bike for trial?

brodie_rider

Likes Dirt
hey guys ur all champs to me but I am trying to get into your sport but I;m not sure if my bike would be good. I ride a 14" dirt jumper (the 14" is the frame size)
what do u rekon

gbowen444

Likes Dirt
hey guys ur all champs to me but I am trying to get into your sport but I;m not sure if my bike would be good. I ride a 14" dirt jumper (the 14" is the frame size)
what do u rekon
You can learn the basics on any bike and have fun with it. I started on a STP and that lasted me 3 months before I knew I was going to be serious about the sport and get a trials dedicated bike.

You will be able to do, trackstands, rocking, hopping, rollups/pedal ups, bunnyhops, rolldowns, wheely drops and the fact that it is a DJ will probably ,mean you wont break to much stuff. Once you get past those moves though, you will find it hard to do rear wheel stuff and natural will be especially hard.

As long as it has good brakes, you should be OK. perhaps think about a rigid fork as an upgrade if you start liking trials.

:p maver :p ur cool trials u can't even dirt jump haha kidding yer im starting on an stp1 its pretty sweet!! how was the snow??
:D from jakkee mcstravick

Last edited:

Triggs

Likes Bikes
lol liek yeah man u can't speak english lol. Seriously, take the time to use english and grammar properly. This isn't an instant-messenger. As for a trials bike, i have a freind who's just getting into trials. He rides a 20" rhino, it's not a bad ride. Definatly go for a 20" to learn on though.

Meat Pie

Likes Dirt
yeah the trials bug has started to bit in, learning to trackstand and rearwheel hop's and the like. currently using an stp but want to get serious.

what i want to know is how much harder would it be just to continue using my stp, if you do trials on a normal dj/street frame could you please tell what it's like or am i just wasting effort/time and should just go for a trials specific bike?

your opinions on the situation would be much appreciated. also tell us what bike you started on and what you ride now.

thanks

Povi

Likes Dirt
meat pie:
by continuing to learn trials on a street bike, you will find it difficult to progress to anything on one wheel or even more complex 2 wheel moves. you will also find that parts will start to die because while you are learning, you're not the smoothest rider and those parts are not made for trials

donkay

Likes Dirt
think about it, learning on an STP...once you CAN do trials on it, and move to a REAL bike you'd be GOD

But as far as about to do things on a Dj or stp bikes, it's DO-able to an extent...like you can pull out the usual bunnyhops, trackstands and backhops...but my god it's just soooo much effort on a heavier bike with a different geometry

worth to spend a couple of hundred and buy a cheapie trials bike, once you know you're REALLY interested and able to do everything on a beginner's bike, re-sell, pass it on to another beginner (Generally Rhino's go around) and buy a REAL bike ;)

Povi

Likes Dirt
worth to spend a couple of hundred and buy a cheapie trials bike, once you know you're REALLY interested and able to do everything on a beginner's bike, re-sell, pass it on to another beginner (Generally Rhino's go around) and buy a REAL bike ;)
or my bike :cool:
best things to learn on are mods i think, because they are so flickable and light, and you can do small stuff on a gutter and step up to big rocks and walls. if you really think you want to do trials, then spend maybe just that little bit more on something that has a bit better spec so it will end up lasting you a long time without you having to upgrade too soon

mitchp2

Squid
a stp i think would be an alright bike personally to learn on, i don't really ride trials i'm more into dj, freeride and park but i can do a few trials things, i ride a cromo p2 which is a brick but i can still bunnyhop it like 3ft so an alloy dj bike would be a light bike for me to move around and learn trials on

Macbeth

NSWMTB
The problem with DJ bikes is not the weight, but the geometry..... You can definitely learn the basics on them, but you really have no room to move on the bike once you get it up on the rear wheel....

I'd always recommend a smaller XC frame over a DJ......