Big things I hate - Psychology! Please read.

syphon_the_python

Likes Dirt
Mentally deficient-militant-geriatric-feminist-sociopathic-neo-Nazi psychology lecturers who get freaky thrills out of abusing students who ask perfectly reasonable questions, in order to cover up their sheer grinding inadequacy.

Psychology lecturers who have a PhD in "science", yet are incapable of understanding the concept of an independent variable.

Infantile psychology lecturers who copy and paste the textbook onto slides, read them at us for two hours, then repeat. People ask questions to which they answer, “Uhhmmmmmm...look in the text??!!”

Pitiful attempts by psychologists to justify their "science" by using statistics, and Ohhhh NoeZsss TeHH reSeARCH MethodsSS 111 _shift111.

The tendency for psychology to compensate for its lack of rigour by enforcing draconian formatting rules. I’m sorry, but the fact that the indentation of the introduction paragraph is three fifths of a bee’s weanus times the square root of the vector of Mars’ rotational velocity relative to a chicken’s doodle is not going to improve the validity of your ridiculous research. Psychology’s mooching off medicine’s scientific validity. I’m sorry, but a discipline which has its roots in a delusional, drug dealing, china-snorting sex addict has very little credibility.

Psychology’s senseless preoccupation with concepts which are merely constructs. For example, intelligence doesn’t actually exist, it’s just a word we use for people being competent at a range of arbitrarily chosen general abilities.

Psychology’s obsession with extensive correlational research regarding said constructs. For example, examining whether or not there is a correlation between intelligence and creativity. What a retarded question. Clearly there is no absolute measure of either, idiots.

People who think that psychologists can read minds. They can’t, and for the above reasons, I think they’re probably worse than a non-psychologist.

Psychology’s tendency to assume that “if you think correctly”, nothing will ever go wrong. You’ll never be depressed, anxious, stressed, grieving. You just need some CBT. I’m sorry, but if my entire family have been brutally raped and murdered I’m not to be helped by some numpty talking about my underlying cognitive constructs. Some things are just bad. (NB. Just an example!)

Psychology assignments which ask students to work backwards from a retarded, nonsensical hypothesis to use past research to justify research that no thinking person would ever engage in.

Psychology’s tendency to take something inexplicable, eg. human love, then claim to have explained it with some detestable 3-D pyramid or flowchart. Please go and die.

Psychology exams which aim to examine everything except the course content. It seems as if they’re chiefly interested in how well we can remember the exact definitions of words, which have perfectly analogous terms from common language. Then they ask us to write an essay about an irrelevant detail from the course. Muppets.

Psychology in general. It has ruined something which I believe could be a fascinating and worthwhile field of study.

Can anyone relate to my experience?

Maybe I’m going mad ARRRRRGHHHHGGGGGGGGG!!!

Last edited:

Crittski

Likes Dirt
teehee, you used the word numpty, gives me the giggles...

Sorry, I haven't ever studied psychology formally, but I will try to use the words "numpty" and "muppet" in an insult within the next week...

Cypher

Likes Dirt
That is an awesome rant.

Numpty. tehehe!

And yes, I can relate to the experience. My partner did the subject at uni, for which I was dragged kicking and screaming (ok, not really) to review his essays. I am still not sure what it was all about.

Middo

Likes Bikes
Did first year psych at uni. Loved it (though can't remember much of it today)
Loads of conceptual waffle interspersed with interesting tidbits of info, girl:guy ratio about 100:1, 3hr multiple guess exams. Two of the easiest Distinctions ever....... What's not to like?

Norco Maniac

Is back!
i feel your pain. the little i've had to do (read: Cert III level) for my other quals and the people in the classes with me has put me off delving further into the subject.

i'd like to add to your rant: psychology students who do the course to sort their own crap out but end up using the parameters to further justify - and project onto you - being completely f&cked up.

Red Rocket

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Mentally deficient-militant-geriatric-feminist-sociopathic-neo-Nazi psychology lecturers who get freaky thrills out of abusing students who ask perfectly reasonable questions, in order to cover up their sheer grinding inadequacy.

Psychology lecturers who have a PhD in "science", yet are incapable of understanding the concept of an independent variable.

Infantile psychology lecturers who copy and paste the textbook onto slides, read them at us for two hours, then repeat. People ask questions to which they answer, “Uhhmmmmmm...look in the text??!!”

Pitiful attempts by psychologists to justify their "science" by using statistics, and Ohhhh NoeZsss TeHH reSeARCH MethodsSS 111 _shift111.

The tendency for psychology to compensate for its lack of rigour by enforcing draconian formatting rules. I’m sorry, but the fact that the indentation of the introduction paragraph is three fifths of a bee’s weanus times the square root of the vector of Mars’ rotational velocity relative to a chicken’s doodle is not going to improve the validity of your ridiculous research. Psychology’s mooching off medicine’s scientific validity. I’m sorry, but a discipline which has its roots in a delusional, drug dealing, china-snorting sex addict has very little credibility.

Psychology’s senseless preoccupation with concepts which are merely constructs. For example, intelligence doesn’t actually exist, it’s just a word we use for people being competent at a range of arbitrarily chosen general abilities.

Psychology’s obsession with extensive correlational research regarding said constructs. For example, examining whether or not there is a correlation between intelligence and creativity. What a retarded question. Clearly there is no absolute measure of either, idiots.

People who think that psychologists can read minds. They can’t, and for the above reasons, I think they’re probably worse than a non-psychologist.

Psychology’s tendency to assume that “if you think correctly”, nothing will ever go wrong. You’ll never be depressed, anxious, stressed, grieving. You just need some CBT. I’m sorry, but if my entire family have been brutally raped and murdered I’m not to be helped by some numpty talking about my underlying cognitive constructs. Some things are just bad. (NB. Just an example!)

Psychology assignments which ask students to work backwards from a retarded, nonsensical hypothesis to use past research to justify research that no thinking person would ever engage in.

Psychology’s tendency to take something inexplicable, eg. human love, then claim to have explained it with some detestable 3-D pyramid or flowchart. Please go and die.

Psychology exams which aim to examine everything except the course content. It seems as if they’re chiefly interested in how well we can remember the exact definitions of words, which have perfectly analogous terms from common language. Then they ask us to write an essay about an irrelevant detail from the course. Muppets.

Psychology in general. It has ruined something which I believe could be a fascinating and worthwhile field of study.

Can anyone relate to my experience?

Maybe I’m going mad ARRRRRGHHHHGGGGGGGGG!!!
Quasi-intellectuals using verbosity in an attempt to look intelligent ;)

flamshmizer

Likes Dirt
Did first year psych at uni. Loved it (though can't remember much of it today)
Loads of conceptual waffle interspersed with interesting tidbits of info, girl:guy ratio about 100:1, 3hr multiple guess exams. Two of the easiest Distinctions ever....... What's not to like?
Sounds like the exact polar opposite of engineering. Interesting....

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
I’m sorry, but the fact that the indentation of the introduction paragraph is three fifths of a bee’s weanus times the square root of the vector of Mars’ rotational velocity relative to a chicken’s doodle is not going to improve the validity of your ridiculous research.
Oh man I lost my shit when i read that!

Josh Seksy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sorry, but what? Statistical methods are one of the best ways to justify soft sciences.
Ahh, because if P<0.05 then the results are statistically significant and there is a less then 5% chance the results are due to chance and not the effect of the independent variable alone.

I feel smart now :cool:

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
HA!

I went through this same tirade during first year med school..

A mate, far more eloquent than I, said "between amateur hour neurological justifications and inventing an entire industry and nomenclature to describe commonsense they can go and get fucked".

They are, undoubtedly, a massive bunch of tools.

Woah, woah. Slow down there son! You need to take a good long look at YOURSELF, because these people in the audience sure are looking at YOU! *applause* Now where in the heck do you get all these negative views about Psychology from? Son YOU need to take them negative views, and turn them into what I call POSITIVE views. *applause*

Alot of people fall into this trap, over and over again (and you can read about them in my book "how to get out of traps") and I tell them every TIME, they need to be positive and affirmative! It's a process I like to call it "positive-affirmiation". Can you say that with me? "pos-ih-tive, Affirm-eyashun". Good, Now we sent our camera's into your house to see what you get upto on a daily basis and I'd like to talk to you about some of that.

We recorded you saying:
"Psychology’s senseless preoccupation with concepts which are merely constructs. For example, intelligence doesn’t actually exist, it’s just a word we use for people being competent at a range of arbitrarily chosen general abilities."
*booo* How does that make you feel? If Psychology has concepts which are merely constructs, then doesn't that mean that your negative energy is also a construct apon that construct? You see, you can't blame psychologists, they are like guns and guns don't kill people, PEOPLE kill people. Now with that in mind try to imagine your problem as if it were a toaster. You see where I'm getting at?

REMEMBER: toasters don't toast toast, toast toast toast... I hope that clear's things up for you and thanks everyone that's all we have time for.

PirateKing

Likes Dirt

Incidentally I have a friend studying psychology, and I've heard everything you said before.

+1 to Dr Phil.