Bike for 6'11" + rider?

hodges

Likes Bikes
Hi everyone,

Let me start by saying sorry. I've probably not used the forum in over three years.
I'm a bit out of whack with it all. I DID try the search bar a few times and found no previous topics.
So here I am.

I'm looking to help my friend find a bike. A hardtail would be great (but not vital), nothing too serious. He is looking for fitness really. Up to about $2000.

The big issue is his height, 6'11" by memory (7' for arguments sake). 120kg+
In short, you don't want to be on his bad side.

Has anyone had experience with finding a bike that isn't a 36er for a rider this tall, or know of any bikes off the top of their head.
All help is appreciated, thank you.

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I wouldn't feel too guilty about not turning anything up with the search (mal)function; it's wholeheartedly shithouse on any/all forum platforms....

Most frame manufacturers' standard ranges go up to XL frame size, but at 7' your mate would probably want something more like a FH (Fucking Huge) frame size.... :p Giant used to do an amusingly appropriate XXL in some models, but I don't believe they have for some years now (and can you imagine how ridiculous they looked on 26" wheels?! :p )

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Has he considered lashing out and getting a custom frame? Riding and ill fitting bike is going to put a lot of strain on his body.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Read this:

http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/best-bikes-tall-guys-1030312.html

Off the top of my head, something like this would be just about the longest mainstream hardtails out there:

http://nukeproof.com/products/scout-290-sport/
https://www.trekbikes.com/au/en_AU/...s/roscoe/roscoe-8/p/23608/?colorCode=greydark
https://www.specialized.com/au/en/mens-rockhopper-pro-aus/p/154153?color=240219-154153

Maybe someone could find ones with a longer than 475mm reach? Is there only new school geo mainstream duallies?

At that height, I think the reach should be well over 500mm to fit properly.

Last edited:

moorey

call me Mia
Riding with a 6’8” dude the other day. He was on a sweet sweet custom order Starling. Gorgeous bike.
Edit. Just noticed budget. Sorry.

ctguru

Likes Bikes and Dirt
fully custom titanium hardtail frame for ~US$1000 would be my starting point. Budget would probably be a bit over $2k built, bike at least the frame would be the correct size

Binaural

Eats Squid
I've seen some of the bikes that 7" NBA players ride, and they are 100% custom even for mucking around. He should bite the bullet and get a basic custom frame ex China after getting measured up by a local builder.

For those of you here suggesting a XXL: here's hall of famer Bill Walton, who's 6'11-7" barefoot and super into bikes. https://twitter.com/billwalton/status/798326342685102081
There is no way someone that tall is going to fit on an XXL unless they have t-rex arms.

Is your friend in Sydney? I've got a custom titanium road frame from Velofix in Rozelle because I am not amazingly tall (6'5) but have a 7ft wingspan, making regular bikes handle pretty strangely. The frame cost about $2k by itself, but will last him a lifetime. It may be worthwhile talking to them anyway because they might have some frame building contacts in less expensive materials such as steel.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Budget is going to be your biggest problem. The xl Poles and the xxl Litevilles would work but they would cost $2k+ just for the frame.

There are chinese custom made frame options like Waltly but that would still chew up most of your $2k.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Budget is going to be your biggest problem. The xl Poles and the xxl Litevilles would work but they would cost $2k+ just for the frame.
The Germans have an XXL Liteville that might end up costing under $1500 landed:

https://www.bike-components.de/de/Liteville/H-3-MK2-Rahmenkit-Modell-2018-p62565/

Still not enough left over for a decent build.

But @Binaural makes some good points. , and a Liteville XXL is still recommended for 195-205 which may well be too small.

Binaural

Eats Squid
But @Binaural makes some good points. , and a Liteville XXL is still recommended for 195-205 which may well be too small.[/QUOTE]

If he's not sure he wants to invest in a frame, there are ways to get a virtual enlargement that I've done myself due to severe budget constraints from when I was at uni. Specifically,

1. Get a setback seatpost in the max length AND a longer than ideal stem, then run the seat at the rear of what's possible on the rails. The biggest problem with frame fit when you're tall is cramped reach and bad body position. The extreme setback comes at the cost of poorer pedalling position (long feet help compensate for this). However, if his feet are size 15 and upwards (mine are 16), then he might find the length of his feet make the poorer biomechanics a wash.
2. Get 29er wheel size rather than 27.5.
3. Go for 180mm cranks if possible, they will be biomechanically better suited to someone extremely tall
4. Get the steerer uncut and space like crazy to bring the front up.

Canyon do a hardtail bike for 1840 that supports up to 204cm for about 1840 (Grand Canyon). If budget is immovable, try something a little under budget so he has some bucks left to try some of these things. That plus some of the mods I've suggested might get him close enough.

Overall though, 6"11 is so unusually tall that even with these mods he's going to be a bit off. Something like 17% of all American men that height have played in the NBA. Perhaps he could do something like this and get a custom frame once he's got a taste?

brawlo

Squid
Have a browse through this https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...cRDPqN8oJC3tCy-kdNzjuRI8M/edit#gid=1599555236 (it's not totally up to date)

And have a play with this http://www.bikegeo.net/# for a visual comparison of various bikes

2k will be tight, but you could get the Pole XL in TR build landed for about $2200. I just purchased a Pole Taival frame myself yesterday for just over $1k if he wanted to build it himself (they're apparently currently in a production run due for August). The Honzo isn't far off for size in comparison, but when I went to see a Kona dealer about a month ago, there weren't any big ones in the country apparently

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
An XL size frame will be fine, don't get too caught up in making sure the size is gonna be spot 'cause you know why? They aren't. You can spend billions on getting a bike that fits perfectly and rides the same as a bike suggested for your size. Many people will suggest a correct bike fit is crucial but me? Nah, I know what I want in a bike and at 6ft 4" you'd assume I'd only go XL minimum. I have some large size frames in my stable and they fit a shit ton better than some XL's.
For example:
A Giant reach (stem to seat) is typically too long for me and I'd ride a size smaller than they suggest. The length of the seat to the bottom of the pedal stroke is important to get the correct power down.
A Norco reach is typically smaller than Giant and I can manage an XL or a large no worries. My personal preference is a Norco over anything as it seems like they build bikes around my size.
A Specialized is similar to Giant, they seem too stretched.
There's tons of frames you could investigate but my advice is to stick to a budget, get an XL frame and 29 inch wheels and go ride bikes. If the guy is new to it and just wants to roll around then the choice can be confused too much by the science that goes into it which can be so simplified by just getting the biggest frame in a manufacturer's brochure.
I'd suggest hitting the Norco site and grabbing something but this time of year is the end of the current model's and getting something may be tricky and you may have to rely on what shops have in the store. That poses another problem as not many stores will stock an XL frame.
Also look at Bicycles Online and gauge an idea of what may suit.