Bike shop etiquette - staying to observe the job

Hey there,

This is a question geared towards anyone who's worked in a bike shop.

I'll be taking my bike into the shop to have it converted to a multispeed next week (I have zero tools, little time and expertise and need the job done asap), but I also don't want to miss out on learning how to do it myself.

Is it fair to ask if they could do it at a time when I can stay and observe how they do it?

I don't want it to appear rude that I'm watching them do the job... but on the flipside perhaps they won't keep the meter running for as long?
I don't want to be too paranoid (mechanics gotta eat) but obviously don't want to be taken advantage of, bet they can smell a newbie from a mile away.

Your thoughts?

marc.r

Likes Dirt
woah, depends on the shop I would say. Most would probobly be uncomfortable and will offer an excuse like OHS, no customers in the workshop policy etc. That being said I know of a couple of shops in Sydney who offer workshop openings and actually offer courses like "bring your own bike and we will show you how to fix/service it" They usually charge for this service though. Don't anything about Melbourne shops but possibly locals would know of shops with more "welcoming" mechanics.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I think it's reasonable as long as you don't impact on their time/distract them. However don't expect them to say yes. Consider that their also may be rules with letting customers in the workshop ect.

Zac Hinton

St Bernard
Definitely not. If you have built up a solid relationship with the shop over many years then maybe, but otherwise you are putting them in an awkward position. Think about it if the roles were reversed.

Some shops have maintenance evenings for people to learn the basics at a low cost. This could be a good leading question to ask them. Or just watch YouTube to learn what you want to know, there is everything you could possibly think of. Or make friends with other riders and learn off each other.

Sometimes in car mechanics workshops they have a sign which reads something along the lines of "hourly rate is $100, if you stay and help it's $200 an hour". Moral of the story, leave them alone to do their work.

Minlak

custom titis
I never let people watch when I work it takes too long and sometimes you need to get a little violent and customers get upset.

stirk

Burner
With so many websites showing you 'how to' video's, and so you make sure they don't waste time on the job I say no, fuck off.

Not to mention the OHS rules, insurance and you generally being annoying asking questions while the mechanic want to get on with their job.

Like mentioned above ask about classes or even ask for help here on this forum, lot's of very helpful people on rotorburn, you just need to sift through the dickheads like me....

I smell troll here folks or just stupid question.

shakes

Likes Dirt
With you watching the job will take longer. You'll be chatting, distracting etc. And then on top of getting interupted by customers or phones or on the spot punctures/repairs which can often offend when you have to drop what your doing to help. Most shops know how long certain jobs take and charge 'per job', there is very few places that run off an hourly service rate.

I cannot emphasise how good of a currency beer is in this situation however. Take it in when the job is done, and say Thanks, do you mind running me through the basics of adjusting the gears so I can do it myself on the trail or similar.. If they are decent blokes they will run you through the basics unless they are run off their feet or offer a free on the spot quick tune or something along those lines.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Hey there,

This is a question geared towards anyone who's worked in a bike shop.

I'll be taking my bike into the shop to have it converted to a multispeed next week (I have zero tools, little time and expertise and need the job done asap), but I also don't want to miss out on learning how to do it myself.

Is it fair to ask if they could do it at a time when I can stay and observe how they do it?

I don't want it to appear rude that I'm watching them do the job... but on the flipside perhaps they won't keep the meter running for as long?
I don't want to be too paranoid (mechanics gotta eat) but obviously don't want to be taken advantage of, bet they can smell a newbie from a mile away.

Your thoughts?
So you're, ill-equipped, impatient, unskilled, distrustful, a conspiracy theorist and want to be trained for no cost. I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms.

Seriously, the bike shed at CERES (Brunswick) offer tools, venue, skilled advice/oversight and a supportive environment for those keen to DIY.

Last edited:

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Two things:

1) nothing makes a job harder than helpful advice from a well meaning idiot who promises to just watch but can't remember to keep their stupid yap shut..........

B)........other than not being able to use the judicial application of brute force with a blunt instrument to complete said job because the aforementioned well meaning idiot is watching and will most likely have calf if you do.

Aaaaaand 3) Redbruce is on the money. You'll learn a lot more, faster, by going hands on with skilled advice, rather than watching some pimply minimum wage earner fix it with fire.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
Maybe you offer to teach the bike mechanic how to spear fish while snorkeling in return for bike mechanical lessons.....:behindsofa:

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not an unreasonable question, but +1 for not expecting a yes. I didn't like it when I was in the trade. It's all the things mentioned above, plus you can't guarantee a time. Too many things happen in a bike shop to say "I'll service your bike from 3:45 to 4:10". If a customer buys a bike and needs the geometry/components tweaked, a bike on order arrives late and needs to be built now, the local champ shows up with a broken bike the day before a big race, a job goes wrong and takes way longer than expected or the shop gets busy and you need to serve customers - all these things and more mean your job gets done later, maybe tomorrow. A customer standing there watching you work becomes an obstacle.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I utterly detest anyone hanging over my shoulder watching what I'm doing. Additionally, my workshop is not exactly spacious, and the last thing I want is some inquisitive gumby standing right where I need to be to do my job.

Services in the shop I'm in are worked through first by day required then on an order of receipt basis, so I will rarely be able to tell a customer exactly when I'll be doing their bike. I may rarely allow a known customer to observe a small job if I'm able to fit it in on the spot, but as a general rule it's (a polite version of) piss off until the pick-up time stated on your job card.

Knuckles

Lives under a bridge
Maybe you offer to teach the bike mechanic how to spear fish while snorkeling in return for bike mechanical lessons.....:behindsofa:
Eh? As far off topic as these newbie threads get, that's an awful long way from cryogenic panniers and livestock loving....

Winno

Likes Dirt
I never minded at all.
Our workshop to main shop flow was quite open so it was hard to say no anyway.

stirk

Burner
Eh? As far off topic as these newbie threads get, that's an awful long way from cryogenic panniers and livestock loving....
Firstly, this isn't a newbie thread.

Secondly, I did post a picture of a multi speed!

Thirdly its not quite the year of the goat, one more sleep and you can have your lovin :heh:

I'm in character still...

link1896

Mr Greenfield
yep, back when I was in the trade, I hated workshop visitors too.

$100 hr labor
$150 hr labor if you want to watch
$200 hr labor if you want to help
$250 hr labor if you've already tried, and you bring me parts in a bucket