Bike Rack

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
I just went through all of this recently. The biggest problem is the weight of the bike and the length of the fork. DJ and XC bikes are no problem, even ONE light FR bike with single crown will be ok. My DH bike with 888 was no good, forks too long on the back of a 2010 mazda 3.

I would do the tow bar option but one that is removable. It is more expensive but it will be safer and easier in the long run. I chose roof racks as we surf and snowboard and wanted one solution for all 3. Bad choice. If I was to do it again I would get a tow bar, that whistle really pisses me off!

My advice, since you asked for it, spend the money. You did on the bike, spend it on the transport also. This last you for a while but you will want to upgrade eventually and you spend more in the long run. If you don't have the cash now or it is not your car, take the bike apart to go riding. You wil be happy that you waited.

Hope I helped.

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
Thanks mate, extremely helpful post.

I can see where you're coming from.

Are there any bike racks out there that will cater for a good mountain bike? Roof racks are out of the question so it'd have to be towbar/strap.

Money isn't a problem..

I ride a Specialized SX Trail...has 66 single crowns so not going to have the fork issue...

Currently I've been taking the front wheel off and putting sheets on my back seat and putting the bike in there, but it does become quite a pain and the inside of the car does get a tad dirty even with the sheets down.

edit: Car in question is a BA Ford Falcon XR6, that is also quite low to the ground...ultra low king springs all round.

Warfare

Likes Bikes
I'm saving for a gripsport one at the moment.... 4 bike highride. currently have a 'beak' style 4 bike carrier, which only just (awkwardly) fits 4 mtbs of various types. It's not the best, still holds bikes quite low... my Reign X1 needs an adapter bar, and the front wheel hits the ground on ramps and even small driveways if I leave it on. Dodgy.

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a mate who has a Hollywood carrier.
Very similar to the Gripsport, but looks a bit more professional in the build quality.

I would recommend it to anyone.

rayza

Likes Dirt
Very similar to the Gripsport, but looks a bit more professional in the build quality.
looks can be very deceiving..

edit: i just looked at some pics of the hollywood racks - now i have no experience with them and they are probably a great rack, although, i have no doubt whatsoever that a gripsport hi-ride rack will be stronger and of better build quality.

Last edited:

Reece.

Likes Dirt
I just went through the exact same problem!
I thought id take the gamble on one of those "boot mounted" bike racks and holy shit it is the best thing since sliced bread! It does not scratch the car/dent it if you take your time installing it! i have put 2 dh bikes on it with ease and also 1 BMX bike, 1 4X bike and a xc bike at the same time and it works a treat!
I use it for my ford falcon and its AWESOME!
My parents also use on their cars and same deal. GREAT, they drive a Mercedes benz S class and the other a CLK class and the rack is awsome.
When the bikes are on there is very little movement as it is attached at 6 different points (topx2, sidex2, bottomx2(either sides))
Mine was 99.95 bucks at the local bike shop and is top notch.
It was a good result for all, towbars on the oldies cars was about 2000 plus labour each :O so i thought the rack would be great for them too as they have bikes to ride around southbank etc and i am yet to fault the rack, IMO dont go get that 25 dollar one, go fork out the extra for the one i have or similar ( i will get name model and photos for you tomorrow)
Ill get back to you
Reece.

Grip

Yeah, yeah... blah, blah.
Hmmmm..... let me think.

GripSport bike carriers = full lifetime warranty that's even transferable between owners.

Every other bike carrier in the world = not.

Now lets talk build quality ;)

:D

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hmmmm..... let me think.

GripSport bike carriers = full lifetime warranty that's even transferable between owners.

Every other bike carrier in the world = not.

Now lets talk build quality ;)

:D

Good to see you stand behind your product. I wasn't bagging the Gripsport, I only said that I liked the look of the Hollywood rack a little more than the Gripsport.

I would be very happy to own either of them.

Plus my opinion is unbiased, yours is not ;)