Bike Cleaning - Chains

Exie

Likes Dirt
Hi Folks,

Decided to invest some effort in cleaning the bike yesterday, so took the chain+cassette off, put them in a tub of water based degresser, got to it with the toothbrush but found it wasn't very effective.

Normally it comes up like new, but this time I can still see black gunk on the outside of the chain. I recently changed to that Muck-Off C3 lube and wonder if thats the problem.

I was scrubbing for nearly 45 minutes and getting nowhere, it wasn't much cleaner. I prefer not to use anything too harsh (eg oven cleaner, BBQ cleaner, kerosene, acetone etc) so I'm thinking about trying the ultra-sonic cleaner to get it nice and shiny.

Any ideas on best ways to clean your chain / cassette ?

mark22

Likes Dirt
Ahh you will make an unnecessary mess of your Ultrasonic cleaner for no real reward.

I spray Simple Green all purpose cleaner (Bunnings) neat on the drive train and brush cassette then put a bit in the chain cleaner neat (link below) then hose off and relube when dry, I do this after every ride and my drive train last heaps longer than it used to using my previous half arsed method.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Bike...604458?hash=item1a05fcd16a:g:dr0AAOSw-nZToqBi

Maybe just start with a new chain is it's too far gone.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Toothbrush and squirt of $2 degreaser from supercheap along the length of the chain. Hold the toothbrush against the chain and run it backwards.

Another squirt and hold the toothbrush against the cassette and chainrings whilst rotating it. Hose it all off.

Then a soapy bath all over the bike and a good dose of chain lube to soak in before the next ride.

Mine gets this treatment every half dozen rides.

Last edited:

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
Go buy one of these (http://www.parktool.com/product/cyclone-chain-scrubber-cm-5-2) and get some degreaser to use in it (https://www.bunnings.com.au/diggers-1l-degreaser_p1560295)

Then buy a heavy duty scrubbing brush (https://www.bunnings.com.au/sabco-handled-scrub-brush_p4480050) and give your cassette a good old once over.

Total investment for years of clean (enough to ride and not win any best dressed awards) chains is about $40.

About the same value as the 45 mins you spend taking your chain off an scrubbing it in a bucket of soapy water.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you're opposed to kerosene (nature's greatest degreaser), there are a heap of citrus oil degreasers that work almost as well.

herbman

Likes Dirt
Wire brush the chain, cluster and chain ring. Wipe with a rag And then re-lub

Degreasers remove the lube from the pins and will shorten the life of then Chain.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I only clean them when the sound of sand crunching get annoying. Which is rarely. There's something about Rock and Roll Extreme lube that helps avoid the need.
And if I do need to wash a chain then I use kerosene...then I rinse the kero off with fire. Why not?

Ours is not to reason why. Merely to point and giggle.

Exie

Likes Dirt
Update - Just used some Kerosene, worked like a charm.

I do use a parts washer in my bike shed, and it worked great when I was using the blue rock 'n roll.

I think it must be the C3 ceramic lube stuff that really bonds to the chain or something. I usually clean it every other week and make sure I give the chain a good soaking in lube before reassembly.

Dont laugh, but I used to love that Pedro's Ice Wax, it was so clean and easy to apply, but sadly its hard to find now-a-days thus I went with the C3.

My only hesitation with using Kero to clean is I feel like its a bit harsh and rubs off some of the gold coloring (KMC chain) which does nothing but look nice, but I like it all the same.

Thanks for all the tips everyone!

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Another chain cleaning thread... :tinfoil3:
One of those great entertaining topics that always gives so much and never ends.

I prefer the popcorn and bean bag approach and just watch it all unfold and try hard to exercise self control and STFU. That is also pretty difficult too. :shocked:

jamesb888

Likes Bikes
I have a Park Tools CM5.2 cyclone chain cleaner that I bought of CRC for $24 it works really well if you just put petrol or kerosene in the liquid compartment at the end.

You could probly burn the petrol off at the end if your game enough but I'm still pretty happy with my bikes paint job sooo.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flow-Rider

Burner
One of those great entertaining topics that always gives so much and never ends.

I prefer the popcorn and bean bag approach and just watch it all unfold and try hard to exercise self control and STFU. That is also pretty difficult too. :shocked:
Yeah, I have a bit of a sick sense of humour at times but definitely one of the most boringly asked question across any type of cycling forum whether it's road or dirt and a lot of the times answered by many people that don't even have any sort of mechanical back ground what so ever. There is a lot of concern over a part that is expendable and it's like sacrilege or religion on how to clean it. Don't worry about me, waiting for the 3 alternative chains to pop up, which I think is a good idea but carry on with the popcorn.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
There is a lot of concern over a part that is expendable and it's like sacrilege or religion on how to clean it. Don't worry about me, waiting for the 3 alternative chains to pop up, which I think is a good idea but carry on with the popcorn.
True, the chain swapping over multiple cassettes to extend the life of the chain and cassette isn't far away.

I think the disc vs. rim brakes is done and dusted. How are we up for wheel sizes? Surely there is a minor jihad / religious war still raining there with plus sized tyres. Maybe the hub sizing with boost and all will do it.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Cleaning chains, what's that?

Ride, lube, ride, lube, ride, lube, etc, etc, x 100. Then replace chain.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Don't need to worry about cleaning chains when you've got a hub motor e-bike.

I'll see myself out...