BIKE POSTAGE!!!

trenta23

Likes Dirt
If someone interstate wants your bike, what do you do??? how do i send it, if u have done this before please tell me

aslo how much is freight?

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Trenta, "how much is freight" depends on weight and size and where exactly it's going to.

If sending Aust Post you need to box it up as "out of square" as possible so they don't "cube it" as freight... i.e run a tape over it, convert it to a cubic measure and multiply by $250 per cubic metre. If they do this it could cost $60-90... but if you spend the xtra ten minutes cutting a box down so it's a diamond or triangle shape you will probably get it down to $20-30. We send frames all over the country and the average price is about $11-13 frame only.

Check with your local post office... they also have size limits and you'll find that 1.2 metres (which just happens to be about the wheelbase of so many bikes) is the limit.... and 25kgs of weight.

Pack it tight, write FRAGILE and DO NOT CRUSH all over it and off you go.

Couriers will charge a fortune (I've heard of some people getting stung $120 for a complete bike Melb to Bris.

Hope this helps

Rik

logged out
Just a note, even though they have set weight and dimension limits, the individual postal workers can refuse to carry an item if they think it's too heavy or bulky to be safely handled.

Grip is right on with cubits, it works out to be 250kg per cubic metre, but if it's an odd shape, you get away with just plain old weight.

petri

Likes Dirt
Hey, make sure that you put a spacer in between the rear dropouts so the rear end dosen't get bent in transport. If u don't have any, pop into the shop and i'll give u one. Cutting a piece of wood 135mm long (Standard MTB width) also works well.

Rik

logged out
It might be good to get the shop to pack it for you if you're unsure, they shouldn't charge much either.
When shipping, you've gotta be really careful, as the bike can be abused like nothing else.

Both wheels should be taken out, and spacers put in the dropouts. Pedals should be removed, same with bars, stem and seatpost. All this stuff should be padded up, and attatched securely. It might pay to remove the rear derailleur too.
Everything sensitive should be padded up, and then it all taped up tightly in a bike box. Especially since you're selling it, you don't want any chance of things to go wrong.