Bike lock and chains

cameronpatrol

Likes Bikes
gday
Im looking at getting a lock and chain for my bikes, mainly when they are on the bike rack, but also so i can ride to the shop and lock it up while i run inside to grab things.

Ive been googling around for a fair while now and I was pretty keen on the Kryptonite chains.
almost about to click buy and found some more reviews saying that you can open them with a Bic pen.
well found some vids on youtube confirming that you can in under 15 seconds open up a 160 buck lock.
pretty shit i think, and also a bloke using his key to open up someone elses lock.

So does anyone have any input on the Kryptonite chains and locks or know of another brand with the gold rating.
im looking at spending up to 150 bucks.
cheaper would better but id rather pay the coin to have something that some prick wont just cut off.

also im after something with a bit of length say around 150cm or more, to try and go from the frame and around the towbar on the car.
I can get another cheaper cable to go around wheels etc.
Cheers Cam

Ideate

I'd go have a read through the lost and stolen threads.

Personally I'd avoid chains unless the links were thicker than your forearms. Can't you make a U lock work? I've got a Krypty U lock. Makes me feel somewhat more secure (more than a chain). I say that because I've got bolt cutters that cut chain like butter and I've seen so many times a bike locked up that could have been easily stolen because of it's whimpy chain/cable lock.

If you value your ride, try to put yourself into the crooks perspective. Then make it really hard to see yourself stealing your bike.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I have been the victim of bike theft too many times. Always have the bike locked up, but a determined thief will get through the lock if they want to. Or undo parts from your bike that aren't locked up. The quality of your insurance I far more important.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Locks will stop your mum from stealing your bike, that's about it. 95% of locks can be opened with a can of aerosol computer cleaner and a small hammer. The Kryptonite joke has been well known for years, I think they took the apple stance on that one. If we fix the problem, that's like admitting we were wrong, let's leave or head up our arse.

Bikes in public places are going to get stolen eventually.

Buy a Huffy for the milk run, even tweakers know they're not worth the effort.

ChopSticks

Banned
Made a post about locks a while ago.... Was finding a safe way to lock my Uni <-> work commuter

i ended up buying a 6 foot Kypto cable and a mini Kypto u lock for the front wheel... And a massive Abus fuck off lock to secure the frame

It was the Top of the range abus... Graint x-plus.

a benefit of the chain is you can wear it like a belt ;)

your bike just needs to be hard to steal than the one it's locked next to ;)

Last edited:

financialwar

Likes Bikes
Locks will stop your mum from stealing your bike, that's about it. 95% of locks can be opened with a can of aerosol computer cleaner and a small hammer. The Kryptonite joke has been well known for years, I think they took the apple stance on that one. If we fix the problem, that's like admitting we were wrong, let's leave or head up our arse.

Bikes in public places are going to get stolen eventually.

Buy a Huffy for the milk run, even tweakers know they're not worth the effort.
Can you clarify on the Kryptonite joke? Because I have never heard of it. So I have only seen angle grinder able to get through the top tear Kryptonite U locks.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Can you clarify on the Kryptonite joke? Because I have never heard of it. So I have only seen angle grinder able to get through the top tear Kryptonite U locks.
It's tier.

You're trying to hard, bring a kilomerico next time.

The shackle isn't the problem.

stirk

Burner
I lock my bike in the garage to the shelves for security. A week ago I needed to hacksaw my bike lock cause someone lost the keys. Cable type lock about 1cm in diameter.

Only took a few minutes to cut through.

I would not trust a cable lock again, maybe ok for quick stop at shops but not great if the thief has time and cover.

financialwar

Likes Bikes
I lock my bike in the garage to the shelves for security. A week ago I needed to hacksaw my bike lock cause someone lost the keys. Cable type lock about 1cm in diameter.

Only took a few minutes to cut through.

I would not trust a cable lock again, maybe ok for quick stop at shops but not great if the thief has time and cover.
yeah, but who carry around a saw or bold cutter with them? Cable lock is designed to deter opportunistic thieves.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
yeah, but who carry around a saw or bold cutter with them? Cable lock is designed to deter opportunistic thieves.
I cut the cable lock off a second hand bike I bought, that the seller didn't have the combination for. I used a leatherman, it was like tapioca. Lots of people carry leathermans. Hardened chain or if you don't mind your wheels getting nabbed a dlock.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
That does not answer or explain any thing about the Kryponite joke thing. Are they good locks or not?
They are good locks, especially the heavy duty D locks, but they are not impervious to a thief with the right tools and a little bit of time. Nothing beats an angle grinder with a battery pack.

The pen thing relates to this, which is no longer an issue as the locking mechanism has changed.

[video=youtube;PCxHD9_uEf8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCxHD9_uEf8[/video]

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Length of chain + padlock from bunnings, cost me about $6 in total! I used to lock my bike up at work with this combo and leave the chain and lock on the bike rack!

The guy in Bunnings struggled to break the chain with big bolt cutters so I'm pretty confident it was secure enough!