big mountain riding in AUS

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
is there any real reason why this hasnt been held again cause it sure looked good to watch and pretty unreal to ride
There were 3. The all terrain challenge in 2001, (Won by Andrew Mills?) The red bull ride 2002(Andrew Mills) and Red Bull ride ii 2003 (Sam Hill)

Insurance, lack of on going sponsors and international riders complaining that the lines in between stunts were too technical for them to show their mad air skills .....

Was it Tyler Super T Klason when asked how he felt about being beaten in a free ride contest by top level Down Hillers said
"untill sam hill wins a world cup race he can lick my balls. Sam Hill wouldn't even dare go to Utah lets see him drop big (i don't think so).The original freeriders are the god's not silly sam hill"

This was on a trail that the US guys were saying the big drop had too flat a landing and stood back until Grant Allen dropped it. Then Sam threw a no footer in off it in the final

shore_2

Likes Dirt
That original course near the dam was nuts. Way too steep for average Joe. Where was the last red bull ride run? Course looked much better.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
I've also done a lot of driving around the country, and the following areas have me more than keen to try some big mountain stuff one day:

- Flinders Ranges - HEAPS of big mountain stuff, just damn remote. Took my AM bike and rode from the summit of St. Mary's Peak (not actually legal, but damn fun...).

- Some in The Grampians, although again, not legal...

- many areas throughout Tasmania. Tassy - I think - probably has more Open (ie. rocky/desert with few trees) than anywhere else I've been, particularly in the Western Mountains.

- Flinder's Island - some seriously BIG and open stuff in and around Mt. Strezlecki.

I'm sure there's many others, but these are some that I know would have some good stuff. And as others have said, many would be seriously remote (& probably damn hot too).

poita

Likes Dirt
Thought I'd go for a bit of a thread dig.

Painted desert, the breakaways and a few places around Coober Peedy would work very well but being allowed to ride them would be nearly impossible. I've found most places that look awesome are usually very very culturally significant to the traditional owners. If they decide to let people ride, then go for it, but they have already been raped and murdered enough to have a bunch of riders shredding out their sacred sites aswell...

In saying that, I'm sure there would be some cool stuff on stations that you might be allowed to ride?

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
117674d1131999766-nathan-rennie-smashes-world-bicycle-long-dist-jump-record-before-spectacular-c.jpg

This was near Coober Pedy somewhere (Check out the background). Some big hucks out there from memory last time I've driven through

Gripo

Eats Squid
Was watching one of those "weekender" programs on 7 Qld recently when they mentioned "jump up" country in north-western Qld.....

Actually it's an aussie term for messa formations, looked like a great place to explore in the winter time, it was a property stay situ though I'd imagine that they'd be open to mtnbike riding....though I'm sure that you'd be regarded as crazy for wanting to pedal.

chinski

Likes Bikes
Last edited:

poita

Likes Dirt
Sometimes our Offshore Tugs swing off in Karratha & on the flight from there to Perth there is some massive red hills in the pilbara that would no doubt be awesome to ride, would have to be based in Karratha & go from there so pretty far from most of Aus but definitely some big fresh hills out there .

http://www.seniorswotodo.com/home/q...-region/australia-s-north-west-pilbara-region

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13571010@N08/7600105010/
For sure, I lived in Karratha for a while. One problem though is the big rocks, would need some crafty lines and a few pairs of hands. And you would need a very very rich energy drink company to pay your accommodation and costs.... At least Coober Peedy is soft-ish for building?

gcouyant

Farkin Advertiser
Just wondering if anyone has ridden anything in australia or if there is anything around that you could kinda class as big mountain riding,desert style mountains or anything else. maybe a silly question but just curios cheers....
Good grief man you're in Canberra! There's a whole High Country right at your doorstep. Bombing down from the peak of Blue Rag, Billy Goat Bluff, The Pinnacles, Zeka, Caledonia Spur, OMG there is so much!

You get into a 4WD and Climb.

And climb some more.

And when the rest of the convoy can't climb any further, you keep going

Reach the peak and throw a leg over the bike and you will have tens of km of sensational downhill fun. Some of the best and longest in the world.

You'll have an idea of how fast it can be when you drop over a thousand metres of elevation and there's still snow packed into the pedal.

Seriously, you have so much *real* downhill terrain within easy reach.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Too late, if you'd replied before his riding buddy had sold his full nuts Patrol he'd probably have asked for more details. The OP is recovering from two broken legs right now, so stromlo would be massive for him right now.
Looks cool though. What can you get too that you could ski if you had a 200meter rope tow/generator?

topic

Likes Dirt
Good grief man you're in Canberra! There's a whole High Country right at your doorstep. Bombing down from the peak of Blue Rag, Billy Goat Bluff, The Pinnacles, Zeka, Caledonia Spur, OMG there is so much!

You get into a 4WD and Climb.

And climb some more.

And when the rest of the convoy can't climb any further, you keep going

Reach the peak and throw a leg over the bike and you will have tens of km of sensational downhill fun. Some of the best and longest in the world.

You'll have an idea of how fast it can be when you drop over a thousand metres of elevation and there's still snow packed into the pedal.

Seriously, you have so much *real* downhill terrain within easy reach.
are you driving up two sticks in these pictures going up mt coree? i have thought of driving up there and riding down but like no skid marks wrote i broke both my legs and slowly recovering lol going to have to give it a go when im back on the pedals.