Bike Insurance

diggerz

Likes Dirt
Hey Guys and Gals,

Just wondering what people have out there for bike insurance? Good companies? Experiences? Preferably on the cheap side.

I live in the city and drive to the trails with at least one, sometimes both, of my brand spanking carbon Norco's on my bike rack on the back. I'm just waiting for the day where I get rear-ended with my pride and joy on the back, leaving me up the creek financially as they would not be covered as part of my car insurance. Right?

Mainly concerned with the driving aspect as they live securely in my bedroom, 8 floors up in an apartment.

Any help is greatly appreciated and please point me in the direction of an existing thread on this topic if there is one.

Cheers!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well this is a fresh topic never before discussed in great details on the forum...I'd suggest trying a search.

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well this is a fresh topic never before discussed in great details on the forum...I'd suggest trying a search.
Have you actually successfully used the POS search function on this site? I haven't.

I had portable insurance cover on my MTB through my home and contents with AAMI. Recently claimed and had a good experience. Be careful with bike specific insurance because they have clauses in their PDS such as having to secure a bike to the ground or wall with approved (their approval, not a standard)locks etc.

jameslockyer

Likes Bikes
Use Google, dude:

"bike insurance site:rotorburn.com"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey mate i just put all mine on the house insurance, i could claim up to 20k on them which would definitely help if some arse muppet got a itch to try get past my local bush turkeys guarding them...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you actually successfully used the POS search function on this site? I haven't.

I had portable insurance cover on my MTB through my home and contents with AAMI. Recently claimed and had a good experience. Be careful with bike specific insurance because they have clauses in their PDS such as having to secure a bike to the ground or wall with approved (their approval, not a standard)locks etc.
Yes I have. But this works better:

Use Google, dude:

"bike insurance site:rotorburn.com"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This advice was posted in the site problems/suggestions section, but was deleted. It should be article somewhere really obvious.

beerye_

Squid
Hey mate i just put all mine on the house insurance, i could claim up to 20k on them which would definitely help if some arse muppet got a itch to try get past my local bush turkeys guarding them...
I wouldn't be do house insurance again after have 3 bike stolen and getting sweet F.A . I came across velosure and it may meet your requirements weblink below.

https://velosure.com.au/

Last edited:

beerye_

Squid
What company and what circumstances were they stolen under ? Did you have them listed as specified items ?
100% noob at the time, bike where stored in my storage cage and not visible from the street and can't remember if i had specified them and was with WFI

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
I wouldn't be do house insurance again after have 3 bike stolen and getting sweet F.A . I came across velosure and it may meet your requirements weblink below.

https://velosure.com.au/
$800+ per year to cover my bikes.... Yeah Nah.

I'd like to hear the circumstances of the insurance company not paying out.... I feel there's more to this than first appears?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Shinigami

Likes Dirt
$800+ per year to cover my bikes.... Yeah Nah.

I'd like to hear the circumstances of the insurance company not paying out.... I feel there's more to this than first appears?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
same.

i had a look at the MTBA bike cover but it looks to be underwritten by my home insurer (QBE)

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Mine are listed on my contents insurance, RACQ. Think it was about $50-70/yr extra. Covered if stolen/damaged during transport or at home etc, just not while riding

Sent from my SM-T805Y using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Southern Cross are great if going OS out of Australia.
You can specify on your home insurance , we use a broker who will tell you all the costs and catches if claiming.
For some trips I just take a cheaper, less attractive bike .

Jim Junkie

Used to sell drugs, now he just takes them
I've got mine under the Home & Contents with RACQ, up to a defined value. Got a claim in progress at the moment for a crash I had at Thredbo, cracking the steerer tube. From the initial discussion with them, there has been no argument that the crash is covered for repair or replacement, I just need to get it assessed.

Well worth it and from memory much cheaper than a bike specific insurer like Velosure or similar.

Mine are listed on my contents insurance, RACQ. Think it was about $50-70/yr extra. Covered if stolen/damaged during transport or at home etc, just not while riding
Not the advice I got during my claim, but then again it's not completed yet, so we'll see. The PDS only states 'accidental damage' with no exclusions for riding, so it does appear that I'm covered. I was pretty clear on it being a crash on the trail while riding during the claim. The travel insurance on the other hand specifically excluded DH mountain biking, so no go there.

Edit to update: All approved. Got to say, pretty easy to deal with, no issue with the fact that I was mountain biking in another state at the time either.

Last edited: