Bike hellllp!!!!!

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Ok so a mates right into his road riding and I enjoy goin out with him once a week, but it's not ideal on my zesty!!! I don't want to spend heaps on a road bike and really like the style of the old vintage racers! Im looking a a few like theseImageUploadedByTapatalk1410341380.037912.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1410341405.068472.jpg

Were doin around 50/60km rides with a few decent climbs, will it be worth getting a bike like these? Will they be comftable enough? Will they climb ok??? Or are these just good for riding 200m to the coffee shop!?? And help would be rad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnacles

Likes Bikes
Old bikes are badass, we have a guy who comes along with morning rides in Rugby shorts, and a loose-fitting jersey on a 90's road bike with no bottle-cages and a green squeezy horn and he beats about 50% of us up hills, so yes, you probably can keep up on them! However, it can be difficult to source parts given how many new standards have come on the market recently, but if you're mechanically minded, you can definitely keep one of these things running sweet!

Otherwise look entry level 105, good luck deciding!

Hellyeah

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK................ so the first thing you do is grab him by the neck and say..........

"GET A F**KIN MOUNTAIN BIKE"

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Subject to fit, they will likely be more comfortable than any alloy frame you could get at near that price point. Problem is the drivetrain will probably be flogged out so you will no doubt end up spending money on that. And down tube shifters, nah, not fun nowadays.

Could you be happy with something like a Cell (or similar house brand) alloy frame with carbon fork model ? Gets you warranty and a new drivetrain that will work heaps better.

If you want retro cool then get the bottom one with drops and brifters.

Also, make sure it's 700c not 27"

Fish90

Likes Dirt
OK................ so the first thing you do is grab him by the neck and say..........

"GET A F**KIN MOUNTAIN BIKE"
Hahaha I did that.....and he bought my hardtail off me which helped pay for my zesty haha ;)

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Subject to fit, they will likely be more comfortable than any alloy frame you could get at near that price point. Problem is the drivetrain will probably be flogged out so you will no doubt end up spending money on that. And down tube shifters, nah, not fun nowadays.

Could you be happy with something like a Cell (or similar house brand) alloy frame with carbon fork model ? Gets you warranty and a new drivetrain that will work heaps better.

Also, make sure it's 700c not 27"
They both say "fully restored" but that can mean anything haha yea I'll have a look at some cell bikes now thanks mate

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge

Also, make sure you grow a beard, and knit a nice riding scarf

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
oh knuckles...you so funny
Finally, the recognition I deserve.

But seriously, it's road riding, drunk old dudes do it to and from the pub on ancient pieces of shit. If you're not breaking away from the pelleton(?) over the Alps, a bike that fits will work fine. And steel is real.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
pickup a roadside throw-out or go to your local tip, that's where I got mine. Then replace the necessary clapped out parts from reid cycles for under $100. win.

Fish90

Likes Dirt
Finally, the recognition I deserve.

But seriously, it's road riding, drunk old dudes do it to and from the pub on ancient pieces of shit. If you're not breaking away from the pelleton(?) over the Alps, a bike that fits will work fine. And steel is real.
Haha good point and I'm not goin to be doin any racing so aslong as I can keep up! I kept up on my zesty so I'm guessing these will still be abit better to road ride with even if they are 30 years old ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410343859.295267.jpg

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
think those bikes will have their limits on longer rides especially on climbs ... the gearing aren't ideal.

it won't be long before mate will want to go 100k, not hard to do on a roadie so a bit like mtbing you need a reliable and not too heavy rig. then you've got the descents, and the fact you don't want to get stranded with sub-standard gear.

I've been there used to have an old hillman - steel frame, gearing required roids on a hill and every frickin ride would have some drama - it was just too old for long rides, unless I spent over 500 on new parts, well new bike was better option.

anyway road biking in mountains is just about as much fun as the mtb, so if I were you I'd go onto bike exchange and browse road bikes via cheapest

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/s/road-bikes?sale-type-ids=4&sort-by=cheapest

depends on your budget of course, $1000 ideal, $500 just enough.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Of the ones you posted so far, my pick would be the Shogun (1st post, 2nd bike). Drop bars (not related to drop bears) open up a wider range of hand positions - up on the hoods for cruising along & climbing, down low for descending, punching into a headwind & chasing wacky-racer sprint points.

Contrary to what someone else said before, there's still quite a bit of compatibility between current & that vintage gear, and suitable replacements for any worn-out bits are not that hard to find.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
If you go vintage make sure you get something with index gearing at least. I had a vintage roadie without and changing gears was shit as they were so hard to line up. Just my 2c. I might just be retarded...

T-Rex

Template denier
I'm not goin to be doin any racing so aslong as I can keep up!
Well, thar's ya problem. Unless you've got thighs like Anna Mears, when you get to your first decent hill, you won't. Both those bikes have gearing that will be very hard on a prolonged climb.

As a recent convert to long bunch rides to the coffee shop, I would go with a second hand 105 or Ultegra spec bike, I got one for $800 a year ago. Having really got hooked, I'm about to upgrade to a $4k carbon Giant.

BTW, road has massively improved my trail riding.

Edit: Just noticed the third pic, that's got better gearing, but the shifters on the down tube will shit you to tears, trying to change gears when you are out of the saddle. Nice pub bike, though.

Last edited: