big hit frames

matt462

Likes Dirt
are the big hit frames comp/pro/dh all the same just with different linkages? If so can you buy the different linkages and change the setup depending on what your riding?

S.

ex offender
They're not all the same; I know at least the Comp is different from the other three... but I think the pro and DH are the same. I think you can indeed buy linkages to up the travel on the Comp.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2001 and 2002 Big Hit frames are all the same
Except the 02 Big Hit DH has an 8" linkage
which is a linkage plate and a loger stroke rear shock
All 01 and 02 frames are upgradable to 8" using this DH linkage plate and DH shock
i think RRP is about $1200 (if i remeber correctly)
The 2003 Big Hit Comp is the same as the frames above and you can upgrade it to 8" using the linkage kit for the 02 Big Hit DH, This linkage plates has 2 setting 8" and 7"

The 2003 Big Hit Expert, Pro, DH are all the same frame they have 8" of travel, BUT YOU CANT USE THEIR LINKAGE ON THE MODELS MENTIONED ABOVE
this linkage is slightly different.
The linkage on these models has 2 travel setting 8" and 6"

I hope that made it clearer i hope :?
which frame have you got and what do you want to do with it?

matt462

Likes Dirt
I was thinking of getting a craftworks frm125 but i've just been told after waiting 2 months that it will probably be another 3 months. So thats off the cards. I'm just trying to get some info on a few other bikes. I like the santa cruz bullit but don't think i can afford one. I'm after a bike to dh/fr but that i can still get out on the trails every now and then. AMB did a review on one of the lower end big hits and it sounded something like what i'm after. Can you tell me how much they weigh?

Ivan

Eats Squid
the frames are not the same.....the expert,pro and dh have a stronger pivot on the frame and the big link for the 8.1" travel. the comp is weaker with a samller link.... even if you get the bigger link the frame will not be as strong.

Just bought a brand new DH frame from my LBS for $1500.....thats dirt cheap

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
matt462 said:
I was thinking of getting a craftworks frm125 but i've just been told after waiting 2 months that it will probably be another 3 months. So thats off the cards. I'm just trying to get some info on a few other bikes. I like the santa cruz bullit but don't think i can afford one. I'm after a bike to dh/fr but that i can still get out on the trails every now and then. AMB did a review on one of the lower end big hits and it sounded something like what i'm after. Can you tell me how much they weigh?
it depends on obviously how you built it up
my bike (see pic in signature) is just over 20kg
but you can definately cut that down by 2kg at least

if you want it to do some trail riding, id leave the 6" linkage on there

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ivan said:
the frames are not the same.....the expert,pro and dh have a stronger pivot on the frame and the big link for the 8.1" travel. the comp is weaker with a samller link.... even if you get the bigger link the frame will not be as strong.

Just bought a brand new DH frame from my LBS for $1500.....thats dirt cheap
the difference between these pivots isnt exactly its weak point
i havent heard of any one having trouble with that pivot

i think its more that on the new frames you can have the 2 travel setting ie 6" and 8" plus you can change the headangle
while the 02 DH frame only has a travel adjustment

Turley

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, No DH bike is going to be a great trail bike for the exact reason it is a DH bike. Now that asside, last weekend I went XC riding with the NRG club boys on saturday and I was realy suprised at how well my Big hit pro went. Everything was left in the slackest/most travel setting and I was keeping up with the back of the pack without too much hastle. Sure I was stuffed by the end of the day but shoudlnt' you after a day of riding!? If you want something that you can ride up hills as well as down, my recommendation would be to look at a proper trail bike such as a SC heckler, a Norco fluid or the like. My big hit is great but it is a DH bike.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
just that youre missing the 24" rear :)

yeh when i was buying my bike it was either it or a norco shore

i think looking at them side by side the big hit has a lower cg
but yeh its very similar front trangle, both are FSR linkages