rice, i go with the piece of cloth tied to some string & pull it thru- just to stop the algae build up in the tube. That algae will make you hella sick Velophile.

DEVLIN

Likes Dirt
bidon for racing and anything shorter than 2 hours. planned epics always the balckburn hydropak (i think that is what it is called)

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both! Generally I use my Pak for MTB and the Biddon for road miles (normally getting to the trail head), the bottle is almost always filled with some kinda energy drink, Poweraide usually 8)

Mommers

Likes Dirt
sorry to hijack, but can someone tell me if its normall to have a slight mould in your bladder, and how do you clean it??

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fill it with watter and then some Bi-Carb soda, say 2 or 3 tb spoons. shake it up, then let it settle.

Another alturnitive is Water and a heap of rice thrown in, then shake the hell outa it :p

Rinse the bladder out afterwoods, the watter will taste shit for a bit, but heyy it's watter :p

SPyX

Likes Dirt
Which would probably be more benefitial, getting a camelbak or just the bladder - and put it in my backpack?

Velophile

Likes Dirt
ellemenophee said:
I also have a old Mule camelback.
It is the best way to ride. It is hell crusty from sweat.
Although i have heard some people clean them with dried packets of rice, i go with the piece of cloth tied to some string & pull it thru- just to stop the algae build up in the tube. That algae will make you hella sick Velophile.
Yeah, the pond scum isn't too good.
I think you can buy a cleaning kit for CB bladders. They have a tube cleaning brush & "thing" for holding open the bladder so it dries.
The pack straps are slowly turning white with salty crust, gotta wash it!

Rik

logged out
If you wanna clean your pack, you can also use dissolvable tablets that are meant for cleaning babies bottles. Dry it by using a bent coathanger to fit inside.
Don't clean yours with chlorine, unless you like drinking pool water... the taste never washes out.

schmook

Likes Dirt
I just bought a mule a few weeks ago. I think i've got a crush on the shop boy. He has a interesting french accent and I like he pronounces "slalom".
apart from that the mule is cool.
and my recommendation for water bladders is to go to joynt venture or some other shop that sells "paraphenalia" and buy some bong wash! Its works beautifully in bladders. If theres a bit of scum that is hard to remove fromt he sides, put a little (uncooked) rice in and rub it about.