Bike sale scam??!

Anna85

Likes Bikes
Hi all,
I was browsing the MTBA classifieds website as i am in the market for a Trek Top Fuel or similar... and came across this link....

http://www.mtba.asn.au/classifieds/detail.asp?iType=13&iAd=4771

Claiming to be able to send a Top Fuel 9.9 (which is usually 10k) for USD $ 3,516.00
So i decided to email them... however, they claim to be in Middlesex, London, but i was receiving emails from them ... at 3am middlesex time! and why is their prices in USD and not local curency. They claim that they would send "goods" cash on delivery but i had to wire transfer the shipping and insurance cost of sending the bike over:

Insurance Charges === USD 292.00

FedEx International Express === USD 318.00

To me, this screams scam! ...has anyone else come across this... as surely this is not legit!

Anna85

Likes Bikes
and the fact they don't have a website... or that their email addresses are gmail emails!!! hmmm!!!!

T-Rex

Template denier
Well spotted..... shipping costs up front..... you have found the MTB version of the classic Nigerian scam.

jhb

Likes Bikes
I bet they wanted that money via western union too.... people have been pulling this scam with cars for a while, but the other way around (ie they will buy your car - cash on pickup - but you have to transfer them $250 to pay for a courier to come and collect it first).

rone

Eats Squid
They claim to be in Middlesex. Listed as Middlesex 90011. Not a UK postcode. Or Zipcode as they refer to it. I give them a C- for effort.:(

Anna85

Likes Bikes
Yes, they wanted the money via western union: see below email:
and... the English language skills are definitely not something you would expect from someone in the UK...

Dear Anna,

Thanks for your inquiry. I.'m sure you are aware that am not the Company Sales Manager nor the Company C.E.O. It's the company payment policy that all oversea order exportation payment (Shipping and Insurance) should be confirmed cash via Western Union International Money Transfer in other to settle the courier company "CASH AT HAND"

Your transaction with us is 100% secure and guarantee. I'm attaching our company registration certificate to show you that we have been in business for so long and we are very reputable and trustworthy.

We are registered and legitimate Bicycle Dealer and Supplier here in Middlesex, United Kingdom. We are registered under the United Kingdom Government. You can confirm and as well verify our Company Details from the following link

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/5d078d282e96022c24741471f8f36887/compdetails

COMPANY REG.NAME : BICYCLES CASH & CARRY LIMITED

REG.NO : 05111173

We will surely deliver your package in a reliable and good condition without no any problem or delay.

We are very sorry to inform you that our official website is undergoing video and product re-construction process at the moment due to the availability of some new and latest bikes product in todays market.

RE-PROVIDE US THE FOLLOWING SHIPPING DETAILS TO PLACE YOUR FULL ORDER:

Full Name as Indicated in your International Passport or any Valid Governmental ID Card:

Full Delivery Address including ZIP / Postal Code:

Phone Number:

Required Shipping Services:

We are waiting for your response as soon as possible if you are okay with the offer, so that we can Scan and Attach our Company Purchasing Document to you to endorse.

Best Regards.
Mrs Elliot Dianna.
Sales Rep.

On Apr 20, 2011, at 2:57 PM, Bicycles cash and carry Limited <bikesatcashandcarryltd@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Yes, Mrs. Anna. The bike will be ship to you with Owner's Manual along with some accessories.{Air Pump,Hand Gloves,Water bottle including Holder and our Company T-shirt} but pedal will not be included.

The bike showroom cost for pick up buyer is $ 3,516.00

Insurance cost of $ 292.00 will be added for any oversea order.

Hope you understand me now ?

Regarding the payment, we shall provide you the company western union payment name and address to transfer your package shipping and insurance fee only, for us to settle the shipping company to commence your order shipment.

We shall provide you the Company Bank Account details to transfer our product fund (BIKE PAYMENT) upon the package delivery.

The bike will be set up upon your order confirmation before being shipped out to you.

Await to read back from you if you are ready to place your order.

and when i asked for photos of the actual item - they came up with a generic picture from the trek website

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i know in the sneaker world, any time wholesale or bulk, trusted is used... things are dodgey...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
Scam

Yes

They want you to pay WU so they can gain more details. Most people will use credit card, they have your personal email, address and contact numbers now they want your credit card details. Suggest Paypal and they run. Quiz for more details about the bike and they wont ahve a clue. I came across something similar through ebay - was selling a bike.
Obviously dont touch it. Stick to the established OS online store websites or l have had luck dealing with specific bike stores in the US for non mainstream products.
For the price of a Top Fuel ($10k) you could have something custom, unique, taylored to you, not mass produced and not on every second rider you see.
JD

Anna85

Likes Bikes
So i just rang the middlesex company and they dont even sell Treks!!! ... they dont even sell new bikes! Another thing they do is refer to themselves by their last name first then their given name. - i.e. Mrs Elliot Diana ... generally people in the UK dont do that.

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
it's an obvious bike scam thats been around for years

don't bother emailing and wasting your time