Bike appears to be ghost shifting... story inside.

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
Hi all, i have a question about my bike.

Its a 2008/09 (around that era) Giant glory, has a sram x7 rear shifter mech.

When i bought the bike the rear inner cable was broken so i had to replace that and i fitted it myself, adjusted all the gear lockouts on the rear shifter and it was changing gears fine.

i had it adjusted perfect and now after 4-5 rides i can not get it to keep a gear selected while pedalling down a track. So im guessing with the suspension movements and me trying to put power through the drive train its probably ghost shifting on me. the idler wheels on the shifter are loose-ish, which possibly isnt helping this problem, but i think it might be something more than this.

where the shifter cable is routed on the rear swing arm down to the shifter itself looks out of place to me? but this is how it was routed when i got the bike, so i just copied that.

what im really after i suppose is if any one has had this problem with this specific bike, and what they did to try and fix this problem?

ive attatched a few pictures that may or may not help!

Attachments

mitchy_

Llama calmer
there should be a housing from the last mount on the seat stay, to the derailleur itself. the cable seems to be pinching at the derailleur, possibly causing your problem.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
sorry. the top bar of the rear triangle.

see in the last image, there is the exposed shifter cable? that should have a housing over it.

like this...

ChopSticks

Banned
In your last pipicture where you can see bare inner gear wire running from the mech to the metal tab of the rear triangle.... There should be a outter gear cable over it!

Not An exposed inner cable as you have

btw
wanna sell me that chair?

have thought about pinching it from a closed store but that would be too risky

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
where your current cable ends....there should be another cable adjoining it, and finishing at the deraileour.

the jokey wheels may be loose but are they worn. I can't really tell.

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
hmmm i wonder if i can get that piece of the internet? maybe ill have to buy a whole new length?

also good spotting of ronald haha, didn't see i got him in the background!, sorry he's not for sale!

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
hmmm i wonder if i can get that piece of the internet? maybe ill have to buy a whole new length?

also good spotting of ronald haha, didn't see i got him in the background!, sorry he's not for sale!
LBS should be able to supply outer and ferrules to suit.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
a bike shop should be able to sell you a small length. if you're going to the trouble it's worth replacing the whole length though, a metre or 2 wont cost much.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Resolution isn't brilliant, but in addition to what's been picked up regarding the outer casing, it appears the inner cable is clamped on the wrong side of the anchor bolt. That will also throw the leverage & shift indexing out of whack.

that_stoney_one

Likes Dirt
thanks for everyones suggestions, ill make a trip to my LBS and try get some new cable this week or next! hopefully try to slowly fix this problem!

thanks again!

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
+1 for needing the outer housing, whilst your at it lube up the inner cable with a thin oil of some description (i use tf2 cycle oil, but whatever works), will make your shifts feel 10 times more better :thumb: