Bigger forks

Cypher

Likes Dirt
What are the considerations if I replace 80mm or 100mm forks with 120mm on a frame?

I'm looking to get a 29 inch MTB bike for commuting (mostly) but also as an alternate trail bike to my dually. The women's offering are crap and generally come with 80mm or 100mm fork.

Yes, I know the front end will be higher and that 120mm forks are probably not as efficient when commuting - but I like riding down steep stuff and 100mm just doesn't cut it. I don't race.

My alternative is to get a man's frame and try to make it fit (I have real stumpy arms). I have never done this sucessfully - the top tubes are too long.

Cheers!

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If that extra 20mm travel is what you want - just do it ! I have done the same to a few rides in the past, and have not regretted doing it. The geometry changes will be minimal - i believe every 10mm added to fork length slackens your head angle by .5 of a degree (approx) , which would agree with your steep trails. Maybe a decent second hand pair could be the way to go ? ( your call ).. Cheers - Rick .. :decision: