Bidon or Backpack?

Which one?

• Total voters

hippy

Likes Bikes
My Camelbak is awesome! Heaps better than a bidon covered in mud that you don't even try and drink from because you are too busy trying not to stack!
The Camelbak means you don't really have to think about slowing and drinking. It means you stay hydrated. Your water doesn't heat up, you don't lose the bottle over bumps, you can carry phone and tools and tubes in the backpack section.
The only time I didn't use the camelbak was at the HDATO where I found the laps were short enough and the breaks long enough (we had 6 person team) that I could rehydrate between laps, rather than during laps.

hippy

SPyX

Likes Dirt
Yeah I don't think a bidon would be easy to get to with our kind of riding - unless you have stopped!

Camelbak is on my shopping list :)

dickyknee

Likes Dirt
back pack for all rides as it has water and tools in it , but will be using bottle on new bike for those short rides as it is a pain to fill a bladder just to ride for a hour or so , will still take pack for tools/keys and stuff.

protecon

Likes Dirt
The MEC has some well-priced options.
I'm getting a 2L long Platypus bladder to fit in the front section of my Deuter Superbike S with plenty of room to spare for tools/pump/tubes.
Not really something you would use for racing, more much ideal for trails/XC.

hazman

Likes Bikes
I just purchased one of the new source hydration packs, this is my first go with packs and i can isay it works great, it is the spinner 2 model and was a great price ($89), its very comfortable to wear, but a little mopre storage would be nice…

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Rik said:
If you wanna clean your pack, you can also use dissolvable tablets that are meant for cleaning babies bottles. Dry it by using a bent coathanger to fit inside.
Don't clean yours with chlorine, unless you like drinking pool water... the taste never washes out.
Yep, the things are called Milton Antibacterial Tablets..... they work very well :D

My kids and I have 3 hydration packs between us and we regularly put cordial or powerade in them, you just have to rinse them out well.

If you forget to rinse them and they go mouldy, or just to freshen them up, just give them a soak with the Milton tablets..... they can't be too bad for you, people soak babies bottles in them all the time and it tells you not to rinse the stuff out of them!!! but we rinse the bladders as they have no need to be sterile.

Back to the question.... I usually carry a bidon and a back pack, the kids cant carry bottle on their frames, so they just go the pack.

I only ever drink out of the bottle when I'm stopped, or on downhill sections on my roadie so I can't see it would be much good in a XC race, not that I have ever done one....... yet :wink: