Bike bags for air travel; what do you use?

LabRat

Likes Dirt

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Evoc are good but they will cost you in kgs as they are over double the weight of a CRC bag.
Ive used a CRC bag, and just bought a Brand X bag (which is identical to the CRC one). The CRC one ripped and im struggling to fit my glory in the new one even with forks removed, it weighs in at 23kg (with my 18kg bike). The hard case ones wont fit DH bikes, they are also heavy.

Propagate

Likes Dirt
I second the evoc. Havnt used mine yet, but looks very well made and well padded. Seems a lot more substantial than a lot of bags, which would account for the weight at about 6kg, but I'd rather pay a bit of excess luggage than fork out repairing damaged bikes.

eddylong

Likes Dirt
the brand x 1 has separate wheel bags, do these bags fit inside the bag, otherwise you will get slugged with excess luggage.

i am flying with Air Canada their policy states the bike bag will be included as a part of your 2 pieces of allowed luggage. so if the wheels are separate that means 2 extra pieces.

correct me if i am wrong !

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
the brand x 1 has separate wheel bags, do these bags fit inside the bag, otherwise you will get slugged with excess luggage.

i am flying with Air Canada their policy states the bike bag will be included as a part of your 2 pieces of allowed luggage. so if the wheels are separate that means 2 extra pieces.

correct me if i am wrong !
This is correct. The wheel bags will add an extra 3kg though, which I can not afford as Im going to Europe and only have a 30kg limit all up!!! They will however fit inside the bag so no worries there however it is a squeeze, but with a bit of rearranging you will get there. Be careful with pressure points on the bag though as it WILL rip, so put rags around metal stuff that could puncture though.

With the 2x23kg thing, last time I removed my shock, tubes and pedals and stuck them in my other bag so I could put more bulky things inside the bike bag, like body armour, shoes etc... Its worth playing around with different packing options.

Has anyone taken an inner tube, shock or pedals on as hand luggage? Do you rekon you would be allowed?

Landon

Likes Dirt
Bike Bags

I wouldn’t use a bike bag to transport any bike that I cared about. From my experience, it's far better to just source a quality card board bike box, package your bike properly inside, and pay the excess baggage if required. Bike bags are a recipe for buckled wheels and other bent parts on arrival. It can really take the fun out of your trip. If you’re going point to point, just plan ahead and kindly ask a local shop to keep a box for you.

T-Rex

Template denier
Cardboard box

I've done a fair few flights with bikes, I would recommend a cardboard bike box. For a smaller bike just scrounge one from your lbs, for a big bike eg a DH bike, buy a Qantas bike box for $16.50, they are the maximum allowable size. I have managed to get seven flights out of one. You need to reinforce the corners and grab holes with duct tape. Also, check out the "flying with a DH bike" sticky in the dh forum.

DOWNHILLPHILL

Likes Dirt
Just one of those normal luggage ports, a big one of course.....

Everything fits the frame fork wheels hangars, chuck all the little bits in the spare compartments.

if you position the wheels towards the rear of the frame and the forks on the side of the frame where the saddle and headtube is you can even fit a helmet, just unscrew the visor n chuck it in one of the the spare compartments so it doesnt snap.

Aside from this it's low profile no one is ganna see it and think "wow that must be a good bike in that bag lets steal it"

And because it's not brand name like dakine or alpinestars etc it's cheaper, and instead of a soft bag it has a hard plastic shell around it..... like any normal traveling bag does...

captaintumeke

Likes Bikes
I just received an EVOC but at 8kg I don't think ill use it. My bike weighs 13kg which leaves only 4 kg for gear. On most flights where an extra bag costs $20 - $50 (each way), I prefer to only travel with one bag and save $. A cardboard box has previously been my prefered luggage as its light and you can see any damage done during transport.

Sent from my C5503 using Tapatalk

Johnn

Squid
I just received an EVOC but at 8kg I don't think ill use it. My bike weighs 13kg which leaves only 4 kg for gear. On most flights where an extra bag costs $20 - $50 (each way), I prefer to only travel with one bag and save $. A cardboard box has previously been my prefered luggage as its light and you can see any damage done during transport.

Sent from my C5503 using Tapatalk
Don't forget your carry on allowance, which can be quite generous, when calculating total weight allowable. It's just as important to select the best carry on luggage which suits your needs.