Bike Cleaning Survey

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Hi all!
Im conducting a survey about bike maintnence and cleaning for my Design and Technology HSC major work. It'd be really good if you could take a few minutes to fill out this survey, your time would be much appreciated.

Link to survey:
http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?sid=p4ag7iovkzvqpl88882

About the design:
I am planing to make a hands free chain cleaning and lubing device. I feel that these devices are a really good idea but the ones i have seen on the market I personaly wouldn't want to touch with a brage pole, they look flimsy, weak and they dont look like thay do a particularly amazing job either, if you belive contrary please let me know! id love to hear. If you have any suggestions, ideas or questions please reply to this post, the more oppinions i get the better! anything that you think may be relevant, thankyou!

*Note: They survey creator i used only allows 50 responses so if the link doesn't work, let me know so i can take this down, thankyou!

Last edited:
Interesting idea for a HSC Major Work, Best of Luck! I've completed the survey to help you along.

I use the Park Tools chain cleaning device and i have to say it's well built and seems to be effective. I have never used another brand so i can't compare it to others. Not sure how you'd go about creating a hands free device but i'd be interested to see the results.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
Just to Answer a few of your questions.

First off I apologise for the spelling, i did this in Microsoft word originally and copied it across although some of it got a bit scrambled in the process, since i checked it in word firstly i did not think to double check it once it was online, and i apologise.

Secondly, I have had criticism about my terminology, im sorry, im not a bike mechanic, but i think my description of most of the componentry was adequate. I have only been riding for a few years now and still have much to learn so I will take the advice on board for the next survey i conduct. it also makes it slightly simpler for people who, like me, have only a basic understanding of the components of a bike.

Some Answers to some of your questions about the design itself:
In regards too the actual final product itself I do intend to make a hands free cleaning device that will serve two purposes, to clean and then lube the chain. I will either do this through having two similar devices or use the same device for both processes, it will depend on what my research of the different cleaning products and lubes shows, whether i can use the same device for both or will it be too hard to rinse out the liquids (I imagine that the lube, especially a wet one could be difficult). It wont clean and lube at the same time but I will ensure that both can be done hands free.

A bit more about the project:
The aim of the whole project is to make chain cleaning and maintenance a simple and easy task, I don't know about everyone out there, but i know that i have spent hours sitting on the back lawn with my bike flipped up and toothbrush in hand meticulously scrubbing each chain link to remove all the grime and dirt accumulated from that last epic ride. this often takes me an hour alone for just the chain. also I have had experiences in the past where i have been riding with a friend and have had them complain and complain about how their chain makes so much noise, it gets stuck and rusts a lot etc. when i enquire about how they clean and look after it they seem to look at me as though im from another planet 'what'd ya’ mean lube?'. Some people, i have come to realise, don't know the difference between a degreaser and a lube, hard to believe but true, so i figured that to create an all in one easy to use device that even the most mechanically incompetent person could use and still get the difference between cleaning and lubing right would be a good idea.

A bit more research got me thinking that current chain cleaners look like crap and would probably fall apart after a few uses. And just examining the set up of the design makes me wonder how hard these things must be to use without a workshop stand or having to flip your bike.

So that is some more background information about the project, any input I get is very helpful and I will take all suggestions seriously, so please feel free to leave comments.

skwiz05

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I use my Park Chain cleaner regularly. And I use ProLink lube. I dont use any degreaser. Fill up the cleaner with prolink, put it on the chain, backpedal a few times, and presto, clean and lubed chain. 30 seconds of effort.

It isnt rocket science.

ride_29er

Likes Dirt
I have taken into consideration that there will be variations because of suspension set ups, frame sizes and differing geometry, i have access to five very different bikes to measure from (plus all 500 at my local bike shop) these include my bike a Giant XTC 29er, a Giant Anthem X2, a Giant AC, Specialized Enduro (with some luck ill be able to get measurements of these two) and a cheap K-mart bike. so hopefully the wide range of measurements will allow me to find a design that is suited to a very wide range of bike set up and styles.
so hopefully i will get a winner with these measurements, but it wont be without a challenge