Bike shop Aprentieships, are they available

Is there any bike shops in brisy that offer apprentieships in bike mechiancs or similair jobs? Has anyone done the tafe course in bike mechanics, what did you think of it?

cheers,
RIDE HARD!!:)

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Is there any bike shops in brisy that offer apprentieships in bike mechiancs or similair jobs? Has anyone done the tafe course in bike mechanics, what did you think of it?

cheers,
RIDE HARD!!:)
mate, traineeships is what you should be looking into, and yes they exist, i'm currently in one, was going to do a cert 3 but have to do a cert 2 then just add the few extra units, pay is shocking but if you enjoy it then its somewhat better.

paiaro

Pro Rider
yer im doing cert 3 at gap cycles in brisbane...there is 2 of us both school based.. its good but the tafe course is really really shit and boring but yer its available just look around

Hamer

Likes Dirt
mate, traineeships is what you should be looking into, and yes they exist, i'm currently in one, was going to do a cert 3 but have to do a cert 2 then just add the few extra units, pay is shocking but if you enjoy it then its somewhat better.
wow, you can do traineeships? what does it involve?
I just went into my LBS one day and they said "do you want a job?" me: "oh yeah why not"

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
wow, you can do traineeships? what does it involve?
I just went into my LBS one day and they said "do you want a job?" me: "oh yeah why not"
some OH n S stuff, mostly just assessors come round every so now n then and you have to demonstrate your ability to bleed brakes etc all pretty easy, cert 2 is basic, basically service and maintenance, wheel building inst a part but i've done a few already. other units include customer service etc cert 3 goes into more serious side of the suspension where cert 2 seems to only just brush on replacing seals and oil changing not so much the dampening internals.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
Why's this in the DH section?

Wow they have a traineship dealy thing going with Tafe now.
I did a course years ago,ended up doing most of the teaching it was that bad.
That's sorta cool,I wonder when it'll become law if ever,that you have to be certified.

DHDom

Likes Bikes
hey is there anythink like that down in melb i work part time at a bike shop but would like to learn more a bit quicker. and those courses sound realy good

aday

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hey is there anythink like that down in melb i work part time at a bike shop but would like to learn more a bit quicker. and those courses sound realy good
If your working part-time & getting reasonable pay I wouldn't want to change to a traineship as it is usually just an excuse to get cheap labour which pays less, unless they pay you the same I don't see why not. Why not ask them if you can learn more? It would probably benefit them as well. Some may disagree & i'm sure from shop to shop [even states to] it varies pay etc. but at the end of the day it is a way to get cheap labour as bad as it sounds. If you can get a apprenticeship that suits you, go for that as far as i'm aware you get more out of an apprenticeship than you do a traineeship.

sprocket

Likes Dirt
i done the cert 3 for work as our insurance wanted me to get it so they could cover me for repairs ect.... it wasnt that much and if your already in the trade you can wright it off on tax... but i would agree that the tafe course is a bit behind the 8 ball....