Bike NSW board nominiations are open. Please nominate me

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Bike NSW board nominations are open and I would like your help to get elected. If you are a Bike NSW member you can sign a form to nominate me. I need 5 signatures from members.

Why should you do this?

Bike NSW is the biggest cycling body in NSW. Way bigger than MTBA (of which I would like to nominate for the board also, so please remember me). Bike NSW is there to represent recreational cycling of which mountain bikers fall under this category, but are sadly under-represented – if we are thought of at all. All the other board members are not “mountain bikers”

In Sydney we have a problem with access to recreational mtb trails; many people have worked hard to make the trails and advocate them. I’d like to add my voice and time by doing it from the Bike NSW board.

Mountain bike tourism brings the dollars; look what has happened in Derby, Tasmania. We need to get this happening in NSW – already there is the beginnings of a couple of road trip loops (Coffs/Taree; Central Tablelands etc). What can we do to make it better?

I do not intend to compete with MTBA if I am elected – rather the Bike NSW board offers an opportunity to get more resources to help what everyone is trying to do now.

Most of us in Sydney would be Bike NSW members as we commute also and are covered by the insurance. Let me represent you.

My credentials

• I have been a mountain biker for 20 years (back in the time where we hucked to flat and had elastomer forks – thank god we moved on!)
• I lead regular group rides Silent Revolution – the women’s mountain bike collective
• I commute by bicycle nearly every day, regardless of the season or weather
• I’m involved with trail days to maintain local trails
• I’m building my own backyard gravity trail
More seriously:
• I have a diploma and Grad cert in Business Administration
• I have been a board member for 5 years with Sutherland St George Community College so I understand and have board experience

Please PM me if you would like to help me so I can get the form to you

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I'd love to support you and what you want to see happen but any mention of MTBA's involvement in any sort of trail advocacy and support is laughable. I've spent a hell of a lot of time building great trails, running sweet events, promoting my sport and sharing it with tons of cool cats and I've subsequently had the system shit on me and make it too hard for me to be part of this big picture. We all miss out when the system rolls like that.
I'm not attacking you Cypher, I'm just offering the opinion of the other side that have zero belief in clubs officiated by the MTBA rule book and this thing that everyone has who thinks MTBA need to be part of any sort of mountain bike event or social ride. They don't need to be part of anything and we all need to stop thinking they do.

Cypher

Likes Dirt
I'm not attacking you Cypher, I'm just offering the opinion of the other side that have zero belief in clubs officiated by the MTBA rule book and this thing that everyone has who thinks MTBA need to be part of any sort of mountain bike event or social ride. They don't need to be part of anything and we all need to stop thinking they do.
This is why I wanted to be on the MTBA board too. I really dislike races (I have anxiety disorder) and really that is all I see MTBA offering*. I do like trails though. I'll give it a shot, maybe it wont work out. But I'd like to try. Also on the Bike NSW board

*Also a little controversial (and maybe unAustralian), I'm not really all that keen on elite sports people either. There is a lot of effort spent on getting them to win races. But there is little evidence that they encourage us plebs by being 'role models'. What is encouraging is a trail network with facilities and a community to ride with

SlowManiac

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is why I wanted to be on the MTBA board too. I really dislike races (I have anxiety disorder) and really that is all I see MTBA offering*. I do like trails though. I'll give it a shot, maybe it wont work out. But I'd like to try. Also on the Bike NSW board

*Also a little controversial (and maybe unAustralian), I'm not really all that keen on elite sports people either. There is a lot of effort spent on getting them to win races. But there is little evidence that they encourage us plebs by being 'role models'. What is encouraging is a trail network with facilities and a community to ride with

I think MANY people feel that way - good luck.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member

Good reply, nice to know you're thinking that way. ;)
I'll speak for a handful of elite racers here and say that I haven't seen any support that paves the way for them to be a better rider from MTBA or any governing body. Hell, I know guys that are still waiting for prize money for race results!

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
Dozer;I'm just offering the opinion of the other side that have zero belief in clubs officiated by the MTBA rule book and this thing that everyone has who thinks MTBA need to be part of any sort of mountain bike event or social ride. They don't need to be part of anything and we all need to stop thinking they do.[/QUOTE said:
I'm totally with you Dozer
I to am an event organiser and secretary of an MTB club.
I cant see what MTBA offers clubs [other than liability insurance]
However....
The issue [from my understanding] is that we are need liability insurance to run events.
Individual clubs cant afford to source their own insurance hence we need MTBA as a "peak body".
As a club if we could sort that issue out I think we would happily kiss MTBA goodbye.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
However....
The issue [from my understanding] is that we are need liability insurance to run events.
Individual clubs cant afford to source their own insurance hence we need MTBA as a "peak body".
As a club if we could sort that issue out I think we would happily kiss MTBA goodbye.
Australia needs to get real on this sort of shit and put the responsibility on the person who chooses to enter events. If you don't have your own insurances then you should get some! It's ruining the existence of most sports and driving costs to a point that makes it a total waste of time to attempt to give something to the community.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
However....
We are of the same mind! I'm still waiting for news on their Trails division that had a job filled how many months ago? I can't recall any significant mention of MTBA trail work in any of their newsletters, especially for NSW.

safreek

My credentials

(back in the time where we hucked to flat and had elastomer forks – thank god we moved on!)
you had me until this, never thought either was non trendy. I guess some of us are are stuck in the ninetys

slowmick

38-39"
Good luck with it Cypher - I'd give you a nomination but i'm in the wrong state. It would be nice to have someone who likes mountain biking on the Bike NSW board. Not all cycling is road, touring and commuting..

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good luck with it Cypher - I'd give you a nomination but i'm in the wrong state. It would be nice to have someone who likes mountain biking on the Bike NSW board. Not all cycling is road, touring and commuting..
Likewise....hope you get a spot Cypher and maybe get to shake things up a little. Good luck!