bike-components now showing up geo-blocking

teK--

Eats Squid
What timing... They were still shipping as of yesterday when I was gonna order... Lucky I since changed my mind about sram otherwise I'd be pissed if I tried to order today...

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Major bummer - bike-components have great service too.

Mind you, with the looming GST on all online purchases coming July 2018, the dollars start to even out a bit compared to say mtb direct. I like using the Pike as an example because everyone can relate to it:
- bike-components (if you could still buy it) - 2018 160mm Pike EUR688 + EUR20 shipping or EUR708. Using PayPal's current exchange rate puts it at around AUD $1030, and with GST, $1133 (assuming no customs duty or courier clearance fees etc.)
- same fork, mtb direct, $1170

Other examples are not as close, there were SRAM items on b-c that were significantly cheaper than anywhere locally.

So much for the global free market...

A few of the other German sites are still operating without geo-blocking, but it's only a matter of time until they are forced to follow suite, I guess.

tkdbboy

Likes Dirt
Noooooo R.I.P Bike Components.

They still have competitive prices for other items ... but I got most of my SRAM from them

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah its a bummer

I really like using them to order small parts

chain reaction hack still works

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
Major bummer - bike-components have great service too.

Mind you, with the looming GST on all online purchases coming July 2018, the dollars start to even out a bit compared to say mtb direct. I like using the Pike as an example because everyone can relate to it:
- bike-components (if you could still buy it) - 2018 160mm Pike EUR688 + EUR20 shipping or EUR708. Using PayPal's current exchange rate puts it at around AUD $1030, and with GST, $1133 (assuming no customs duty or courier clearance fees etc.)
- same fork, mtb direct, $1170

Other examples are not as close, there were SRAM items on b-c that were significantly cheaper than anywhere locally.

So much for the global free market...
Never use PayPal's currency conversion, they charge more than our greedy banks.

I got a 2018 pike from them when they first had stock and it worked out to $960 all up. The dollar was slightly better at the time, but not when it cleared customs but I managed to dodge that bullet

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Never use PayPal's currency conversion, they charge more than our greedy banks.

I got a 2018 pike from them when they first had stock and it worked out to $960 all up. The dollar was slightly better at the time, but not when it cleared customs but I managed to dodge that bullet
I don't use PayPal, was just trying to provide an example that people could relate to. I've got a Bankwest Mastercard with zero fees on currency conversion and no foreign transaction fees.

Anyone used Bike(3letterwordformotel), they seem to still sell Sram to us?

Last edited:

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because its getting constantly posted on this forum! Yes, Bike*** is ok but shipping may take a while. Only a matter of time before that gets shut down too if continually posted!

teK--

Eats Squid
Just found this article...

http://www.bicyclingtrade.com.au/fe...bal-vp-visits-australia-to-talk-about-pricing

Might explain Sram's MO, but sounds like protectionism / Australia tax to me.
At least he's honest. Doesn't say anything at all about promoting competition by selling to Australian distributors/retailers at price parity to their overseas counterparts.

Their geo-blocking has been very effective! It made me decide not to buy SRAM but instead go with one of their competitors :whistle:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Same here. Once the stash of SRAM is used up, it will be from others for me, probably one up, hope, box and Shimano.

c3024446

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The amount of little stuff those Germans stock is amazing (e.g. Reverb air shafts). Can't get any of that on from an Aust online store, guess you'd have to go to the LBS and order one? And of course it wouldn't be in stock and you'd wait forever and it would be $$$.

Please no-one else post about geoblocking, and which sites still work.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just thinking, it will be interesting when Amazon hit our shores

I've got some killer deals on Amazon for bike bits