Bike rack?

damonlandsdown

Likes Dirt
hey guys,
lookin for a bike rack that holds the bike in place using the crank, or the bottom of the wheels , somthin like that. but i cant find any stores in australia that are what im lookin for.
any help would be GREATLY appreciated

Bundy boy

Likes Dirt
I have a track work stand and the hi ride bike carrier and they are just great to use.
Strong and easy to use and will outlast a nuclear blast.

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
dude you have some slick gear on your site. bit expensive though, we made a rack that was almost the same for less than $150
But would you sell them for $150 if that was your primary source of income?
Did you come up with the idea on your own or did you get "inspired" by the grip ones?
I'm guessing the latter, so you'd need to add hours (days?) of design, prototyping etc to the cost.

MtbDjRidaSachaz66

Likes Dirt
Hey guys I have got a question. Yes I know I am going a bit off the rails here but, are bike racks allowed to be used by "L" Plate Drivers??? I have read the Road Users Handbook (which is the book you have to study for all the road rules and such), and I have searched all over the net for an answer, including the RTA website... yet I have found no answer to my question.

Answering this question would be much appreciated as I'm quite curious to know whether "L" Plate Drivers are allowed to bike racks on the back of a car...

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
But would you sell them for $150 if that was your primary source of income?
Did you come up with the idea on your own or did you get "inspired" by the grip ones?
I'm guessing the latter, so you'd need to add hours (days?) of design, prototyping etc to the cost.
i've been on the forum for like 2 months now, bike rack was designed and build 3 years ago.

and no i would definatly jack the price up, took hours of measurements, cutting and welding to build. i'm not saying grips gear is no good i was just adding another option to the thread, providing you have the right tools.

Last edited:

Cooch

Likes Dirt
Hey guys I have got a question. Yes I know I am going a bit off the rails here but, are bike racks allowed to be used by "L" Plate Drivers??? I have read the Road Users Handbook (which is the book you have to study for all the road rules and such), and I have searched all over the net for an answer, including the RTA website... yet I have found no answer to my question.

Answering this question would be much appreciated as I'm quite curious to know whether "L" Plate Drivers are allowed to bike racks on the back of a car...
A bike carrier rack is regarded as an accessory, so you'll need to check with your State or Territory licencing centre. Each State/Territory is different.

That said, you'll need to ensure that your licence plate is not obscured and that you can see your tail lights. If not, you'll need to attach an accessory plate (circa $22 from dept. of transport) and get some trailer lights attached. You'll also need to attach your L plate.

Simsoi

Likes Bikes
Hey all,

Ran a gripsport rack on a Daewoo Ceilo a few years back. Got pulled up by the cops and they cited something about length of the rack extending past rear of the car, (I think it was a ratio issue, so if my car's wheelbase was longer, no problem).

Other than that license plate visibility and if you run an accessory plate, light that sucker at night.

No answer to your question but

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt

or you could just get someone else to drive the getaway car...

D_Nine

Simsoi you are correct,the bike rack cannot protrude past the rear of the vehicle by more than 60% of the wheel base of the vehicle as measured from the rear axle centre line.I'm gone ! Got a Thule heavy duty rack to carry 4 DH bikes well over! Also if "any" part of the bicycle covers "any" rear lights you must have auxillary lights on the rack ! How many of us have these !